Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/3/2005 9:13:37 PM EDT
I think anyone with a DD-214 can request it, and I'd like to make arrangements for when my time comes.

Anyone?
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:15:15 PM EDT
I know this: there's no real burying involved.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:17:57 PM EDT
I know it annoys the people spreading your ashes overboard when a gust of wind blows you back all over them.

I now have to be buried at sea just to pass on what that feels like.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:18:38 PM EDT

Originally Posted By MachinegunManiac:
I know this: there's no real burying involved.

No matter how fast you shovel, the hole always fills back in.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:27:11 PM EDT
You get real wet, but you hardly notice, let alone care.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 9:59:47 PM EDT
http://www.chinfo.navy.mil/navpalib/questions/burial.html

http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/generalinfo/a/seaburial.htm

found it. For some reason, I can't find the hotlink doo-hickie.

Link Posted: 8/6/2005 10:20:28 PM EDT
After they stick you in that box and slip you over the side, if it doesn't sink right away, they shoot at it. They got other things to do, ya know.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 10:37:32 PM EDT
I was once buried at sea.....but I got better.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 12:46:38 AM EDT
You probably should die first.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 12:48:32 AM EDT

Originally Posted By rainman:
After they stick you in that box and slip you over the side, if it doesn't sink right away, they shoot at it. They got other things to do, ya know.

Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:53:26 PM EDT
Timing can be iffy. Sometimes getting a ship and opportunity and the family together can be a hassle.

We did it for one of our guys that waited four months after he got out to wrap his motorcycle around a tree. Unfortunately we ran into a one week delay getting underway. The family was able to make it though.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 5:57:55 PM EDT

Originally Posted By PaDanby:
Timing can be iffy. Sometimes getting a ship and opportunity and the family together can be a hassle.

We did it for one of our guys that waited four months after he got out to wrap his motorcycle around a tree. Unfortunately we ran into a one week delay getting underway. The family was able to make it though.

The deal I got from the Navy is this: No family aboard, as the ship will be underway on Navy business. They'll send the family your flag back and tell you where the ship placed your remains.

Sounds good in a way. I don't want a bunch of people getting in the sailors way and making a stink. I just want to make it neat when I go.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:02:01 PM EDT
Top Top