Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 10/31/2004 3:48:27 AM EDT
I am looking into getting a DVD recorder to put my hundreds of VHS movies onto disc. I want the ability to record in RW format as well as regular.

Anyone have any experience? I am looking at the Sony RDR-GX 300.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 3:57:17 AM EDT
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 4:24:50 AM EDT
The Panasonic DVD RAM drive is obsolete. They make a DVD Multi now that's RW. (Not bad but $$$$$) I've been upgrading all the machines here at work with DVD-RW's for easy "stupid proff" backups. (I'm using busslink)

Get yourself a firewire or PS2 external DVD-RW. You'll like it better. (Portability)

Link Posted: 10/31/2004 4:29:13 AM EDT
I've been using the Philips +R+RW for about a year now and everyone in the skydiving videographer game is using them as well. I cant remember the exact model but I believe its the 65 or 75.
+RW discs are still pricey but +R can be found for about 60 cents on sale. Go with a +R+RW machine it seems to be the best technology.
The only thing the +RW discs have over +R is that +R has to be "finalized" to view on another machine and that locks the disc to further recording even if its not full. Not a problem in your case.
I use my machine professionaly and its stood me well for a year of everyday use. Not to say some of the less pricey units wont do the same but they werent around when I bought mine.
If you are only going to transfer your video to disc for your personal use then I would use price as a major factor. SanYo has a +R+RW unit at Walmart for about 198.

Link Posted: 10/31/2004 4:32:59 AM EDT
Anandtech.com has given high marks to the Pioneer 16X model (DRW-108, I think). It's available at a very reasonable price from Newegg.com
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 4:59:19 AM EDT
What's the difference between DVD- and DVD+?

Any advantages/ disadvantages between them?
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 5:03:30 AM EDT

Originally Posted By NFBBM:
The Panasonic DVD RAM drive is obsolete.

I definitely do NOT want the Panasonic with RAM. If I understand correctly, If I record a game with RAM, it can't be played on any other machine other than a Panasonic with RAM.

Get yourself a firewire or PS2 external DVD-RW. You'll like it better. (Portability)

I want a stand alone unit, and I don't have a PS2(Xbox baby!) I also don't want a 2 in 1 unit aka dvd/vcr. If one side breaks down, I am screwed.

Price point is around the $400 mark, and I also must have the ability to watch what I am recording (as I understand it this means Splash?)
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 5:08:33 AM EDT
Plextor.
End of thread.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 7:33:41 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Specop_007:
Plextor.
End of thread.

Plextor?
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 8:52:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/31/2004 8:55:46 AM EDT by Atencio]

Originally Posted By JH225:

Originally Posted By Specop_007:
Plextor.
End of thread.

Plextor?

Since you mentioned that Sony model I am assuming(actually you even state that a couple of threads up) you want a stand alone unit like a VCR. Plexor is a computer component maker.

I bought a Toshiba unit with a 80 gig internal hard drive for about three hundred bucks. I didnt want to go crazy and buy an expensive one because I am waiting for stand alone dual burners to become available and then become cheap enough to buy.

I would look for one that has an internal hard drive and progressive scan. Also, the ability to time slip record and multiple connections, ie: firewire, etc. Basically I would look for one that is easy to use/price and go from there.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 8:55:00 AM EDT

Originally Posted By JH225:
I definitely do NOT want the Panasonic with RAM. If I understand correctly, If I record a game with RAM, it can't be played on any other machine other than a Panasonic with RAM.

You'll run into the same problem with RW. The only discs that will play on a regular DVD player are -R and +R, and some older ones will only play -R. I would reccomend the Panasonic with the built-in hard drive. This will give you the ability to edit out commercials before you burn to a disc for archiving.
Top Top