Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 5/22/2003 1:36:33 PM EDT
I sold a guitar amp to a guy in Canaduh on ebay. A month after he's had the amp, he sends me an email telling me he wants a refund because it's got a "volume loss" problem. I asked him what the hell he was talking about, and he says:
I 've tested it with a decibal meter, and there is a volume loss problem that starts about as soon as the amp is turned on. What I mean is that when I turn the amp on, it is at full volume, but the longer the amp is on, the less volume it produces. If I had the amp up to let's say 3 out of 10, after about half an hour, I would have to turn the amp up to 5 out of 10 to get the same amount of volume as 3 out of 10. I tried to see if there is a level that the volume will stop dropping, but even after having it on for about an hour and a half, the volume was still dropping. I'm not imagining this problem, I've tested with a meter. It's not the tube either, or my guitar. I've tested everything.
View Quote
Does this sound like a legitimate problem an AMP could have? How would you diagnose whether this is a problem or not without seeing the amp? I think the guy just doesn't like the amp and wants to send it back after playing with it for 29 days.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 2:03:30 PM EDT
The guy could be being honest. If it's an electronic amp, it could be a Cap going bad. If it's a Tube to could be a tube or a cap. Still the guy bought it. Used it for a month, Who knows what was done to it. How old is this amp? Tall Shadow
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 2:05:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/22/2003 2:07:57 PM EDT by Matthew_Q]
the problem is between the strap and the guitar.... Seriously, if it's solid state, a MOSFET or cap could be blown or gone. Is there an alteration in the tone? If the tone is the same, but the volume is lower, it could be that one of the pots is dirty (volume knob or other knob). If it's tube, it could be that one of the tubes is starting to short, and the bias is changing. (provided it's a A-B amp).
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 2:08:07 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 2:10:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/22/2003 2:11:36 PM EDT by Red_Beard]
The amp was about 2 years old, and not used very much at all. Probably 100 hours total time, at apartment volumes (no cranking). It's a (vox cambridge 15) solid state practice amp with a tube in the preamp section. He's not getting any money out of me in any case. As far as I know it worked fine when I sent it, and worked fine when he got it (since he went a month before discovering this problem). I didn't offer a warrantee, so tough shit on problems coming up after the sale.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 2:12:36 PM EDT
That's what happens when you don't buy an amp that goes to 11.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 2:17:48 PM EDT
Lets not forget the fact that as the speakers voice coil heats up, its resistance goes up. When that happens, volume goes down. Most guitar amps have cheezy speakers. They don't need the massive magnet structures needed for high volume bass playing. If he was playing the amp balls out, that might be the problem.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 2:27:36 PM EDT
Preamp tube might be bad. If it was an all tube amp I'd say he lost a power tube. But I think he may have effed something up other than that. I don't know squat about solid state except that the Line6 stuff is pretty good at emulation!
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 2:32:36 PM EDT
Sounds like a legit problem, but that is his problem. I wouldn't give him back squat. If it was within 72 hours, maybe, 29 days, no way.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 7:52:31 PM EDT
Maybe his db meter's batteries are dying.
Top Top