Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/30/2003 11:01:01 AM EDT
Just wondered if there's any money in it ?

Link Posted: 12/30/2003 11:08:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 11:17:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Had a friend of a friend who repo'd Learjets for a living. Most of them were from small runways in Central/South America. They would hike in with fuel on their backs and take the jets. He made lots of well earned money.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 12:28:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Two quarts in a hydrastorm will get you 3 feet.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 12:41:23 PM EDT
[#4]
My co-worker friend makes a pile of money doing it. Packs a RugerBlackhawk .357 too and never has had to use, or show it.

Danny
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 12:41:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Had a friend of a friend who repo'd Learjets for a living. Most of them were from small runways in Central/South America. They would hike in with fuel on their backs and take the jets. He made lots of well earned money.
View Quote

You kiddin? Not calling you (or your friend) a liar, but the average Lear, or any other two-engine bizjet for that matter, sucks down hundreds of pounds of fuel an hour. I doubt they could even carry enough fuel on their back to fly to the nearest decent airport to refuel, being that take-off and climb are by far the most costly phases of flight in terms of fuel usage.

At any rate, I would NOT want to be in the business of repo'ing bizjets from unimproved airstrips in South America where the repoee is a drug lord who'd kill you in a second. If the bullets didn't get you, then running out of fuel on take-off would. Your friend is NUTS.  
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 12:45:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Two quarts in a hydrastorm will get you 3 feet.
View Quote

It would take more fuel than anybody could possibly carry to just taxi a Learjet to the active runway.

Nice story, but I'm not buying it.  That jet had better be already fueled or else it isn't getting very far.

Even for a Jeep, it would take 2 men carrying 80# of fuel each to get that thing more than a couple hundred miles in rural conditions.

Probable [BS]
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 12:52:42 PM EDT
[#7]
That's the story he told me and I believe him. He said the planes were always left close to dry so no one would take them. They organized people to help them pack in enough fuel to get it to another strip to fuel up.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 8:24:22 PM EDT
[#8]
In the 3rd World it is common to find porters in rurla areas who can carry more than 100 pounds each.  A dozen men each carrying 100 pounds might get you someplace.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 12:29:30 AM EDT
[#9]
JetA comes in at about 6.5 lbs per gallon.

12 men carrying 100 lbs each would be 1200 lbs, or 184.6 gallons.

Here is a Lear 24.
[img]http://www.dfrc.nasa.gov/gallery/photo/Lear-24/Small/EC98-44779-1.jpg[/img]

The rated fuel consumption for a Learjet 24 at take off and climb is 224 gallons an hour and then 209 gallons an hour at cruise.

I also have to toss the [b]BULLSHIT[/b] flag on that post.

Quoted:
In the 3rd World it is common to find porters in rurla areas who can carry more than 100 pounds each.  A dozen men each carrying 100 pounds might get you someplace.

GunLvr
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 4:59:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
JetA comes in at about 6.5 lbs per gallon.

12 men carrying 100 lbs each would be 1200 lbs, or 184.6 gallons.

The rated fuel consumption for a Learjet 24 at take off and climb is 224 gallons an hour and then 209 gallons an hour at cruise.
View Quote

I'm still not convinced.  How far can a Learjet go in 30 minutes?  100 miles?  That might be enough to get to another airport.  In the 3rd World distances are necessarily that great it's the travel time which sucks because of lousy roads and terrain.  Also, you have to figure there is a little fuel left in the tanks to begin with.

GunLvr

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top