Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/7/2005 7:11:20 PM EDT
Now, I will admitt first that this may be an increadibly stupid idea because I know absolutely nothing about antennas...BUT here is my question.

I am currently at a college that is located out in the country and has no cable television. Now, I know I should be studying and not letting TV rot my brain but I really miss some stuff, especially the news. I have "rabitt ears" on my tv but they barely pick anyting up because I'm in the middle of nowhere. I was thinking, does anyone make a tv antenna that comes in the form of a cable? If this was the case I could dangle it out my window or even throw it up on the roof (I'm on the top floor of a 4 story building). If such a thing is even available, would it be worth the effort or would it be the type of thing that would only improve reception marginally? Thoughts?
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:46:57 PM EDT
Nothing? Nothing? you could make fun of me at least....
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:50:37 PM EDT
Get the biggest antenna you can find and put it as high in the air as you can get it.

That's about all there is too it....you can put a pre amp on it if you need it and it will boost the signal coming off the antenna.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:52:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/7/2005 8:54:13 PM EDT by twonami]
your only hope for a good picture is a roof antenna or satellite provider.
go to antennaweb.org to help select what you'll need
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:53:50 PM EDT
1. Did you plug it in?
2. Put some metal twisty ties on it.
3. Move it towards a window.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:54:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/7/2005 8:55:48 PM EDT by Cavu]
You might try an amplified antenna or something like this. How 'bout this?
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:57:01 PM EDT

Originally Posted By twonami:
your only hope for a good picture is a roof antenna or satellite provider.
go to antennaweb.org to help select what you'll need

The answer you seek is in red.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:13:47 PM EDT
Ah yes, college life in a TV fringe reception area...Sure brings back the memories...

You need gain (the ability to intecept as much of a weak signal as possible), and directionality (the ability to zero in on the strongest signal without picking up weaker reflections that cause ghost images).

Get a multi-element outdoor TV antenna (the kind that Home Depot or Radio Shack sells) and put it on the roof, pointing in the direction that your broadcasts come from. (After initial deployment, you may need to send a lowly freshman out on the roof a few times to tweak the antenna direction. Generally, doing this after nightfall results in a lower chance of getting expelled from the dorm and/or school.)
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:18:59 PM EDT
If you want to try and make your own antenna, the simplest is a yagi. You would have to make one for the individual channel that you want to receive. You can download Quickyagi. This is a simple DOS based program that will design a yagi for you. I once made a yagi to pick up UHF channel 39 so I could watch "Doctor Who" when I first moved out on my own. (1984) It worked a hell of a lot better than a pair of rabbit ears.

Vulcan94
Top Top