Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/22/2005 2:41:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/22/2005 3:28:52 PM EDT by TacticalStrat]
A friend brought over a all matching, non-import marked 85% Ljungman AG42 to my house and he wants to sell it. It appears all original. I'd classify the whole gun a "very good" overall condition. What's it worth? He said he'll take $750.

UPDATE: Here's some pics:

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 2:43:11 PM EDT
it was the first gun to use a AR15 like direct gas impengent system
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 2:56:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/22/2005 2:59:03 PM EDT by Max_Mike]
dupe post
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 2:57:58 PM EDT
$750 is to much.

I have see them around in VG condition for $600-650
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 3:27:07 PM EDT
"it was the first gun to use a AR15 like direct gas impengent system"

i believe an old french rifle from the early teens or twentys was the first.

the ag42 is a great rifle. probably the most accurate standard issue semi ever. $750 is high for a very good condition. parts are hard to find. that is the only drawback for me. i would pass but you should ask if you can shoot it. they are fun.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:15:53 PM EDT
$750 is high for that one. I'd offer him $650 tops.

This one gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=37451346 is in VG condition and maybe worth $750.

BUT....They are great rifles. Mil surp ammo can be hard to come by, but are uber acurate if you reload. Recoil is on par with an AR due to the integral muzzle brake. Very easy and fast to reload with stripper clips (note: ALWAYS make sure the safety is ON before reloading lest you suffer the -worse than Garand thumb - Ljungman thumb. I really like mine and it would be one of the last rifles I'd sell (if I had to sell off my rifles).
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:44:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/22/2005 7:47:00 PM EDT by DriftPunch]
Import marked vs non import marked almost meaningless with this type of gun. If memory serves me correctly, there was only one post '68 import of these, and that was 1999 or so. Most of these were unissued, or very nice ones.

I got my unissued one for $300 out of this shipment. The price started going up as soon as they were sold out.

A few things you should know:

- Almost all "AG42"s are in fact "AG42b"s. An original AG42 is extremely rare, and would be a real collectable. Most AG42s wer converted to 'b' models at some point when they went through the Swedish arsenaling program. I bet most of the recent imported ones that were unissued were original models, that were sent to a storage facility after "B" conversion. Thus an original AG42 would have had to escape the system somehow. The "B" conversion addressed some defects. The two most obvious changes are the addition of a case buffer, and the installation of a straight stainless steel gas tube (original had some type of coiling action to it). You will find a 'B" stamped near the breech.

- The stock disk tells a story. It's a condition log, and was updated/changed whenever the rifle was offically 'inspected' by a certain level of armorer or above. It tells two things, basic condition, and bore size. The numbers 1, 2, and 3 indicate condition. A disk can have multiple marks (the little triangle stamped over the numbers), but if it does, you have to take the worse condition. Thus the disk tells the story of the rifle as it was when it left the armorer's hands. What this means is that a rifle that has high marks via the disk, can be a toad, simply because it was never evaluated after the abuse. However, this being the Swedes with no threat of conflict, they probably adhered to procedure pretty damn well. If there is no mark over any of the 1, 2, or 3, the rifle has just left the factory, and has had no subsequent evaluation. If it has a little triangle over the '1', it has been evaluated, and is deemed to be in excellent condition. A mark over the "2" means it's in good shape, and a mark over the "3" means it's in the lowest condition allowed for it to be returned to the field. If it failed that, it was scrapped or totally rebuilt. The numbers around the edge of the disk are the bore size, and you'll quickly figure out how that works.

It's a great addition to a collection, but the novelty soon wears off when shooting it. It's really long, and fouls itself badly. I have more entertaining guns to shoot during my precious range time.
Top Top