Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Posted: 12/26/2003 4:00:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/26/2003 4:07:35 PM EDT by Jeep29]
I've had a GPS since '95 and my wife bought be a new highspeed 12 channel job for christmas. While checking out GPs on the net I found a sight for geocashing. Basicly, it is a GPS treasure hunt with caches stashed damn near everywhere.

My wife and I went up to Il today and checked out a sight listed along the interstate. Took us about 10 minutes to locate the box and was pretty suprised. The contents were things like a 120 Minute ATT Calling Card, a refrigerator magnent, a coupon for a free round of Sporting Clays at a range in Fl, a golf ball, a bunch of stickers, and assorted other items. also, there was a logbook to log who you are, what you took and what you left.

My wife and I both thought it was pretty cool and plan on looking for a few more challenging ones soon. If you have a GPS laying around its worth checking out.

www.geocaching.com/
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 4:10:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/26/2003 4:13:08 PM EDT by MrPotatoHead]
One entry found for basically.

Main Entry: ba·si·cal·ly
Pronunciation: 'bA-si-k(&-)lE also -zi-
Function: adverb
Date: 1903
1 a : at a basic level : in fundamental disposition or nature b : for the most part
2 : in a basic manner : SIMPLY  

3 entries found for cache.
To select an entry, click on it.
 cache[1,noun]cache[2,transitive verb]Cache la Poudre  

Main Entry: 1cache
Pronunciation: 'kash
Function: noun
Etymology: French, from cacher to press, hide, from (assumed) Vulgar Latin coacticare to press together, from Latin coactare to compel, frequentative of cogere to compel -- more at COGENT
Date: 1797
1 a : a hiding place especially for concealing and preserving provisions or implements b : a secure place of storage
2 : something hidden or stored in a cache
3 : a computer memory with very short access time used for storage of frequently used instructions or data -- called also cache memory

Link Posted: 12/26/2003 4:11:14 PM EDT
yeah - lots of fun, isn't it??

just got the Rino120's - the GPS with the integrated radio -

can't wait to try these out on our next adventure...

Link Posted: 12/26/2003 4:15:02 PM EDT
I have a Garmin Vista that I use for hunting and hiking.

I have read about and did some i-net research on geo-caching and it looks like fun.

I intend to give it a try come spring/summer, I don't think I'd enjoy the experience in the middle of winter....

I will most probably be posting my own AZ caching coords soon...
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 4:17:12 PM EDT
Yeah we got my dad a 12 channel for Christmas, he already went out today following caches.
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 4:26:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/26/2003 4:28:08 PM EDT by Energizer]
yep! I mostly like multi-caches, and I like making difficult caches as well as finding them.

I am also "Energizer" on Geocaching.com and TexasGeocaching.com.

fyi: its called geocaching, as in in "cache" not "cash".

PS: Some people don't put nice items in their final cache containers, and some people don't trade with equal or greater valued items. Also, some caches don't offer gift exchanges-- its all about the "hunt"...
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 5:22:33 PM EDT
I got into Geocasheing last summer.  Lots of fun and another excuse to go out in the great outdoors.  This was covered in detail in the Survival section.  There was a link posted to all sorts of geo stuff.  I am Bobwrench on Geocashing.com also.

Bobwrench
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 6:45:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/26/2003 6:47:01 PM EDT by Garand_Shooter]
Yup, although I'm am into benchmark hunting as much as hunting for caches. Many of the benchmarks near here were placed from 1910-1940, and have a lot of history behind them. Many are so remote it was impossible to carry in materials to make marks, to they were chiseled into rocks.

In many cases, nobody has looked for or found these for 50 or more years, so to search through the woods and find one can be quite a challenge.

For those of you into geocaching, check out the benchmark hunting section and all the benchmarks near you!
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 8:03:19 PM EDT
Originally Posted By MrPotatoHead:

1 a : at a basic level : in fundamental disposition or nature b : for the most part

Etymology: French, from cacher to press, hide, from (assumed) Vulgar Latin coacticare to press together, from Latin coactare to compel, frequentative of cogere to compel -- more at COGENT
1 a : a hiding place especially for concealing and preserving provisions or implements b : a secure place of storage
3 : a computer memory with very short access time used for storage of frequently used instructions or data -- called also cache memory

View Quote

Thanks. Would you mind looking up COCKSUCKER for me?
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 8:38:19 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Jeep29:
Originally Posted By MrPotatoHead:

View Quote

[red]Thanks. Would you mind looking up COCKSUCKER for me?[/red]
View Quote

[:D] you asked for that one!

Link Posted: 12/27/2003 4:42:35 AM EDT
Yup, MrsJ and I have about 21 under our belt. We plan to do a few more over the holiday.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 5:01:49 AM EDT
I started about 3 1/2 years ago. Lots of fun.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 5:04:15 AM EDT
Originally Posted By RipMeyer:
I started about 3 1/2 years ago. Lots of fun.
View Quote

What part of Texas are you located?
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 5:25:39 AM EDT
North San Antonio
Top Top