Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/11/2006 6:35:04 AM EDT
I have a PCI card (I think that what it is called) slot on my lap top.  I would like to purchase broad band Verizon wireless which uses a PCI card.  However my home computer is a desk top.  Does anyone make a PCI card slot or USB adator for a desktop that will fit a PCI card?

Does that make any sense?  Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:39:02 AM EDT
[#1]
You don't have a PCI card in your laptop, you have a PCMCIA slot in your laptop.

Your desktop at home as PCI slots.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:40:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Your request really isn't clear on what you are looking for.  Are you getting Verizion broad band and want a wireless network card for both your laptop and desktop?  If that is the case I'm sure you can buy a network card for the desktop cheaper than any type of adaptor.  Can you give us more details on exactly what you are doing?
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:40:12 AM EDT
[#3]
you need a pccard to pci adapter.. Linksys and a few other make one..
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:43:40 AM EDT
[#4]
just get an evdo router. here is one link.. google for others.
evdo router
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:44:58 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
just get an evdo router. here is one link.. google for others.
evdo router

teh ghey
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 7:13:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 7:14:47 AM EDT
[#7]
You can use ANY wireless G notebook adapter with your Verizon wireless router.  I would recommend a USB adapter for your laptop.  Most will come with a short cable so that you can place your adapter in the best location.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 7:20:13 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
You can use ANY wireless G notebook adapter with your Verizon wireless router.  I would recommend a USB adapter for your laptop.  Most will come with a short cable so that you can place your adapter in the best location.

He's not talking about using his computer with a wireless router.  He's talking about getting Verizon's Mobile Broadband Service, which requires a special card.

ETA: If I'm reading his post correctly.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 7:21:29 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

This will work but I find this to be cumbersome.
The pcmcia wifi card is so simple and generally hassle free.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 7:22:51 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
You don't have a PCI card in your laptop, you have a PCMCIA slot in your laptop.

The confusion also comes from the fact that PCMCIA (pronounced Pic-me-a) cards are also sometimes called PC cards.

PCMCIA- People Can't Memorize Computer Industry Acronims.  
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 7:26:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Yes, I'm sure that you can get a PMCIA adapter for you desktop.  (PCI is the current standard card slot for desktops, PMCIA is that slot on the side of your laptop).

Look up tigerdirect.com and newegg.com
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 7:32:17 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Let me clarify for the others then.  My laptop has a PCMCIA card.  I would like to use Verizon wireless boradband internet.  I can buy a Verizon broadband PCMCIA card that fits my laptop.  However, my home computer does not have a PCMCIA slot.  I would like to use my Verizon wireless broadband on my desktop computer.  Is there ana daptor that will let me use my PCMCIA braodband card with my desktop?
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 7:32:19 AM EDT
[#13]
I think what your looking for is a PCMCIA PCI card. So you can plug your laptop card into your desktop? They do make them although it's not a popular card.

Rather then buying more hardware you might just want to set up internet sharing on your laptop if it's for occasional use.

-JTP
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 7:34:28 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Let me clarify for the others then.  My laptop has a PCMCIA card.  I would like to use Verizon wireless boradband internet.  I can buy a Verizon broadband PCMCIA card that fits my laptop.  However, my home computer does not have a PCMCIA slot.  I would like to use my Verizon wireless broadband on my desktop computer.  Is there ana daptor that will let me use my PCMCIA braodband card with my desktop?

Yes they exisit.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 7:41:17 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Check out the newegg link above.  But you may want to do some research on what Verizion allows.  While they may say "unlimited downloads" in the advertising, the acceptable use policies may be quite different, especially if you plan on using the connection as your primary broadband link.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 7:42:20 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes they exisit.

and here is an example

LINK

Link Posted: 4/11/2006 7:43:37 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Yes, they do make cards for your desktop that wil allow you to use your PCMCIA adapter.  I think a better approach would be to buy an adapter/card for your desktop which is compatible with the Verizon Wireless broadband.  I'm sure the cards are cheap and available, as well as being a lot less hassle in setting up.  As a bonus, you will be networked with your desktop as well as having two access points for the internet.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 7:50:54 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

before you guy an adapter for you pc which would work.. look at the kyocera evdo router. i think its 200 bucks. what it allows you to do is to take your evdo card out of your laptop, slide it into the router connect the router to the net, plug your desktop AND your laptop into the router (or use the wireless connection built into the router). and if you or someone else in your household has a computer they can use the connection too. when you want to go back out on the road, simply pull the card out of the router and plug it into the laptop. shown here with a sprint card but works with other providers.. TOS with verizon may say this isn't ok, but as long as you dont run P2P or very intense streaming apps on you pc they wont bother you.

Link Posted: 4/11/2006 8:51:49 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Is there ana daptor that will let me use my PCMCIA braodband card with my desktop?

If you want to save money and only have one adapter, why would you be bothering with a PCMCIA card at all?   You can use a USB adapter and use it in either your desktop or your laptop.  USB adapter with a cord will give you the best reception.  You should be able to go anywhere in your house with your laptop and get a good signal.    The Verizon wireless router will be compatible with it.   IF your PC is near a phone line and you have  a standard ethernet network card, you do not need a wireless adapter for it, as it will plug directly into your router.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 9:01:18 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
before you guy an adapter for you pc which would work.. look at the kyocera evdo router. i think its 200 bucks. what it allows you to do is to take your evdo card out of your laptop, slide it into the router connect the router to the net, plug your desktop AND your laptop into the router (or use the wireless connection built into the router). and if you or someone else in your household has a computer they can use the connection too. when you want to go back out on the road, simply pull the card out of the router and plug it into the laptop. shown here with a sprint card but works with other providers.. TOS with verizon may say this isn't ok, but as long as you dont run P2P or very intense streaming apps on you pc they wont bother you.

Never mind my temporary insanity.  I was confusing Verizon with TDS Metrocom.   I second the motion to use a router such as the Kyocera Evdo.

Linksys is getting in on the action...

The Linksys Wireless-G Router for Mobile Broadband (WRT54G3G) is scheduled to be available this summer through distribution channels and select mobile broadband providers in North America for an estimated street price of $199. A Mobile Broadband connection PC card and mobile broadband service is sold separately.

Link Posted: 4/11/2006 9:04:48 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

evdoinfo.com/images/stories/kr1_sprint.jpg

That's pretty cool.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 10:02:23 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Is there ana daptor that will let me use my PCMCIA braodband card with my desktop?

If you want to save money and only have one adapter, why would you be bothering with a PCMCIA card at all?   You can use a USB adapter and use it in either your desktop or your laptop.  USB adapter with a cord will give you the best reception.  You should be able to go anywhere in your house with your laptop and get a good signal.    The Verizon wireless router will be compatible with it.   IF your PC is near a phone line and you have  a standard ethernet network card, you do not need a wireless adapter for it, as it will plug directly into your router.

What do you mean?  A USB adator for the PCMCIA card?

Link Posted: 4/11/2006 12:47:40 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I have a PCI card (I think that what it is called) slot on my lap top.  I would like to purchase broad band Verizon wireless which uses a PCI card.  However my home computer is a desk top.  Does anyone make a PCI card slot or USB adator for a desktop that will fit a PCI card?

Does that make any sense?  Thanks for the help.

To clarify:

You want to get the Verizon laptop card to use your laptop wirelessly anywhere you are - eg: coffee shop, park, shooting range ( ), etc

You then want to use the Verizon card at home (in your desktop) to log into the intarweb (again wirelessly using the Verizon service).

Is that right? (assumption: you don't-have/care-to-have intarweb service from the wall at home)

If so then going with the router will allow both the laptop and the desktop to use the intarweb at the same time.  You then need a wireless card for the laptop (this connects the laptop to the router (not the intarweb) and is different than the Verizon card).

Then when you go out with the laptop you take the Verizon card out of the router and pop it into the laptop (removing the wireless router card in the process [not needed])

Am I the only one with the superior interpretation-fu ?
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 7:24:19 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

evdoinfo.com/images/stories/kr1_sprint.jpg

That's perfect (thank you to whoever first pointed out the link).  I can plug in my broadband card when I get home, let people use my desktop upstairs, and use my laptop down stairs.  I dont really download anything so I think it would work.

Thanks for the help.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top