Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/23/2017 7:24:25 AM EDT
If so, how much did they rape you on charges / fees etc?

I'm trying to sell a motorcycle but locally people express interest but nobody follows through. 
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:42:11 AM EDT
[#1]
I hear lots of horror stories about Ebay/PayPal not being fair to sellers mostly siding with the buyer on sales costing seller both merchandise and money.

Ebay seller fees are constantly going up.Thought about it myself until researching it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:51:01 AM EDT
[#2]
When I did it was 60 for under 2k and 120 for over. Not sure if its changed

Guy paid cash
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:55:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
When I did it was 60 for under 2k and 120 for over. Not sure if its changed
Guy paid cash
View Quote
I believe that's what it was when I sold my bike on eBay.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:57:31 AM EDT
[#4]
I thought that in addition to the listing fee.....they also take a percentage of what you sell the car for.  

I looked into it one time.......it was going to cost a ton in fees and extra charges.  When there is CL, FB classified sections, and tons of auto forums out there........why would you mess with ebay?
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 8:01:15 AM EDT
[#5]
I had a friend that listed a unique car on Ebay.  A guy came out, looked at the car, made a cash offer, and bought it.  The price didn't meet the reserve, so I'm not certain how much commission he paid. 
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 8:01:32 AM EDT
[#6]
They have free listing promotion sometimes but in not sure if it applies to eBay motors.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 8:10:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Don't take more than a deposit via PayPal for payment. Always get certified check or cash on pickup.

eBay fees are listing fee plus a final fee based on value of car.  Normally $150-$250 depending on sell price.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 8:12:27 AM EDT
[#8]

I listed an old Bronco several years ago.  As others describe, best I remember, the guy drove in to look at it, paid cash and came back few days later with trailer to haul it home.  Simple, easy, would do again.

Link Posted: 8/23/2017 8:13:17 AM EDT
[#9]
no thanks.. I'll just ask a stranger to kick me in the balls..

I once sold a Kohler shower head.. it was polished brass in color and my post said "solid brass shower head" or something like that..

the person who bought it said that she thought it was supposed to have a chrome finish (I even listed the model number which designated "polished brass" as the finish).

there are FAR too many thieves on ebay for me to ever sell anything else on there..
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 8:49:06 AM EDT
[#10]
I sold a forklift this summer and an F-250 last summer on Ebay motors. No issue with the F-250, buyer came with cash and left town.

The forklift buyer tried to claim the engine had problems but I just ignored him. Had him pay through a wire transfer and sign a Bill of Sale that indicated "As Is and Where Is" before I let the trucking co pick it up. I reminded him of that and he went away.

I don't remember the fees on the F-250, but the forklift was about $320 fees on an $8k sale.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:04:35 AM EDT
[#11]
OK. Just seems I can put more feelers out there with ebay on my motorcycle. It's a 1993 yamaha FZR600 that is in superb shape. It would be more of a enthisiast / collectors bike at this point with its age. It runs awesome and its plenty fast. I just got tried of messing with carbs and went with a FI bike.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:10:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Sold my streetrod on Ebay, but did not use PayPal for the money transaction. Insisted on an electronic transfer to my account.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:14:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sold my streetrod on Ebay, but did not use PayPal for the money transaction. Insisted on an electronic transfer to my account.
View Quote
I bought a Tundra off eBay back in the spring.  That's how we did it.  Small PP deposit, the rest electronic transfer.  It worked out beautifully.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:29:20 AM EDT
[#14]
There are two key points to remember in a sale like this.

1.  Always have the seller sign two copies of a good Bill of Sale. One for you, and one for him / her. This protects you in case they don't register the vehicle and it is involved in shenanigans, and it allows you to set the terms of the sale (As Is, Where Is, No Warranty Expressed or Implied, No Verbal Communications Will Be Recognized, etc.).

2.  Never allow PayPal to be a party to any portion of the transaction, not even a deposit. They are heavily biased toward the buyers side and will cause you much hassle with only the slightest complaint of the buyer.

My bank provided a temporary wire transfer number that allowed the transfer without giving the buyer access to my bank account number. This was very important to me.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:47:20 AM EDT
[#15]
I tried to sell a truck on ebay about 15 years ago, cost $40 to list it.
It was a beater f150 2wd, some guy put in a high bid with just seconds to go, BANG truck is sold, ebay charged me another $80 for the sale
never heard from the guy, I got Ebay to tell me his address, he was in Texas
they made me wait a full 30 days to file a non-paying bidder claim, then another 2 weeks for my refund.

I then tried to re-list the truck because at the time $40 was "re-list till it sells" was their policy
I couldn't get the listing to come up for free, so I emailed them and their response was "you sold the truck, it's not our fault they didn't pay, no free re-listing for you"

cost me $40 to sell the truck, screw ebay!

I've sold lots of other shit over the years on ebay, last time was about 4 years ago, I sold some electronics to some Ahole in Ohio, had the stuff for a week and then filed a claim saying the stuff didn't work and he wanted his money back
ebay is totally buyer oriented now, they wanted me to refund the guys money in 24 hours or less, I replied HELL NO not till he returns the Items and only then if the items are in the same condition and not working
ebay actually said that was fine, told the buyer to return with tracking
I wasn't home when the package was delivered to my house, paypal issued the refund out of my account about 10 minutes after the tracking said the package was delivered.
I never keep money in my paypal account so it was in the negative after the refund, they promptly emailed asking me to make a deposit to cover the neg balance.
I left that neg balance for over a year

now I only buy, because I'm covered, they don't want sellers to succeed any more
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top