Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 10/20/2004 10:00:00 AM EST
Just considering for right now,

but wondering if anyone has one.

how are the energy levels?

would they be decent in an apartment? considering that I would give it walks/exercise everyday.

anyway just wondering what your experiences are.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 10:03:56 AM EST
My brother-in-law has two of them. Male and female. They are both well behaved.

A little small for my tastes.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 10:07:59 AM EST
Well smaller is better,

Eventually I want to get a German Shep. but not until I have a house/yard.

They are just soo damn cute. I know its un manly not to have a bone crusher for a dog, but a friend of the family has one and it is just the sweetest nicest dog.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 10:10:18 AM EST
how many years before you get a yard.
a dog lives about 12 years.

you may want to wait and get what you want.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 10:10:35 AM EST
I don't have dogs, but I've known people who have had Corgis and they invariably say that they are incredibly well-tempered and fun dogs.

Link Posted: 10/20/2004 10:11:49 AM EST
Known several of the species, from pleasant to viscious snapping little beasts I wouldn't let near small children. And those two polar-opposites were in the same household.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 10:19:22 AM EST
kickdog
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 10:21:30 AM EST

Originally Posted By hk940:
how many years before you get a yard.
a dog lives about 12 years.

you may want to wait and get the other one you want.

thats really more like it.

I love all animals I just don't want to subject a lanky energy craving dog to Apt life.

My neighbors have a whiemareiner (whatever) in an Apt.

that to me is just dumb.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 10:32:27 AM EST
tag.

Thinking about this one but have a small child and want to make sure.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 10:34:50 AM EST

Any reason why you picked
the Corgi? I've been looking
for a dog recently that will
work out well in a condo. My
buddy has a smaller female
Lab that is just freaking
awesome (sleeps during the
day, plays at night - happy
as can be). I've also been
looking at some of the standard
poodle mixes (lab-poodle,
weimeriner-poodle, etc) due
to allergy concerns.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 10:37:43 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/20/2004 10:40:19 AM EST by Ghostchild]

Originally Posted By Blackriflefever:
tag.

Thinking about this one but have a small child and want to make sure.

From what I have read (grain of salt and all that) they are supposed to be absolutely wonderful with small children. Very protective and soft touch.

Like an Akita but smaller.
they are herding animals so if the child is part of their herd, they will protect them with their lives if necessary.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 10:39:00 AM EST

Originally Posted By TheCynic:
Any reason why you picked
the Corgi? I've been looking
for a dog recently that will
work out well in a condo. My
buddy has a smaller female
Lab that is just freaking
awesome (sleeps during the
day, plays at night - happy
as can be). I've also been
looking at some of the standard
poodle mixes (lab-poodle,
weimeriner-poodle, etc) due
to allergy concerns.

Mainly because it and the australian cattle dog are the only two smallish dogs I like the looks of, and the cattle dog really needs open land to run his/her little heart out.

I like their looks, and all the ones I have met are very nice good dogs.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 10:46:45 AM EST
We had one growing up. They make a good cow dog. Ours would often bite onto the cows tail and try to drag the cows out of the wrong stalls. I was little so I don't remember too much but what I do remember is that it was a friendly fun dog.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 10:53:11 AM EST
one of my ex-GF's had a Corgi, he was a great dog, I would highly recomend one as a pet.

BTW, they races those little little things on a course with hurdles, it pretty damn funny to watch.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 10:54:27 AM EST
from what I have read they are a 200lb dog in a 35 pound dog body.

Link Posted: 10/20/2004 11:00:53 AM EST
I have one........he is a BADASS DOG. No kiding. He is very large for a Pembrooke Welsh....wieghing in at 45 pounds and he is skiny right now. He is the smartest dog I have ever seen and is my best bud. I'll post pics tonight.

BTW. My friends loved him so much that they went and bought one too!
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 11:03:17 AM EST
AND I had him in an apartment for a year and he did fine. But he loves walks and wants to run. He will also nip your heels....it's funny.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 11:07:12 AM EST
Tagging and replying...

I had the pleasure of office-sitting one of these little guys back in 1996 when my chief brought his to the office. An absolute pleasure. Friendly, calm when you want him calm, excited when playing. Smarter than hell. Extremely well-behaved.

I fell in love with the breed right then.

I plan on getting two, myself, and now that I'm moving to NC, there just so happens to be a professional Corgi breeder in the state. WOO-HOO!

Big enough to play with, but small enough to live with. Oh, and UBER-cute babe-magnets!
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 11:10:53 AM EST

Originally Posted By WS4LIF:
AND I had him in an apartment for a year and he did fine. But he loves walks and wants to run. He will also nip your heels....it's funny.

Thats good, I have been exercising more and more and plan to run/walk him when I go,

to spend some quality time with it, and also to have a running friend.

sounds like a pretty good choice so far.

thanks for the replies but won't balk if you want to add more.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 11:11:43 AM EST

Originally Posted By Zaphod:

Big enough to play with, but small enough to live with. Oh, and UBER-cute babe-magnets!

crap, now he knows my plan.

/inside voice: can we trust him??!?
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 11:18:37 AM EST
I have watched trained Corgis herd ducks. Quite a sight. Every Corgi I have known was like a Weiner dog on steroids. Just about any dog can be trained to behave well. The limiting factor with most dogs is the character of their owners. If an owner and dog will go get trained, everybody is so much happier. Dogs are pack animals. They don't care who or what is in the pack with them. They don't care what the pecking order is. They simply want to know where they fit in and then they are quite satisfied. Training establishes the pack structure, not just for the dog (or bitch) but also for the owner.

Dogs are wonderful animals. ONe of God's greatest blessings to man.

BTW, allow me to put in a plug for greyhound rescue organizations. Retired greyhounds make wonderful pets.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 11:21:12 AM EST

Originally Posted By Mahatma8Rice:
I have watched trained Corgis herd ducks. Quite a sight. Every Corgi I have known was like a Weiner dog on steroids. Just about any dog can be trained to behave well. The limiting factor with most dogs is the character of their owners. If an owner and dog will go get trained, everybody is so much happier. Dogs are pack animals. They don't care who or what is in the pack with them. They don't care what the pecking order is. They simply want to know where they fit in and then they are quite satisfied. Training establishes the pack structure, not just for the dog (or bitch) but also for the owner.

Dogs are wonderful animals. ONe of God's greatest blessings to man.

BTW, allow me to put in a plug for greyhound rescue organizations. Retired greyhounds make wonderful pets.

they do, and thats the numberone on my GF list, but we just got a new apartment, and while they are cool on pets, a greyhound is a bigger dog.

I will take him to obedience school, and make sure he is well mannered.

So true about the pack animal aspect.
Top Top