Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2004 10:03:39 AM EDT

I'm going to be getting rid of my home internet connection in a couple of weeks.

I want to set up an email address to use with all of the web stores I have accounts with. (including my bank, paypal, ebay, stores that have my credit card on file, etc.). Right now I have all of them attached to the email address that is provided by my ISP.

How trustworthy would you say the big free services (hotmail, gmail, yahoo) are compared to an ISP provided address?

What would you use in this situation?
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 10:06:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Gmail, if you want an invite, IM me.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 10:07:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Completely trustworthy. I have everything set up through Yahoo, bank, ebay, Pay online, Amazon, Paypal etc etc. never had a problem. I use a good password and dont check my email from suspicious machines (Such as public machines).
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 10:07:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Yeah I love Gmail, I also have invites.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 10:07:57 AM EDT
[#4]
I would register a domain name with a registrar or hosting company and set up email addresses at that domain.  That way you never have to change your email address ever, even if you change ISPs, or hotmail pisses you off and you decide to use yahoo, or whatever.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 10:16:58 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Gmail, if you want an invite, IM me.

I've got an account there.

I just didn't know if it was safe to use for this sort of thing.

Thanks for the offer.

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 10:18:07 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I would register a domain name with a registrar or hosting company and set up email addresses at that domain.  That way you never have to change your email address ever, even if you change ISPs, or hotmail pisses you off and you decide to use yahoo, or whatever.

That is an interesting idea.

What sort of cost is involved? If I buy a domain, what do I have to do to set up an email address there. I assume I just have it forward all email to whatever provider I'm using at the moment? Do I need to run a server to do this?

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 10:23:29 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I just didn't know if it was safe to use for this sort of thing.

I wouldn't. Paranoid? Maybe. If it's not well encrypted, it's not safe.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 10:31:35 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What sort of cost is involved? If I buy a domain, what do I have to do to set up an email address there. I assume I just have it forward all email to whatever provider I'm using at the moment? Do I need to run a server to do this?

That's a great idea and it's what I've been doing for years. All you need to do is buy a domain from somewhere like Pennywise Domains and put a service like My Domain as the nameservers. Dont' worry about the sound of that it's really simple and you can set it up in seconds. Their nameservers are NS1.MYDOMAIN.COM and NS2.MYDOMAIN.COM. You'll need to set up a free accunt with My Domin then  just add your new domain.

Then using My Domain just redirect all your email to your ISP email address, Hotmail or anything else you want. The great thing about this approach is that no matter how often you change your ISP your email will always be the same.

Hope this helps.

Steve
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 11:00:46 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would go through a registrar that also provides the email service.  I would recommend www.enom.com because 1) I used to work there and 2) My company now uses them to register all of our client's names.  I think register.com also offers email with webmail too.  If you decide to go with eNom IM me and I can get you set up for cheaper than their retail rates.

But yeah, after that you are always whatever@Red_Beard.com or whatever domain name you come up with.  

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 11:12:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Ziplip seems to be pretty secure, and, as I understand it, they're offshore and thus not subject to US subpoenas.  Not that that would matter to anyone around here.

But I use Hotmail because it's faster and easier to use.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 11:13:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Uh, use your ARFCOM account?
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 11:15:29 AM EDT
[#12]
I've been using Yahoo for years. No problems ever.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 11:17:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 11:18:20 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Uh, use your ARFCOM account?

bronze member, so no email

Also, I need one that won't be taken away from me if, drunk and stupid, I make the wrong comment on the forums at some point in the future.

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 11:26:05 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Thats what I did.
Registered at namecheap.com as they were pretty much the cheapest. DNS propgation was around 72 hours.
Hosting is at Ultraunix.net (http://ultraunix.net/?page=home) although theres a few others. I'd be VERY careful who I went with for hosting, alot of people get burned pretty badly by bad hosting companies.

I have 3gig / 7 gig for 8 bucks a month, although there deals change from time to time and I dont think that one is available anymore. Thats also a resellers account though. If you plan on running other apps on it I'd highly recommend Cpanel, although for an advanced user its kinda a non issue.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 11:30:56 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thats what I did.
Registered at namecheap.com as they were pretty much the cheapest. DNS propgation was around 72 hours.
Hosting is at Ultraunix.net (http://ultraunix.net/?page=home) although theres a few others. I'd be VERY careful who I went with for hosting, alot of people get burned pretty badly by bad hosting companies.

I have 3gig / 7 gig for 8 bucks a month, although there deals change from time to time and I dont think that one is available anymore. Thats also a resellers account though. If you plan on running other apps on it I'd highly recommend Cpanel, although for an advanced user its kinda a non issue.

What do you mean by "alot of people get burned pretty badly by bad hosting companies.
" ?

Can you give me an example of getting burned?

I don't think I'd need space for a web page. Just something to make email messages to [email protected] point to whatever email service I decide to use.

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 11:39:17 AM EDT
[#17]
I use KeepAndBearArms.com for my web-based E-mail, and have for years.

KeepAndBearArms.com

They're free, and a great site for KABA news & info.

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 12:10:32 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

What do you mean by "alot of people get burned pretty badly by bad hosting companies.
" ?

Can you give me an example of getting burned?

I don't think I'd need space for a web page. Just something to make email messages to [email protected] point to whatever email service I decide to use.

You pay for the service and it goes down, your mail doesn't work, nobody answers the phone, they go out of business, they lose your mail periodically, if you have web hosting your site goes kaput, they lose your files, etc.  That why I always laugh at people who complain about their "free" email/hosting/image hosting/etc account going down.  You get what you pay for, usually.  That's why I recommended enom (hey, we could do it too, www.ihost.biz/ but enom will work fine for just email hosting).  eNom has over 3 million domains registered and they aren't going out of business soon.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top