Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/6/2005 7:41:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/6/2005 7:41:52 AM EDT by BeetleBailey]

I have a pretty big one (free-standing) in my basement that was left here by the previous owners. It's in poor shape but does anyone know if it might be worth anything?
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:47:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/6/2005 7:47:47 AM EDT by BeetleBailey]

Originally Posted By BeetleBailey:
I have a pretty big one (free-standing) in my basement that was left here by the previous owners. It's in poor shape but does anyone know if it might be worth anything?

looks like this

*whoops, meant to edit, not reply, sorry.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 8:32:52 AM EDT
That is a beautiful example! I have a number of 78's from the Victor Talking Machine Company... makers of the Victrola, later known as Victor Records, later RCA-Victor.

There are people who collect and restore Victrolas and Edison Cylinder machines. Do a google search.

I came up with this www.together.net/~victrola/ by simply entering Victrola.

Victrolas take a special bamboo or steel needle. The bamboo needle looks like it was broken off the end of a round toothpick. These are less damaging to the records than steel.

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 8:38:51 AM EDT
My father has one very similar to what you are showing. No idea of the worth however you want to be very careful to not overwind the spring. I assume this is the hand crank model.

He also never leaves the spring wound. Allow it to unwind withe the weight of a record on the turntable. He finds the old 78 records quite often, in good shape.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 10:47:29 AM EDT
Thanks for your help. The reply I received:

"Thanks for checking with us. We buy and sell phonographs and phonograph parts but we'd have to pass on the one that you currently have. We have about 5 or 6 floor models in stock already. As for repairing it, yes we can help you with that if you'd want to keep it. The cost of repairs vary from $50 to $200, depending on what's needed. A local woodworker can repair your broken leg and we can repair or service the motor by having you remove the motor and sending it to us. If this is an option for you, let us know and we'd be happy to help you out further. If you'd want to sell it, I'd assume it's current condition would help bring you $200 to $250."
Top Top