[#1]
give linky!!
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 8:00:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Drudge doesn't even know anything yet.  

And we're supposed to?  
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 8:03:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I heard this same thing happened over Vegas years back. Pilot took a laser hit from a rock concert or something.

ETA: I recall he was temporarily blinded in one eye.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 8:05:37 PM EDT
[#4]
http://www.drudgereport.com

He's hearing it from somewhere....

How powerful would a ground based laser have to be to damage the eyes of a Delta pilot flying around 30,000 feet (average altitude)?  You can't buy these out of a catalog.  Doesn't the military test the THEL system in that general area (anti-missile laser system)
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 8:07:01 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I heard this same thing happened over Vegas years back. Pilot took a laser hit from a rock concert or something.

ETA: I recall he was temporarily blinded in one eye.

That would be ugly.  Lasers used to be treated with care, now everybody thinks they are cool and good for making patterns to music, etc, when they are very dangerous.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 8:08:00 PM EDT
[#6]
The Russians would do that to P-3 pilots who would tail spy ships.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 8:08:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Ebay has plenty of visible and UV spectrum lasers that can easily do this.  And they are cheap.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 8:09:31 PM EDT
[#8]
fuckers. A pair of working eyes are the most important thing for a pilot to have. Shit, You dont even need all of your limbs.....Fucking savages.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 8:20:59 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Ebay has plenty of visible and UV spectrum lasers that can easily do this.  And they are cheap.

I did not know that.  If you could zap the pilot's eyes, why do you need stinger missiles?
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 8:21:18 PM EDT
[#10]
I read about a recent study into whether the visible lasers sold to the public caused any lasting damage to study volunteers' eyes.  They pointed the lasers directly into their eyes.  The final word on the matter was no lasting effects were evident.

I'd like to know the average IQ of the test subjects.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 8:24:19 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I did not know that.  If you could zap the pilot's eyes, why do you need stinger missiles?

US pilots have filters in their face shields that darken in tiny fractions of a second to prevent eye damage from super strong pulse lasers used by our enemies.  Maybe some USAF folks can elaborate for us.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 8:25:17 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I read about a recent study into whether the visible lasers sold to the public caused any lasting damage to study volunteers' eyes.  They pointed the lasers directly into their eyes.  The final word on the matter was no lasting effects were evident.

I'd like to know the average IQ of the test subjects. hr

Total bullshit.  Here is a laser that this guy sells dozens of.  It will boil your eyeballs.  NOTE no license required.  You can cut plastic a mile away with it.  This guy keeps illegally importing these directly from Bejing.  I have reported him to the CDRH but he is still selling.  It could very well be one of his units that did this.

DPSS Laser
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 8:27:43 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a buddy who has one.  Talk about spontaneous combustion!  That thing is cool!
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 8:32:44 PM EDT
[#14]
I caught a few seconds of discussion about it on Fox News.  Said pilot had minor eye injuries, but was able to safely land.  Did not give any indication where it came from.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 8:32:52 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Total bullshit.  Here is a laser that this guy sells dozens of.  It will boil your eyeballs.  NOTE no license required.  You can cut plastic a mile away with it.  This guy keeps illegally importing these directly from Bejing.  I have reported him to the CDRH but he is still selling.  It could very well be one of his units that did this.

DPSS Laser

Looks like a weapon to me ..

Link Posted: 9/28/2004 8:35:13 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd like to know the average IQ of the test subjects. hr

DPSS Laser

The legal limit is 4.9 milliwatts.  He sells between 100 and 300 milliwatts. He sells them to ANYONE who has the money.  I cannot begin to tell you how powerfull a 300 milliwatt laser is...
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 8:36:03 PM EDT
[#17]
I see a NICE weapon laser
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 8:37:28 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I see a NICE weapon laser hr

SWAT teams use a variant of DPSS to blind intruders when they kick your door down.  You may have seen the green flashlight looking thing when they do a raid.  Same deal...
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 8:38:15 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

DPSS Laser

My story is bullshit?  Ahh, no.

First of all, I was referring to the low power toys that are sold over the counter everywhere.  I'm aware that high power IR lasers can fry retinas, so I don't doubt that other lasers can do the same.

I'm not that familiar with the one you mentioned here, but there are physics experts on the board.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 8:41:02 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

First of all, I was referring to the low power toys that are sold over the counter everywhere.  I'm aware that high power IR lasers can fry retinas, so I don't doubt that other lasers can do the same.

I'm not that familiar with the one you mentioned here, but there are physics experts on the board.

808 and 1024 nanometer lasers, commonly refered to as IR are actually more dangerous to flesh than the 433 to 542 green visible lines.  But both are coherent light and can fry your eyes for certain.  The over the counter models, if legal do not exceed 4.9 milliwatts.  For that exact reason.  This ebay trash needs to be stopped...
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 8:46:08 PM EDT
[#21]
AWESOME

I wish I could pony up the cash.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 8:46:59 PM EDT
[#22]
I have no problem with a 300 milliwatt laser just as long as they don't attach it to a shark, so the shark has a freakin L A S E R on it head.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 8:47:34 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

DPSS Laser

Lets see the math on this scenario.  I have my Reynolds extra strength wrap ready.

/Engineer.
//Works with lasers that I guarantee will cut your balls off.
///not a threat to balls 35000+ feet off the ground.
////not my first rodeo, Buffalo Bill.
\\\lasers look the same from both ends, say again, do you see my fucking sparkler?!!!!\\\
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 8:51:09 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I have no problem with a 300 milliwatt laser just as long as they don't attach it to a shark, so the shark has a freakin L A S E R on it head.

Zip it!  
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 8:51:57 PM EDT
[#25]
American's for Saving Children from Lasers

Some of you sound like a bunch of gun fearing soccer moms.  More pilots are taken out of commission from self inflicted injuries per day than any lasers.  More pilots are killed drivng drunk than by lasers.

Go concentrate your energy somewhere else instead of worrying about closing the "ebay laser loophole".  We must make it more difficult for terrorists to get lasers, damnit!
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 8:53:25 PM EDT
[#26]
I need a laser to go with my assault rifle.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 8:55:23 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Go concentrate your energy somewhere else instead of worrying about closing the "ebay laser loophole".  We must make it more difficult for terrorists to get lasers, damnit!

I'm sure terrorists can and do shop on ebay for things like Playstation2's to reverse engineer for missle guidance systems.

ETA story.  I may not have been here long.  But I sure have been here long enough to know there are many naysayers here.

Could the Playstation 2 be used as nuclear weaponry Y
PM Archive - Tuesday, 18 April , 2000  00:00:00
Reporter: Peter Martin
COMPERE: From a war of the past to the war of the future. Could Sony's video games machine, Playstation 2, be used to launch an actual nuclear war? Apparently Japan's Ministry of Trade seriously thinks it could. The Ministry's slapped export controls on what's already the world's most sought after games machine saying it contains parts which could be used in real life missile guidance systems.

From Tokyo, Peter Martin.

PETER MARTIN: Among the incredibly realistic war-like games Sony told me were under development when they showed me their sleek, black, domestic super computer last month, dark cloud, pilot fighter shooting and one-on-one government. What Sony knew at the time but said little about was that there was concern their machine could do more than simulate real life missile guidance.

Playstation 2 is export controlled, meaning that for the moment it's illegal to take or post multiple copies of it outside of Japan without government approval. The reason? It contains parts which have, says Japans Ministry of Trade, military applications.

You might think Sony would be pleased at the publicity, grateful for the real world endorsement. Instead it's turned down every request for a media interview about what's either a serious problem for it or an undreamed of marketing opportunity.

It would tell me what it knows off tape, though. Two parts of the machine are export controlled: the memory card and the central processing unit. The memory card is controlled because it contains incredibly powerful encryption technology. Japan's rules say that anything with higher than 56 bit encryption has to be controlled. Playstation 2 uses 128 bit encryption.

Sony says it made it that powerful in order to stop customers copying music and videos with their Playstation. The concern of the Japan's Ministry of Trade appears to be that it will put powerful encryption technology in the hands of criminals, or possibly foreign governments.

The concern about Playstation 2's central processing unit is its graphics processing ability. It can process more than three million vector units, as they're called, per second which, says the Ministry of Trade, makes it theoretically able to power the eyes of a real life missile guidance system. Not that the Ministry of Trade is that worried. Having declared the Playstation export controlled, it's granted Sony export permits for North America and Europe.

Sony plans to export three million to North America over the next year, three million to Europe - some of which will make their way to Australia which has a similar TV system after September. But the concern of Japan's Ministry of Trade is a little more than theoretical.

Just over one year ago South Korea intercepted and sunk a North Korean submarine. In it it found machines powered by all sorts of commercially available Japanese radar and communications equipment. It's just possible that North Korean agents have already stocked up on Playstation 2's in their clandestine visit to Japan, though they would have to have been quick. Sony cleared one million of the Playstations in the first hour.

In Tokyo this is Peter Martin reporting for PM.

COMPERE: You could not make it up.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 8:56:03 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

DAMNIT......I am going to have to invent some sort of spit shield for my keyboard/monitor. You would think after so many years of reading this board that I would be ready for posts that force me to do a spit take and cry laughing.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 9:02:31 PM EDT
[#29]
I doubt that laser can cut anything.

Too weak. You still need lenses to focus the energy.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 9:03:35 PM EDT
[#30]
yea..its all fun and games until someone loses an eye.

Link Posted: 9/28/2004 9:03:58 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I doubt that laser can cut anything.

Too weak. You still need lenses to focus the energy.

You can believe it if you want, but your wrong.  You can even send the seller an email if you want and ask him.  Or hit the UseNet group alt.lasers and there are many threads about the power of the exact laser head in the link.  It is a Lambda pro DPSS
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 9:11:37 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Some of you sound like a bunch of gun fearing soccer moms.  More pilots are taken out of commission from self inflicted injuries per day than any lasers.  More pilots are killed drivng drunk than by lasers.

+1, with a vengeance.

Think hard about what kind of site you are on before you trumpet how proud you are for reporting a dealer selling lazers. Nazi.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 9:13:54 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
+1, with a vengeance.

Think hard about what kind of site you are on before you trumpet how proud you are for reporting a dealer selling lazers. Nazi.

Its LASER, not Lazer
Each of the letters in laser actually stands for a word.

Light
Amplification
by the
Stimulated
Emission
of
Radiation

And what this Canadian is doing is not legal.  I'll call him out on it if I want...  Where do YOU draw the line with a foreigner importing restricted hardware from a communist nation???  
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 9:14:09 PM EDT
[#34]
I used to work as a stage hand for concerts at a local arena here
a long time ago.
At a Def Leppard show I was working, I was told to go help one of the laser
techs to open a hatch on cue, and the laser would shoot out of it.
The hatch was right on the stage floor so the laser was
firing right in front of the band while they were playing.
That gave me an opportunity to watch them play as the laser was doing its thing.
So there I was with a 1000 miliwatt laser blasting 3 inches from my head.
The techs eyes popped and he said "Dude! Don't do that shit!"
He then got a piece of cotton used to clean the mirrors, and placed it in front
of the beam, and the cotton went POOF!
Gone in a ball of flame.
I never looked out that hatch again.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 9:17:28 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I used to work as a stage hand for concerts at a local arena here
a long time ago.
At a Def Leppard show I was working, I was told to go help one of the laser
techs to open a hatch on cue, and the laser would shoot out of it.
The hatch was right on the stage floor so the laser was
firing right in front of the band while they were playing.
That gave me an opportunity to watch them play as the laser was doing its thing.
So there I was with a 1000 miliwatt laser blasting 3 inches from my head.
The techs eyes popped and he said "Dude! Don't do that shit!"
He then got a piece of cotton used to clean the mirrors, and placed it in front
of the beam, and the cotton went POOF!
Gone in a ball of flame.
I never looked out that hatch again.

And that would have been a non collimated beam.  In concerts, they expand the beam out for visibility, greatly diminishing it's power.  A raw collimated beam is much, much more powerful.  You were probably working with Chameleon Productions who was probably using a Spectra 171.  I know the comapny and the laser well.  
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 9:20:49 PM EDT
[#36]
i heard a snippet about it on FoxNews earlier..
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 9:21:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Air Checkpoint 10 over the DMZ, we had to put our heads down when we flew over this thing in helicopters (during air assault training missions, I'm not a pilot or aircrew) so we wouldn't get our eyes hurted.  The aircrew and pilots had really nice plated visors so's they's isn't getting hurt.  

I don't know a lot about beam divergence, but I know enough that it'd have to be a powerful fucking laserbeam to accurately place power on a pilot's eyes.  

It'd also pretty much have to be on purpose too, ya know... big sky, narrow laserbeam, small target in big sky = astronomical odds that it's a fluke.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 9:23:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 9:24:12 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Air Checkpoint 10 over the DMZ, we had to put our heads down when we flew over this thing in helicopters (during air assault training missions, I'm not a pilot or aircrew) so we wouldn't get our eyes hurted.  The aircrew and pilots had really nice plated visors so's they's isn't getting hurt.  

I don't know a lot about beam divergence, but I know enough that it'd have to be a powerful fucking laserbeam to accurately place power on a pilot's eyes.  

It'd also pretty much have to be on purpose too, ya know... big sky, narrow laserbeam, small target in big sky = astronomical odds that it's a fluke.

It is likely some idiot was pointing it at the plane.  More the reason to reel in the illegal sales on Ebay.  It used to be to get any real power you neede 3 phase 480 volts at 80 amps a leg.  a LASER is pathetically inneficient.  But with the introduction of DPSS you can get strong LASER power from a wall outlet.  All the more reason to enforce the laws on the books...
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 9:27:30 PM EDT
[#40]
If you're gonna say that lasers over 4.9mw are illegal, I'm gonna ask you to post the section of the US Code that makes them so.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 9:29:02 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
yea..its all fun and games until someone loses an eye.

BAN THEM! it's for the children
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 9:32:31 PM EDT
[#42]

Where do YOU draw the line with a foreigner importing restricted hardware from a communist nation???

I draw the line at EXporting restricted hardware TO a communist country.  

Link Posted: 9/28/2004 9:34:25 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Some of you sound like a bunch of gun fearing soccer moms.

Thanks, took the words right out of my mouth. ALOT of people in this thread talking shit about something they know nothing about.  I can't stand morons who spew b.s. they heard from some inbred who lives in the trailer next to them. If you don't have a clue, STFU.  Damn the airsofters are out in full force tonight.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 9:46:36 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
If you're gonna say that lasers over 4.9mw are illegal, I'm gonna ask you to post the section of the US Code that makes them so.

I'm currious as well.  I figured the restriction was on laser pointers/sighting devices themselves.  Didn't know I'd need a Class III if I wanted something more than a laser pointer.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 9:49:14 PM EDT
[#45]
... You fellas are getting all worked up over nothing.

... To wit: Laser Myths

... Go infrared if you do anything

Link Posted: 9/28/2004 9:50:14 PM EDT
[#46]
Real life light-saber??  

Link Posted: 9/28/2004 9:50:38 PM EDT
[#47]
I notice that boooshy ain't answering when asked for facts.

I find his statements hilarious since I know for a fact I can get a laser capable of cutting metal without jumping through any hoops except coming up with the $$$$$

There *are* regulations about having certains safety devices, signs, audible notifications, etc

But no licensing.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 9:59:32 PM EDT
[#48]
Anyone can buy a very high power laser diode module. Just hook up a power supply and go with the force. The Green DPSS lasers can be dangerous since they are pumped by an infrared diode to produce 532nm green and 1064nm IR. Most folks use safety goggles or lenses that filter a specific band. With DPSS you can get clobbered by the IR and not even know it.

35000 ft isn't that far. A 150mw IR pointer should be good for 10 kilometers. Granted, the power level diminishes with range but these are low power devices compared to some of the modules out there.

ETA: actually, the pump freq at 808nm is output at much higher levels than 1064nm, which should be mostly contained within the cavity. Since DPSS takes several components instead of just a single diode, it's probably why you don't see green lasers as aiming devices. Still, I wouldn't mind having a light saber that can reach out and make things go poof.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 10:01:06 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 10:07:36 PM EDT
[#50]
From the "laser myths" site:

I tried this the other day and it is true:

Blast a fly in the eyes for a few seconds, and it will become so blind that you can actually touch it before it knows you are there. Think of the fun you can have with a pile of dog crap on a hot summer day!

I've had flys and bugs blind themselves when I was welding, so I believe this.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top