Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/26/2005 8:09:37 PM EDT
I just went to the Sate Fair; its gone now, but when I was younger they had a truly scuzzy arcade, filled with aincient games. It was where obsolete equipment went to die. But man, thinking about that place brought back memories...

Arcade games used to be totally mechanical, with garish painted and oversized cases. They were clunky and hokey, but they had a certain character that video games just lack. I'm sure that is partly nostalgia, but they did have to try harder since they lacked technical sophistication; to make up for that the games themselves had much, much more individuality than the mass produced games of today.

One in particular I rember simulated a jet fighter mission. The ground terrain was represented by an actual DIORAMA; it was about two and a half feet wide, and was in the form of an endless loop, with rollers at the front and rear that rotated to scroll it around continuously, giving you the impression that it was moving beneath you...the case it was mounted in must have been eight feet long! The "explosions" were rear-lit paintings, projected on a glass sheet in front of you. It was cheesy as hell, but that's all we had back then; it sure beat daydreaming!

The only other one I remember clearly was a Texas shoot-out scene; it had stamped metal saloons and cacti as a backdrop, and you shot at the pop-up badguys with a pneumatic pistol that shot ball bearings.

I miss those days; while the games were really not all that good, at least they forced you to use your imagination, which can't be said for today's elaborate video games...

Anyone else remember any of these "analog" arcade games?
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 8:28:34 PM EDT
pinball?
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 8:35:52 PM EDT
no I rember the really primative pong like arcade console games but nothing with a moving diorama
thats kinda cool
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 8:39:59 PM EDT
Anyone remember the one where you had a speargun and shot sharks and stingrays? Or the submarine one where you had the periscope? Those were great.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 8:41:28 PM EDT
I remember one where you flew a helo on a wire arm but the rotors actually functioned so you sorta flew it. One version was an alien invasion and when they would pop up you could hit the aliens with a green light by pushing a button on the joystick and they'd duck back down into the saucer or behind a rock or whatever. Another version I remember you did the same thing but you were on "Monster Island" and chased off Rodan and Godzilla etc.......
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 8:42:38 PM EDT
I remember a drag-racing game that had a couple of 1/25 scale cars above a "rolling road". The cars didn't really touch the road, but could be "steered" during the race. There was a gas pedal, steering wheel and a shifter. You had to shift at the right time, not over-rev the engine (in fact I think "Redline" was the name of the game.) and not red-light. There was one at Fun House Pizza from about 1972-1977 or so. I must've put $300 into that sucker!
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 8:44:13 PM EDT
Please don't dis pinball. I made most of my drinking money playing pinball in college. A gentle bump of the table and a little flipper english resulted in lotsof free beer.

Sometimes old school ain't all that bad.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 8:48:46 PM EDT

Originally Posted By DzlBenz:
I remember a drag-racing game that had a couple of 1/25 scale cars above a "rolling road". The cars didn't really touch the road, but could be "steered" during the race. There was a gas pedal, steering wheel and a shifter. You had to shift at the right time, not over-rev the engine (in fact I think "Redline" was the name of the game.) and not red-light. There was one at Fun House Pizza from about 1972-1977 or so. I must've put $300 into that sucker!

Wasn't this game featured in the first "Dawn of the Dead" documentary? The little SWAT guy was playing it after he got bit by the zombie and infected, was he not?
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 8:49:28 PM EDT
Zaxxon was video but pretty old. Matter of fact I was world champion for a good long while.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 8:51:08 PM EDT

Originally Posted By AyeGuy:
Wasn't this game featured in the first "Dawn of the Dead" documentary? The little SWAT guy was playing it after he got bit by the zombie and infected, was he not?

Dunno. I'm usually too busy taking notes during the documentaries to notice the minute details.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 8:52:26 PM EDT
If we are talking primitive video games, I rember Space Race, Lunar Lander (an AWESOME sim!) and PONG fer crissakes...
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 9:06:41 PM EDT
You just can't beat "Whackamole" That still survives today. I do remember the "diorama" games. What about them bringing back the late seventies early eighties handheld football games where you moved a little light across the screen one spot at a time. It was LED type. For early video games, Battlezone was awesome. I can't tell you how many quarters I put into that thing. Kicked ass at it too.

I sorta feel bad for kids now-a-days. They will never know the joy of a couple of friends getting on their bicycles and going riding out in the countryside, finding a spring to play in, climbing trees, not depending on a TV or computer or nintendo/ps2 to while away the hours. There are some that still can do that, but it is not the same. They will never know what it was like when that was THEthing to do and there was nothing else to do. Why should they go out in the woods and watch squirrels and birds etc when they can just turn on animal planet. (speaking of which, remember the original Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom?)
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 9:08:44 PM EDT

If we are talking primitive video games, I rember Space Race, Lunar Lander (an AWESOME sim!) and PONG fer crissakes...

Please do not bring VIDEO games into this thread. I want to keep the discussion on MECHANICAL arcade games!
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 9:12:00 PM EDT

Originally Posted By PsyWarrior:
You just can't beat "Whackamole" That still survives today. I do remember the "diorama" games. What about them bringing back the late seventies early eighties handheld football games where you moved a little light across the screen one spot at a time. It was LED type. For early video games, Battlezone was awesome. I can't tell you how many quarters I put into that thing. Kicked ass at it too.

I sorta feel bad for kids now-a-days. They will never know the joy of a couple of friends getting on their bicycles and going riding out in the countryside, finding a spring to play in, climbing trees, not depending on a TV or computer or nintendo/ps2 to while away the hours. There are some that still can do that, but it is not the same. They will never know what it was like when that was THEthing to do and there was nothing else to do. Why should they go out in the woods and watch squirrels and birds etc when they can just turn on animal planet. (speaking of which, remember the original Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom?)

Wasn't that the one where the old dude sent the young guys out to be mauled by lions and urinated on by monkeys?

I was no country boy, but all the empty fields we used to adventure in and shoot bb guns are now all covered with houses
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 9:21:03 PM EDT
The shark /speargun one i used to play. The periscope and torpedo game also.

I remember a stand up game where you had 2 machine guns that shot at a clear plastic screen, shooting at jets that were on plastic squares that scrolled off the screen from left to right and right to left. I remember playing that one with my Dad.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 9:23:40 PM EDT
My favorate game was Atari's Tempest... it was one of the 1st vector graphics games... Asteroids was a good game too.. both had fluid graphics and real good sound.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 8:09:39 AM EDT

Please do not bring VIDEO games into this thread. I want to keep the discussion on MECHANICAL arcade games!

ByteTheBullet (-:
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 8:12:56 AM EDT
lol i still own an old pistol shooting game from the early 1900's. you put a penny in and you shot small ball bearings out of a luger type pistol at ducks as they turned in a window, the motor is the size of a fridge. still works too
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 8:22:05 AM EDT
You can still find Skee Ball around... my Grandfather designed the ticket-issuing machine in Skee Ball games. The company I work for manufactured the ticket units until about 10 years ago.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 8:22:36 AM EDT
I remember an old tank game that had a rubber "belt" type of playfield. You drove the tank along the ground, and depending on how rough the terrain was, it went fast or slow.

Every once in a while there was a well placed enemy tank perched on a hill or whatever, and if you did not shoot it in time, the rear screen glowed red and you were done. Pretty cool game.

Link Posted: 8/27/2005 8:23:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/27/2005 8:24:11 AM EDT by pighelmet]
Oh yeah, Mutal of Omaha had Marlin Perkins, and the "sacrificial animal man", Jim.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 8:25:14 AM EDT
SPECTRE walks up, lays two quarters on the Asteroids control panel and calls "I got next !!"
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 8:43:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/27/2005 8:53:31 AM EDT by Galland]
I remember seeing a mechanical arcade game at the ocean pier down the road but I cannot remember exactly how it was set up. It was removed in the mid 1990s after sitting for several months with an OUT OF ORDER sign taped over the coin slot. The wooden pier and the arcade itself was dismantled and replaced by a very ugly concrete structure two years ago. I haven't bothered to visit the new place. I know I won't like it.

*** I remember now: It was a circuis acrobat game. One had to guide the acrobats through thier routine of flipping around on wires from one side of the tent to the other. If you messed up they fell down. At least I think this was the particular game at Johnny Mercer's pier. I know I've seen a game like it somewhere.

Link Posted: 8/27/2005 8:48:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/27/2005 8:50:38 AM EDT by maddog71]
tag
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 11:27:28 AM EDT
After I came upon this thread, I began thinking back to the very first time I ever played a coin operated arcade game...around 1969 or so. My Father had taken myself and my two brothers to the bowling alley and there, along the concourse, was a line of the most grand machines I'd ever seen.

And this one stood out as the greatest of them all...

I remember that I needed a stool to be tall enough to manipulate the controls and stare in rapture though the window. watching black light lit missles streak skyward to destroy red lit triangles that represented enemy nuclear bombers headed for our cities, that vanished in backlit explosions that filled the entire horizon.

My brothers and I only got to play it one time apeice, as dad rapidly got tire of shelling out dimes for such a frivolous pass time....But it was to late...I was hooked.

I spent half my time for the next couple of months pinching dimes, so I could sneak off to the bowling alley with a couple of friends....To play the glorious game.

After all these years...I still could see that game in my minds eye, but I had long ago forgotten the name of it. I Googled up electro-mechanical arcade games and searched high and low before I found my old childhood friend....Long before Defender or Space Invaders or even Pong

Link Posted: 8/27/2005 12:27:25 PM EDT

Originally Posted By WildBoar:
Anyone remember the one where you had a speargun and shot sharks and stingrays? Or the submarine one where you had the periscope? Those were great.

I remember the submarine one. Wasn't that mechanical ?. pre-video game days ?. Loved that one. I used to play it at Topp's department store.

My favorite one was Battlezone with the green stick figure tanks. I still have alot of those early video games on tha Microsoft Best of Entertainment CD. Galaga is on that one too.

Anyway, back to the original question , I remember the pre-game videos. I was always a little bummed out the graphics quality of the video was better than the cheezy game. I think the "All your base are belong to us" meme is based on one of those pre game videos.
Top Top