Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/25/2004 3:00:30 PM EDT
My uncles recent passing from cancer has made me want to know more about what he did in WW2. He told me some of stories but I'm sure there were a lot he didn't or wouldn't want to talk about. If anyone could guide me in right direction I would appreciate it. I couldn't find anything great.

He was with the 82nd Airborne, 504th. Charlie Company
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 3:12:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Check the author, Stephen Ambrose.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 5:34:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Check Amazon or do a book search for "Curahee".  I read it a LONG time ago, but it took a trooper through boot camp, jump school, and D-day... If my memory serves me.      Stay safe
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 5:42:39 PM EDT
[#3]
On To Berlin
Battles of an Airborne Commander 1943-1946  by James M. Gavin
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 6:07:23 PM EDT
[#4]
lets see

devils in baggy pants
strike hold
all the way to berlin

all written by 504 guys.

my uncle is mentioned in devils and all the way to berlin.

ww2 paratroops are bad mofos.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 6:08:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Wasn't movie Band of Brothers, about the 82nd?
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 6:09:33 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Wasn't movie Band of Brothers, about the 82nd?

101st  but they did meet up with some 82nd guys on d-day :D

"a bridge to far" had some 82nd airborn scenes.. more specific was the river crossing in the little rubber boats(scene with robert redford)
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 6:10:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 6:11:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 6:54:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Ross Carter's book, Devils in Baggy Pants, was about C Company, 504. It was written in 1946 and is a classic, of course. Carter didn't use all real names, so you probably would not be able to identify your uncle.

More recent books were written as well:

I Company - Strike Hold, By Moffatt Burriss
H Company - All The Way To Berlin, by James Megellas

I haven't read Gavin's book, but is would be applicable.

A Bridge Too Far by Cornelius Ryan is a good book about Operation Market Garden, but doesn't dwell too much on C company activities.

What stories did your uncle talk about? That may help us focus on other sources.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top