Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/26/2003 5:21:13 AM EDT
I need to get a cell phone to use in Landsthul Germany for a couple of months.  I am not familiar with the area at all, and don't even know what providers are there.  Does anyone know of one I should get, calling to the US a lot.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 5:26:25 AM EDT
[#1]
They lost the war? [;D]

Edited to add: In all sincerity, I don't have a clue. Have you done a Google search? You might be surprised at the torrent of results you get.

You also may want to look in travel websites, since I'm sure the topic is hardly unique. Good luck!
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 5:27:18 AM EDT
[#2]
"It's a whole otha' country!"  -Forest Gump
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 5:29:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Very efficient. They make a mean Schnitzengruber......
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 5:58:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Same solution I would suggest here: get a prepaid SIM card from one of the local providers (let me check my notes...)

Either get a tri-band phone here, and use it with the SIM card you buy over there. Or just buy a phone on ebay Germany and have it sent to your Landstuhl address.

Incoming calls on European cellphones are free; the calling party pays. You're "area code" will be different from the local area code.

SIM card: Subscriber Identification Module, a little chip that can be put into any compatible GSM phone.

GSM: the standard for cellphones outside the US. US GSM phones however are not compatible with European ones, due to them working on different frequencies. That's where you need a tri-band phone if you want to use the same phone all over the world.
A pair of cheap throwaway phones like the Nokia 3310 (for Europe) and the Nokia 3390 (for the US) will do just as fine.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 6:26:32 AM EDT
[#5]
They lost the last two world wars? [:D]
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 6:34:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the info Kar.  Does anyone know how the coverage in the area is, and who the best provider might be?
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 6:53:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Seeing how Germany is about the size of Montana, and has about 55 million mobile telephones, you can assume that there are no issues re/coverage. I'd stick with Vodaphone, one of the 2 major GSM providers (the other major one being T-Mobile).
Their prepaid package is called CallYa.
Smaller providers are E-plus and O2. Expect lesser coverage from them.

[url]http://www.vodafone.de/preise_tarife/callya/index.html[/url]
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 8:02:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks a lot Sar!  I just have to have my friend translate now, and I should be set.  I swear, you can ask any question on AR15 and have it answered in no time.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 8:39:31 AM EDT
[#9]
They seem to like to vacation in France quite a bit. I hear they get really good service there, unlike anyone else.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top