Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/28/2005 9:00:55 AM EDT
I've come across what I've determined to be a Domestic Rotary model 153, in probably close to 90% condition, in box w/paperwork and a paper wrapped package of 'sewing machine tools'. I think it was manufactured sometime between 1945 and 1965, just based on the design and font of the manual. Anyone have any clue what it might be worth?
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 9:21:20 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Doucheatron3000:
I've come across what I've determined to be a Domestic Rotary model 153, in probably close to 90% condition, in box w/paperwork and a paper wrapped package of 'sewing machine tools'. I think it was manufactured sometime between 1945 and 1965, just based on the design and font of the manual. Anyone have any clue what it might be worth?

...........The sewing room is down the hall just passed PMS 101.......................Nope sorry can't help ya.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 9:24:32 AM EDT
this thread is teh ghey.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 9:26:25 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Stormtrooper:
this thread is teh ghey.

I'm trying to sell it, not have anal sex with it.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 9:26:49 AM EDT
See if you can find something similar on eBay. I use the eBay site often to kind of get the value of things.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 9:26:51 AM EDT
Anytime I hear of a man making fun of another man for sewing machines, vacuums, etc: MEN INVENTED THEM! Probably so their women would not bitch as much, but we all know they just find something else to bitch about....

from Wikipedia:

The first known attempt at a mechanical device for sewing was by the German born Charles Fredrick Wiesenthal, who was working in England. He was awarded British Patent No. 701 in 1755 for a double pointed needle with an eye at one end...

The first electrically-powered cleaner was patented by H. Cecil Booth, a British engineer in 1901. He noticed a device used in trains that blew dust off the chairs, and thought it would be much more useful to have one that sucked dust....

Link Posted: 8/28/2005 10:13:30 AM EDT
Sewing machines?

Hmmm.....I have a 1994 MyOl'Lady model. It's noisey as hell and and maintinance is expensive, but it gets the job done.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 10:38:06 AM EDT
My Mom has a sewing machine made by Phaff that cost more that the Chevy station wagon they bought new in 1963. She can control it with her HP laptop computer and connect to the Internet with it to download patterns.

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 11:30:37 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Vulcan94:
My Mom has a sewing machine made by Phaff that cost more that the Chevy station wagon they bought new in 1963. She can control it with her HP laptop computer and connect to the Internet with it to download patterns.

Vulcan94

Hell, if it swallowed and cooked sammiches, most of ARFCOM would be engaged right now...

Link Posted: 8/28/2005 11:32:55 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Doucheatron3000:

Originally Posted By Stormtrooper:
this thread is teh ghey.

I'm trying to sell it, not have anal sex with it.

LOL!!!
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 11:34:00 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Tango7:

Hell, if it swallowed and cooked sammiches, most of ARFCOM would be engaged right now...

LOL!

This just may be the funniest thread of the day!
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 2:55:32 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 2:58:23 PM EDT
sewing machines are not ghey, you should be so good as to be able to sew and fix your own shit, let alone make something to suit your needs.

I have a Singer Athena 2000. wouldn't mind fining me a good PFAFF too.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 3:21:43 PM EDT

Originally Posted By SP1Grrl:

Originally Posted By Vulcan94:

Vulcan94

That's nothing. Mine has a USB port and a full color touch screen.

Doucheatron, IM sent.

Yup! Her sewing machine has both of those as well. She has to plug some kind of USB device in her laptop so her software will work. It's really neat how she can make designs and load them into her sewing machine. The only time it will stop sewing is when she has to change the color thread.

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 3:27:22 PM EDT
There is a very strong market for old sewing machines. Lots of folks collect em. They don't have to be a hundred years old either. My wife got some very good money for a 50's model she had.

I got her a really nice Elna. Good thing too. I had to learn to use it to make some outdoor gear I'll be marketing.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 3:42:45 PM EDT
I bought my sewing machine in a local TV station auction really cheap. it's a heavy duty unit and I can make all kinds of Ballistic nylon stuff with it once I get my skills a little bit better. The old ladies can teach you a bunch of stuff.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 3:53:51 PM EDT
I have an old, Singer commercial machine. I can sew through bone with it.

I use it for making my tac gear and holsters and stuff. It's got a 5 hp motor on it. Not sure how old it is. I paid $600 for it. Actually, I traded CAI SA58 with mags and accys for it.

My Mother left some old, treadle type Singer machines after she passed away. These are pre 1900's machines.

There is nothing wrong with a man knowing how to sew. I sewed up my uniforms and put patches on while in the Army. Saved me lots of cash.

Pop wants me to repair his boat cover since I have a commercial machine. They come in handy.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 3:59:58 PM EDT
I don't know shit about sewing machines, but I do know that my wife had me buy her an $1800 Bernina serger last year. While I'm not sure what the hell it actually does it certainly looks impressive. It takes about 30 minutes just to thread the goddamned thing-it has five spools of thread behind it

No idea how that one is different than the $1200 Pfaff I bought her a couple years ago
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:28:20 PM EDT
My dad just restored my grandmothers 1890's New Williams treadle sewing machine. Amazing mechanical device... I don't think they are worth too much for the collectors unless mfg. by one of the big names (i.e. Singer, White, etc.) But I don't collect so don't bank on my word.

Kent
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:42:34 PM EDT
+1 for men sewing. My Dad taught me how to run a machine. He used to be able to stitch circles around mom.

He sewed his own saddle for his motorcycle.

I found an old treadle Singer in the basement of the house when I moved in (Singer Model 66 IIRC) ... I also inherited grandma's Electrified Singer (Model 128?) from the 50's. It only sews a straight stitch but it'll sew through anything you throw at it.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:46:49 PM EDT
Top Top