Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/19/2006 5:37:50 PM EDT
So I have a Yamaha HTR-5650.  Nowadays, whenever I power it on, it immediately shuts itself off or will shut itself off within 5 seconds.  

I thought it might not have been getting enough power, so I moved it to a different outlet in another part of the house and it exhibits the same behavior.

Thanks in advance!

ETA: the unit is approximately 4 years old and has seen moderate usage.
Link Posted: 12/19/2006 5:39:47 PM EDT
[#1]

Power supply/relay problem
Link Posted: 12/19/2006 5:41:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Probably a protection circuit shutting it down - possibly due to a shorted output. Did you turn it up loud a lot?
Link Posted: 12/19/2006 5:42:44 PM EDT
[#3]
What he said.. Most quality receivers have a built in breaker and yours has gone bad..
Link Posted: 12/19/2006 5:43:43 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Probably a protection circuit shutting it down - possibly due to a shorted output. Did you turn it up loud a lot?

No, I have lived in an apartment or condo practically since I bought the thing and kept the volume at easily less than half of its capability.
Link Posted: 12/19/2006 5:47:40 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, I have lived in an apartment or condo practically since I bought the thing and kept the volume at easily less than half of its capability.

In that case I'd guess the power supply has crapped out.
Link Posted: 12/19/2006 5:48:48 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So should I replace the power supply (is it worth the money?) or just pull out my SIG and shoot the receiver many times and buy a new one anyway?
Link Posted: 12/19/2006 5:51:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Sounds like a heat problem in the power supply. If there is a lot of dust on the heat sink of the power supply, its efficiency can be greatly reduced. You can try opening the chassis and cleaning the heat sink with isopropyl alcohol. Heat is a big problem in electronics. It doesn't really matter how loud you turn it up, even if it is left on a reasonable volume level for a long period of time heat can build up and damage will occur.
Link Posted: 12/19/2006 5:54:58 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Sounds like a heat problem in the power supply. If there is a lot of dust on the heat sink of the power supply, its efficiency can be greatly reduced. You can try opening the chassis and cleaning the heat sink with isopropyl alcohol. Heat is a big problem in electronics. It doesn't really matter how loud you turn it up, even if it is left on a reasonable volume level for a long period of time heat can build up and damage will occur.

I'm taking some DUST OFF [compressed air] to it right now.  I'm also huffing the DUST OFF as I go.  I'll let you know how the latter comes out.
Link Posted: 12/19/2006 5:58:05 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So should I replace the power supply (is it worth the money?) or just pull out my SIG and shoot the receiver many times and buy a new one anyway?

What did it cost new?  If it's a high end receiver it might be worth having it repaired. If it's a cheapo from Best Buy, it should make a fine target.
Link Posted: 12/19/2006 6:02:22 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Quoted:

What did it cost new?  If it's a high end receiver it might be worth having it repaired. If it's a cheapo from Best Buy, it should make a fine target.

Heh, actually, a friend of mine bought it for me (using my money, of course) when he was an employee at Best Buy.  I think retail it would have been $400 or so.  Maybe a little more.  Definitely between $400 and $500.
Link Posted: 12/19/2006 6:16:25 PM EDT
[#11]
I would make sure none of the speaker wires are shorted.
Link Posted: 12/19/2006 6:51:09 PM EDT
[#12]
I have had 2 Yamaha receivers do the same thing.  The first one had a bad temperature sensor. This is a self-preservation feature that causes the unit to kick off when the temp. gets above a certain degree. It used to kick off periodically, but would then come back one. After a year or so, it go to where it would not come back on at all. It was fixed by a Yamaha tech under my extended warranty.

The second receiver (which I am using right now) just shut off one Sunday and would not come back on and stay on like you describe. Yamaha replaced about 5 parts (again under my extended warranty) and it works great like it always did before the problem.

So, the problem is fixable. If you don't have warranty coverage, the fix will probably not be free. Good luck mate.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 7:32:29 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Took it to a service repair center and it was the power relay.  Fixed for less than $100!
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 7:36:36 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Took it to a service repair center and it was the power relay.  Fixed for less than $100!

w00t! I win
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top