Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/21/2012 6:51:56 PM EDT
My hip is causing me some serious pain, and my doc prescribed me DICLOFENAC SOD EC 75mg for pain and inflammation, and TRAMADOL HCL 50mg for pain.

The side effects and warnings for the DICLOFENAC are giving me the heebie-jeebies. Bloody or black tarry stool, bleeding from the stomach or intestines without warning, and vomit that resembles coffee grounds?

WTF?

I'm thinking I'd rather just keep putting up with the pain instead.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:53:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Ibuprofen is an NSAID too.  It can give you bloody shits as well if taken in large doses (I can't take more than 800-1000mg in a day).

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:55:39 PM EDT
[#2]
everyone who has ever taken an aspirin or ibuprofen has taken an NSAID.

NSAID = Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:58:27 PM EDT
[#3]
If you get heartburn stop it.
I tell my patients to keep the bottle at the dinner table.
Eat half the meal, take the med and then finish the meal.

The .gov makes big pharma list all kinds of side effects but NSAIDS definitely have GI, kidney and blood pressure effects
EVERY med has side effects
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:58:51 PM EDT
[#4]
The weird effect on either end would be from the bleeding if it occurred.  

Of the two, that's probably the one you'll notice a lot less side effects from.  
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:00:19 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

If you get heartburn stop it.

I tell my patients to keep the bottle at the dinner table.

Eat half the meal, take the med and then finish the meal.

The .gov makes big pharma list all kinds of side effects but NSAIDS definitely have GI, kidney and blood pressure effects

EVERY med has side effects

Agree... DEFINITELY take diclofenac with meals.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:01:39 PM EDT
[#6]
I guess my concern is that this particular flavor of NSAID is prescription, and potentially stronger (?) than a standard 800mg dose of IBUPROFEN.

The prescription information sheets that came with the RX were really eye opening.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:17:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Um,yeah,I didn't have a problem with the side effects until smacked with the norovirus.I honestly thought I was going to die.No exaggeration,I thought this tragic comedy was gonna end with me passed out and immobile  in a puddle of blood on my bathroom floor.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:20:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:24:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Yep Advil and Naproxen cause I gots bad wisdom toofs.......  I take around 6-9 a day also got some Nebtone or some shit I'm to lazy to go see but Advil is best for me...
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:24:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:31:25 PM EDT
[#11]
I take NSAIDs periodically for TMJ.  I don't take it frequently enough or in large enough quantities that it causes adverse side effects.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:38:23 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I guess my concern is that this particular flavor of NSAID is prescription, and potentially stronger (?) than a standard 800mg dose of IBUPROFEN.

The prescription information sheets that came with the RX were really eye opening.

I used to take all Aleve/Naproxen (also an NSAID - but over-the-counter) all the time for pain/inflammation, along with stuff like Vicodin.

Now I take Diclofenac instead, and it works much, MUCH better.

For the record, I don't take it with meals or anything.  I just take one in the morning every two or three days or so.

Academics make the worst patients

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:41:31 PM EDT
[#13]
NSAIDs are pretty common for all sorts of musculoskeletal pain.  That Tramadol is no NSAID –– it's an opiod analgesic similar to Tylenol but with mild narcotic, pain-blocking affect.  I take it and NSAIDs every day for arthritis pain.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:43:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Some herbal anti-inflammatory medicines I have been taking with effect over the last 2 days:

Alfalfa concentrate

Devil's claw

I take 3 pills each 2x a day.  The brand is Nature's Way.  

I have suffered chronic inflammation pain in my feet for about the last 6 years and usually have treated it with NSAIDs like naproxen and Ibuprofen from the doctor but they haven't worked very well.  These herbal meds work better and faster.  I tried the herbal path because the pharmaceutical path wasn't working for me, for years.

It isn't a 100% cure but I can tell it's  more effective (less pain, relief comes faster.)

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top