Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/1/2006 8:52:15 PM EDT
A friend told me I could make an image of my HDD (windows, program files and so on) and make a bootable DVD and just install from that and be good to go next time I need to format..... But ill be damned if I can figure this out. So anyone here know the program and can help me?
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:53:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I use Driveimage 7
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:04:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Who makes that?
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:08:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Symantic I think...
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:28:00 PM EDT
[#4]
I was just looking for the same thing.

After reading a bunch of reviews at anandtech I decided on Acronis True Image. I bought it from Newegg for $30 and they sent me a download link.

That was just yesterday so I haven't used it.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:29:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Ghost by Norton.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:40:17 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I was just looking for the same thing.

After reading a bunch of reviews at anandtech I decided on Acronis True Image. I bought it from Newegg for $30 and they sent me a download link.

That was just yesterday so I haven't used it.

Im trying the trial version right now... Cause if I have to format, ill just be able to install it again. HA!!!

Anywho, im wondering if what I want isnt part of the "trial" version..... Have you installed yours yet? If so was gonna see what options it gives you under "pick a task"
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 12:16:31 AM EDT
[#7]
It's pretty straightforward, I just follow the menus.  I don't use DVDs though, just clone to another hard drive.  The only way to backup IMO.  The trial version has all the features but expires after a period of time.  I recommend Acronis over Ghost, especially if you have an IBM laptop.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 12:34:19 AM EDT
[#8]
I have all the main stuff backed up to abanother HDD..... What I was wanting to do was have my C: drive ready to go, programs updated (windows installed) and so on, where I can make an image of it to burn on a DVD, that way when I need to format, I can pop that DVD in and it installs back to all of that crap and ready to go.... No need to resinatll those programs one by one or type in cd-keys for anything, including windows...
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 12:43:36 AM EDT
[#9]
I use Norton Ghost, and have been for hell almost 10 years. It is the safest and most dependable in my opinion. It's what Dell and other companies use to image all their drives for installation in servers and workstations before they go out the door, and I've trusted my business to it many times.

- rem
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 12:49:59 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I have all the main stuff backed up to abanother HDD..... What I was wanting to do was have my C: drive ready to go, programs updated (windows installed) and so on, where I can make an image of it to burn on a DVD, that way when I need to format, I can pop that DVD in and it installs back to all of that crap and ready to go.... No need to resinatll those programs one by one or type in cd-keys for anything, including windows...

What do you mean backed up on the other HDD?  Files copied?  Why not just clone the drive?  That way if your original dies, you just pop the other one in and pick up where you left off.  No messing around with reloading your drive image.  HDDs are cheap, certainly worth the time of trying to span your image over multiple DVDs IMO.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 12:52:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Guess ill copy the whole thing then and clone it...Hmmmmmm

Well, after this formatt anyway... Waiting on RAM to be RMA'ed then reinstall and fix the corrupt data
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 3:57:38 PM EDT
[#12]
OK I got it figured out... WOOOT!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top