Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/2/2002 7:41:09 AM EDT
I am getting old, cold, and LAZY !  

I would like to get a remote car starter to facilitate the advanced warming up of our vehicles.

1. Do these things really work / work well?

2. What if I forget to go out to the vehicle?
(will it shut down the vehicle automatically after a pre-determined period of time?)

3. What kind of range can I expect to get from the remotes?

4. What brand(s) are good?

5. Will one of these gadgets work in our vehicle(s)?:

CURRENT Vehicles:
- 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee (automatic transmission)

- 2001 Chevy Tahoe (automatic transmission)

AND...  I will be purchasing one of the following in the next week or so:
(will any of these vehicles be a problem?)

- 2003 GMC Yukon  (auto trans)
- 2003 Chevy Tahoe (auto trans)
- 2003 Chevy Suburban (auto trans)
- H2 Hummer  (no clue as to the engine / transmission)

Thanks !!

Link Posted: 12/2/2002 8:01:04 AM EDT
[#1]
I have one, and love it. Range is at least 30 yards, I can start my truck from the living room without problem. If the key isn't put in the ignition within 12 minutes, the engine cuts off automatically. If the brake pedal is depressed without the key in the ignition, the engine cuts off, so it seems pretty fool proof to me. When I park during the winter, I leave the defroster set, and it really makes clearing the windows a breeze the next morning. My keychain control also unlocks the doors, so I can hit it from about 15 feet away when walking to my car, and not have to pause to manually unlock the door. Handy when my hands are full, and a nice safety measure for my wife in parking lots. The doors lock automatically when the igntion is started, and unlock automatically when I cut off the ignition.(These things can be customized to your preference when it's installed) All in all, pretty handy. I got mine at Best Buy about 2 years ago, for $150, under the name of 'Auto Valet' or some such. I like it enough to put one in my future trucks as well.
They work in most all modern vehicles with automatic transmissions, so I expect they'll work in yours without problem. Best Buy will install it for free if you'd like.

If you get the hummer, drop me a line and let me know what you think of it.
Link Posted: 12/2/2002 8:02:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I am getting old, cold, and LAZY !  

I would like to get a remote car starter to facilitate the advanced warming up of our vehicles.

1. Do these things really work / work well?
View Quote

Yes, they really work well. It's pretty simple, all it does is crank the car by remote.

2. What if I forget to go out to the vehicle?
(will it shut down the vehicle automatically after a pre-determined period of time?)
View Quote

Nope, it'll just sit there and run for at least 15 minutes.

3. What kind of range can I expect to get from the remotes?
View Quote

At least 50' and probably more. About as much as you would expect from an alarm remote.

4. What brand(s) are good?
View Quote

There are lots of different ones out there but they're all the same thing, so it's really up to you on which one you want to buy.

5. Will one of these gadgets work in our vehicle(s)?:
View Quote

You should be able to get one installed in virtually any electric start vehicle with an automatic transmission. Technically, it would work with a manual if left in neutral, but if you forgot and left it in gear you could crash your car into something trying to start it. Therefore most places won't install it on a standard due to liability reasons.

Link Posted: 12/2/2002 8:10:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/2/2002 8:25:37 AM EDT
[#4]
It will work in any vehicle w/automatic trans.

As mentioned earlier, I don't recommend one for stick.

All major car alarm companies offer one.

Make sure you go to a reputable installer. You definitely get what you pay for regarding installation.

Dave
Link Posted: 12/2/2002 8:28:43 AM EDT
[#5]
I know that you can scare the living bejezus out of people with one.
[:D]

Link Posted: 12/2/2002 8:33:15 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a DEI - Your Valet on my truck.  I have been very happy with it for over a year now.  It has/had (batteries need changed) a range of 500'.  It runs for 10 minutes before autokill.  I didn't find the corp site but here is some info [url]http://www.stevessecurity.com/remote_car_starters.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 12/2/2002 12:02:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks guys !!
Link Posted: 12/2/2002 1:50:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Ie got an astrostart 1105 remote in my 99 silverado.
Range is rated at 1400 feet on mine.
pretty much what everybody has said is on the money.

You get what you pay for in both starter and installation.
Generaly the cheaper the overall package the bigger the transmitter and the more limited the range.[b Another thing to remember is many kits only come with ONE remote.[/b] another remote is of course extra.

as far as manufactures go my top 3 are

1. clifford
2. astrostart
3. alpine

Link Posted: 12/2/2002 2:40:43 PM EDT
[#9]
i had one installed last year and i love it.  just remember to set your heater controls the night before like someone mentioned.  i even used it in the summer when it was real hot.  just made sure the AC was cranked up.  it was great getting into a cool car. i got the Sidewinder 3500. [url]http://www.directed.com/security/sidewinder/side_rs.asp#3500esp[/url]  i got 2 remotes they were able to reprogram the remotes to unlock my doors and there is an auxiliary button i had programmed for my trunk.  that way i only need that one remote and dont need to carry the factory remote 2.  i think i payed about $300 installed.
Link Posted: 12/2/2002 2:46:21 PM EDT
[#10]
[b]bunch o' lazy bums!!!![/b]

[;)]

Link Posted: 12/2/2002 3:09:49 PM EDT
[#11]
coffee with whiskey and bunny slippers to start the car.

Had one when stationed in upstate new york  windchill at 80 below
and they work great.
Link Posted: 12/2/2002 3:18:06 PM EDT
[#12]
I've heard they're pretty good.

However, I've heard stories (and they might just that) about people sitting in parking lots with frequency counters and sniffing your starter and then stealing your car.  I think it seems a little far fetched, but who knows.

Link Posted: 12/2/2002 7:42:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I've heard they're pretty good.

However, I've heard stories (and they might just that) about people sitting in parking lots with frequency counters and sniffing your starter and then stealing your car.  I think it seems a little far fetched, but who knows.

View Quote

Getting it started would be the easy part.  Moving it would be another.  New vehicles require the brake depressed before putting in gear, on mine if you hit the brake before you put the key and turn it on; the truck will die.
Link Posted: 12/3/2002 5:18:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
[b]bunch o' lazy bums!!!![/b]

[;)]

View Quote

Damn straight! I hate winter, and avoid as much of it as possible. I even make my wife shovel the driveway. [:)]
Link Posted: 12/3/2002 5:50:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Lazy or not, they are great.  I've installed two of them on relative's cars and they are nice.  Easy to install if you can use a screwdriver and wirecutters without drawing blood.  Should take you about 30 mins.  Instructions included.

BUT if you have a new car with the transponder chip in the key, I'd have it installed professionally.  They are a PITA!!  although once you have it installed it works fine.

We got ours at Target for $99.00.  Installed they are twice that.  

Toasty-seats to all,
Jimno
Link Posted: 12/3/2002 6:19:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
You should be able to get one installed in virtually any electric start vehicle with an automatic transmission. Technically, it would work with a manual if left in neutral, but if you forgot and left it in gear you could crash your car into something trying to start it. Therefore most places won't install it on a standard due to liability reasons.

View Quote
So, the people that really know how to drive can't get one installed?????

I won't have a remote starter anyway because I can't see my gauges if I remote start it.  I want to be sure everything is normal.  I have a turbo timer on my car so I start it, make sure my oil pressure comes up, etc, set it for 10 minutes and go back in the house.  If someone gets in the car and releases the parking brake it shuts off and the cars factory alarm system kicks in, shutting off the ignition, the fuel pump, etc.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top