Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/14/2008 8:09:21 AM EDT
I have a relative who is thinking about volunteering to go.

I did not realize we were still deploying troops there up until a couple months ago.

Anyone have any info?

How is the mission?  How is the training prior?  Do you work out of a FOB?
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 8:10:27 AM EDT
[#1]
That was Bush's fault, too.
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 8:13:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 8:17:24 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Contact Kpel308

thx, for some reason I am thinking he was a contractor over there?
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 8:20:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Watch your ass over there. The Kosovo government is from the KLA which was a terrorist group labeled such by Clinton even that has known ties to AQ.  
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 8:40:54 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The Kosovo government is from the KLA which was a terrorist group labeled such by Clinton even that has known ties to AQ.  

KLA- kosovo liberation army???

anyways a while back in college I had a friend who lived in the area and he said the whole area was a mess...
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 9:25:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 7:25:47 AM EDT
[#7]
well thats good to hear, hopefully he wont get too bored.
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 11:05:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Kosovo is considered by Serbs to be the national home of Serbia.  They got ran off and have been trying to regain it for the last 800 years or so.

Currently the Albanian Moslems have been trying to move in there also.  The Balkans are a gawdawful mess and the Turks chasing the Serbs out of there that long ago things have never gotten around to getting solved.
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 11:20:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Yeah I lived with a Kosovar for a year and plan to go to Pristina next summer.  Don't know anything about volunteering though.
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 11:52:41 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Watch your ass over there. The Kosovo government is from the KLA which was a terrorist group labeled such by Clinton even that has known ties to AQ.  

Huh? The vast majority view the US as their saviors.
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 11:56:31 PM EDT
[#11]
I was at Aviano Italy with 331 FS. I loaded bombs on F-16's during Allied Force, mostly GBU-12's, rockets, and CBU's. I got to see a lot of combat video of communication towers and infrastructure getting smoked.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 12:15:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 4:27:07 AM EDT
[#13]
3rd world shithole

I visited Yugoslavia in the 80's (before all this Kosovo, bosnia, shit)

It sucked then, can't imagine its gotten better.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 8:47:04 AM EDT
[#14]
i've heard it called the "armpit" of europe.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 9:34:04 AM EDT
[#15]
I worked with Kpel308 there.  

It is an OK place to visit, but I sure wouldn't want to live there.  The locals still get into RPG fights with each other from time to time out in the villages.  The violence there is all directed towards the various ethnic groups and most of it is mob related like Kpel said.  The Albanians like Americans and I have met several here in the Middle East that worked on a US base in Kosovo and decided to come over here and work.  Nice folks really as long as they kill each other and you don't get between them.

The country itself is a shithole.  No form of sewage treatment anywhere in the country except the NATO bases.  People dump raw sewage into the streams there.  The rural economy is based on farming and I have seen people doing it by hand (I mean literally by hand not even a plow) field rotation as opposed to crop rotation is still practiced.  The roads are a nightmare and you risk your life on them even in an armored vehicle.

Other then that if I was a soldier and had a choice between Kosovo and Iraq or Afghanistan I would head to Kosovo in a heartbeat.  Just pack lots of warm clothes.  When I was there it started snowing in November and didn't stop until April.

AS a contractor I am not going back until they either pay more or I get to live like the KBR guys did in single hooches with private bathroom and maid service.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 1:35:45 PM EDT
[#16]
so there is still some action going on over there?  Sounds interesting.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 1:37:54 PM EDT
[#17]
I was at Bondsteel with ITT, easy contract. The country was nice but everything is a mess over there.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 1:47:35 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The Kosovo government is from the KLA which was a terrorist group labeled such by Clinton even that has known ties to AQ.  

KLA- kosovo liberation army???

anyways a while back in college I had a friend who lived in the area and he said the whole area was a mess...

Yup, KLA was a proxy army of Albania, and Albania was the only country that was part of the 3rd Reich to not be tried for war crimes.  
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 1:57:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Kosovo = Somalia of Europe. Considered by some to be an independent nation, but they are about as able to survive on their own as a 8 year old. About their only export is illegal substances. Most likely the most US loving country on earth.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top