Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/12/2002 5:40:37 PM EDT
I am about to put my home on the market.  I figured I'd check here first to see if anyone might be interested.  The home is located in the foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains, about 45 minutes outside of Knoxville, TN.  3/4 acre of land, large fenced yard, full basement (partially finished), 800 sq ft in basement and 1200 sq. ft main level.  Loads of new and updated appliances, including brand new windows, doors, Heat pump/furnace, fireplace stove insert (woodburning), very low taxes ($280 a year), well water (sweet tasting), very quiet neighborhood, plentiful wildlife, surrounded by National Park, walking distance to lake.  House recently appraised for $90,000 but am selling for $75,000 or best offer.  Moving to Florida soon.

Contact me if interested - would make great vacation home, primary home, rental, or eventual retirement home.

Greywolf ([email protected])
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 5:50:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Whereabouts would that be located? Cocke Co?
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 5:58:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 5:59:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Located in southern Blount county, right off the Foothills Parkway.  About 20 minutes from Townsend.  You get onto the Foothills Parkway (all surrounded by park land), drive about 11 miles up the parkway (beautiful mountain and city views on either side) and then you get to this little tucked away and hidden community called "Top of the World" - a couple of small and one large lake, homes (mostly vacation homes) spread out all over the place.  Most of the lots up there are undeveloped, and about half of the homes are unoccupied most of the year.  Incredible views abound, some just a minute from my place.  Probably one of the best kept secrets around.
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 6:08:17 PM EDT
[#4]
When my wife and I first bought the place, we were in full "Shit hit the fan" mode - we wanted a nice survivalist retreat, and figured that this place, due to its location, lay of the land (up on a small rise with a commanding view of most of the neighborhood), plentiful game, well water, wood heat, heavily wooded property, and lack of neighbors, would be just the place in case something ever happened.  Many of the improvements we made to the place were made with that thought in mind.

Originally a two bedroom, 1.5 bath - we converted a room in the basement and with improvements and egress, the house can now be called a 3 BR.  Tons of storage space, including a full attic with partial flooring.
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 7:23:44 PM EDT
[#5]
If you want to do a private mortgage I'll take it tomorrow, sight unseen.  Didn't think so, well, I tried.

Mike
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 2:41:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Sure, I'll do a private mortgage.  Best friend is an attorney, so I'll get all the paperwork done up just right.
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 3:04:56 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm going to be listing it soon (trying to do a FSBO first). We bought the house for a great price (owners divorced and wanted a quick sale) and have done a LOT of rennovating over the 5 years we have had it. This little community up here is very little-known, and most people who bought up here did so years and years ago. Originally developed as a vacation/upscale community (golf course, pools, lakes), the developer went belly-up in the 70s and a lot of people sold their land for pennies on the dollar. No zoning to speak of up here, and for a while in the 80s it had a sort of bad reputation, but that has changed and now more people are building nice homes up here. We just got really lucky. Granted, our home is one of the nice ones up here and there are still quite a few older mobile homes around, but most people up here are starting to fix up/tear down their old places and build new ones. One of our neighbors built a new home recently and is selling it for $160,000 - house isn't much bigger than ours, but has about 4 acres of land and is brand new.
btw, here is a link to a National Park Weather site that has a live webcam, that will allow you to see what some of the views are like that I get to see everyday on my drive to work - this webcam is about 1 minute drive from my house.
[url]http://www2.nature.nps.gov/ard/parks/grsm/grsmcam/grsmcam.htm[/url]
[blue]edited to make the link active![/blue]

Link Posted: 7/13/2002 4:46:57 AM EDT
[#8]
good luck greywolf!

Link Posted: 7/13/2002 5:03:17 AM EDT
[#9]
post a picture my friend.
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 5:30:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Greywolf,
Where do you go for shooting/plinking?  Anything close by?

Also, any chance of posting a pic?
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 9:02:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks, Campy - only bad thing about moving to FL will be that I'll be even farther away from the Bulletfest!

I will see what I can do about posting some pics if you all are interested in seeing them.  I really need to buy a scanner.

As for shooting - well, you can actually shoot on my property if you wanted to.  Not illegal here to shoot on your own property.  Part of my backyard goes down into a gulch, and there are no other houses down there, so I have set up targets down there and had a blast.  But there are some decent shooting clubs in Knoxville and Gatlinburg, both about 45 minutes away.  I belong to a very nice one in Gatlinburg (200 yard rifle, 100 yard rifle/pistol, Skeet, Trap, Clays, fishing, picnic - I even held the First Annual (and only) Greywolf's Smoky Mountain Shoot there last year - had about 15 guys from various boards show up.

One of the nicest features about this house is our fireplace.  We totally renovated it from a standard wood fireplace with flue (and god awful firebrick red brick) to a beautiful stone fireplace, mantle, professional tile job on the hearth - it is very large and a focal point of the whole living room.  The addition of the Lopi (top of the line) woodburning fireplace stove insert truly makes the room - cost a total of $4000 for the entire fireplace makeover, but damn does it look nice and the stove heats the whole house quite nicely in the winter.

Now, I won't lie and say that the house is in perfect shape.  It still needs a lot of work to get it to "show" quality.  One side of the house needs some siding repair and paint, the basement needs a lot of work to make it liveable (though I don't have any leaks or major moisture issues in the basement), and currently we are on subfloor as we haven't gotten carpet in yet - I can't imagine what the house will appraise for once we get all the stuff done to it that we want - but I am hoping that someone buys it before then for a lower cost and then just does the work themselves.  We've been here for 5 years and love it, but have to sell it to move.  LOL - and we had just spent $3200 on fencing the yard, too! :)

I'll see what I can do about those pics.  One of the things I love so much up here is the natural setting and wildlife, not to mention the change of seasons - you cannot even begin to imagine what it looks like in the fall when all the colors change.
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 9:18:14 AM EDT
[#12]
sounds NICE!
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 6:29:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Damn, if I could figure out a way to get decent paying work up there, I'd be super interested.
Love East Tenn and the western Carolinas.  Wife was born & partly raised in Chattanooga.  E mail me (address in the profile box), and let's discuss it.
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 6:40:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Damn man. That sounds about like my all time dream home. Love the area too.

If you could hold it for a year or so until I graduate, and a few more years until I can get up the $$$, i'll buy it outright [:D]
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 7:07:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Heh heh - well, so far I have gotten two people who seem to be somewhat interested in this place - so I'll have to see what happens, McUzi :)
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 12:42:13 PM EDT
[#16]
bumpage
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 11:30:15 AM EDT
[#17]
another bump for good luck :)
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 12:02:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Good luck selling it [beer]

Its always nice to do it without a middle man that takes a 10% or more chunk of the pie  [Smoke]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top