Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/31/2011 6:15:29 AM EDT
I picked up a new camcorder this weekend, a Canon HF R10.  The video looks great on the built in LCD, but....

As a background, I've been using a ~5 year old SD everio with windows movie maker without issue, but this new one is driving me nuts.

First off the software that came with the camera only partially works.  It will import, and it will open the player, but if you try to open movies for editing it crashes.  So I tried using windows to import the files (it worked) and windows movie maker to edit, but every clip has the same issue - any motion results in horizontal lines across the picture.  (I'm sure there's a term for this but I have no idea what it's called.)  I also downloaded a trial version of a editor from cnet, tht just made it worse.  I finally managed to open the viewer that came with the camera - the video looks great on there, but it's of no use since the video crashes.

So, anyone know what the problem may be?  Do I need a different editor? or do I have some kind of codec issue?

I have to admit, video editing is something I know very little about (fairly obvious given my use of windows movie maker )
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 10:30:40 AM EDT
[#1]
can you post a screen shot giving an example of the lines?

Interlacing is what pops into my head, but without seeing a picture, I could be jumping to conclusions.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 4:12:46 PM EDT
[#2]

Going to try a few more photo editors...
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 5:28:02 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm trying to figure out the specs on your camera... from what I can tell, it records straight to SD card, presumably in an .mp4 file format (since it records h.264).

Can your computer simply play the file by double clicking on it?

If not, try and download/install a codec pack, such as Shark 007 Codec. If the files are .mp4 files, they should open in windows media player and/or quicktime once you have the codec pack installed and configured.

What your picture shows looks like interlacing... the camera shoots 24p/30p, but records it at 60i (from what I can gather from the manufacturer's page).
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 5:44:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'm trying to figure out the specs on your camera... from what I can tell, it records straight to SD card, presumably in an .mp4 file format (since it records h.264).

Can your computer simply play the file by double clicking on it?

If not, try and download/install a codec pack, such as Shark 007 Codec. If the files are .mp4 files, they should open in windows media player and/or quicktime once you have the codec pack installed and configured.

What your picture shows looks like interlacing... the camera shoots 24p/30p, but records it at 60i (from what I can gather from the manufacturer's page).

To thicken the mystery...

I was searching on how to fix the default editor and someone reccomended the K-Codec pack, which i installed.  This made no difference in the interlacing.  It also didn't fix the default software.  

On a whim, I tried it on my wife's 6 month old Win 7 computer... looks great on there.  Even on the default viewer (which never had the interlacing issue to begin with) it looks very grainy on my PC, hers looks fantastic.  

Time for a new PC?  
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 6:00:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Specs on your current editing rig?
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 6:12:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Vista 32 bit
3.0 GHz AMD
4 gigs RAM
Nvidea Geforce 8800
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 6:15:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Maybe an error in conversion? Sometimes one little check box can make a difference, difference in bit rate, etc. Conflict between HD and SD?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top