Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/1/2006 12:38:57 PM EDT
Just curious how you like them. I picked a 40 hour one up at BB yesterday and will hopefully get it set up by tomorrow.
I eventually hope to swap the hard drive out with a larger one. Any good "hacks" or good/bad experiences with them?
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 12:42:09 PM EDT
I love mine. You can have my Tivo remote when you pry it from my cold dead hands.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 12:44:30 PM EDT
I have about 4 but only 2 are active. 1 HD Tivo with (2) 250 gig drives and a Series I tivo with 80 and 120 gig drive.

Love em! Oh they are Direct Tivos...
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 12:49:37 PM EDT
TiVo is awesome.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 1:26:27 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Silesius:
TiVo is awesome.

Word.

Balming
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 1:32:33 PM EDT

My only complaint is that you can't record one channel while watching another. VERY annoying.

Otherwise, I love the damned thing!
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 1:33:09 PM EDT
Got mine when they first came out years ago, and bought a lifetime subscription. It paid for itself the second year. When they came out with series 2, they offered to transfer my life membership to the 80-hour model if I wanted to do it. DUH! My old one had (I think) 4 hours of capacity. That was an intelligence test.

Not sure what the monthly subscription fee is, but the lifetime one is worth it. Just do the math. It is real freedom. If you have a large screen TV, you might notice a slight amount of picture quality loss due to their compression algorithm, but it is very slight, and worth the loss many times over.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 1:33:46 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 1:35:12 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Zaphod:

My only complaint is that you can't record one channel while watching another. VERY annoying.

Mine can. I have the DIRECTV with TIVO unit. It has 2 inputs. I have three TIVOs (his, hers, ours).
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 1:36:48 PM EDT

Originally Posted By RenegadeX:

Mine can. I have the DIRECTV with TIVO unit. It has 2 inputs. I have three TIVOs (his, hers, ours).

Maybe I'll do that at my next place, along with HDTV.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 1:37:12 PM EDT

Is there a functional difference between TIVO and the generic DVR that comcast lets you rent as a cable box?

Not to answer my own question, but my DVR is a dual tuner and I can record two programs at once or watch one and record the other.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 1:40:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/1/2006 1:43:17 PM EDT by redfisher]

eta: Zaphod

Get a line splitter............they run about $10, and you are good to go (Link for instructions).

TiVo is f*ing awesome!!

I could not be happier with mine

Pause, fast forward, record, picks likely shows, and programmable from any web access.

It is a beautiful thing...

Changes the way you view TV.

Link Posted: 1/1/2006 1:50:44 PM EDT
I have a tivo with dvd recorder and another directv reciever so I can watch and record separate shows. It is great. My favorite option is to skip comercials.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 2:01:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/1/2006 2:03:50 PM EDT by back40]
I prefer the ReplayTV units myself. Built in networking and combined with DVArchive, make them an unbeatable combo.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 2:03:56 PM EDT
I went with Microsoft's short-lived "Ultimate TV" system about four years ago. $200 and a $100 instant rebate. IMHO, it was/is a much easier system than the TiVo system, which is very complicated. However, any Digital Video Recorder (DVR) is a Godsend.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 2:04:33 PM EDT

Originally Posted By sp1shooter:
My favorite option is to skip comercials.

Is there another method than just fast-forwarding through them?

I also love the pause and rewind functions.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 2:10:47 PM EDT
I just picked one up at CompUSA a few months ago and got the nifty $200 worth of rebates. It's worth the cash. I love mine, there is always something on now. I'm pretty amazed at how good it is at suggesting stuff for me to watch.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 2:17:46 PM EDT
We just hooked up our TiVo
3 weeks ago, and we LOVE IT!
Life is so worth living now..

he he he

Link Posted: 1/1/2006 7:01:19 PM EDT
Good to hear positive reviews from others. I think me and the wife will like it as well.

Someone correct me if I am wrong but I believe if you add a coax splitter and send one to the tv and the other to the tivo, you can record a program w/tivo while watching another program through the tv.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 7:04:55 PM EDT
You can run it through your VCR. Then you can record on Tivo and switch to regular viewing through your regular VCR input.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 7:05:07 PM EDT
I don't have Tivo, but I have 3 Dish Network DVRs and I love having them.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 7:13:32 PM EDT
I have mine over a year and have no complaints.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 7:15:45 PM EDT
I have a replay TV which is like a TIVO but I like it better cause I can download the shows directly to my hard drive and burn a CD/DVD or DIVX them. The tivo requires a 99 dollar converter.

I'm building a PVR out of a spare computer for my bedroom TV now so I can get the same features there as well.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 7:47:03 PM EDT

Originally Posted By crashburnrepeat:
I have a replay TV which is like a TIVO but I like it better cause I can download the shows directly to my hard drive and burn a CD/DVD or DIVX them. The tivo requires a 99 dollar converter.

I'm building a PVR out of a spare computer for my bedroom TV now so I can get the same features there as well.

Tivo requires nothing, just reading on some forums. I can program my Tivo from work through the internet, ftp up and down recordings to burn to dvd or save to HD. Cost 0.00

Link Posted: 1/1/2006 7:51:22 PM EDT

Originally Posted By back40:
I prefer the ReplayTV units myself. Built in networking and combined with DVArchive, make them an unbeatable combo.

And if you miss a show go to www.poopli.com and request someone send it to you.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 7:51:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/1/2006 7:52:47 PM EDT by crestgel]
I built my own DVR. I run SageTv with 4 tuners. No subscription fee. I also download anime and other stuff right to it for viewing.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 7:52:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/1/2006 7:58:08 PM EDT by repub18]
I have wanted one in the past but I couldnt bring myself to pay them a monthly service fee. WHat exactly are you paying the $13 a month for?

I now have a HDTV recorder through the cable company and only pay like $4 extra month. I think that is due to the fact the receivers are in the $300 retail. With TIVO you pay for the receiver and for "service".
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 7:56:49 PM EDT
I just got a Pioneer DVR/DVD recorder for Christmas and I love it!!! I can record and later burn a DVD for permanant storage, and no subscription fees. A bit pricey tho, around $325.00
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 8:29:44 PM EDT
We got one 2 yeas ago with directv service it cost us $5 for tivo and $100 for the Samsung reciever.
We enjoy ours alot and I can watch what ever I want ant.At 0430 in the morning the simpsons are playing along with King of the hill.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 8:30:48 PM EDT

Just got a second one today.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 8:30:53 PM EDT
I work nights ,so tivo is awesome for me
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 8:35:37 PM EDT
We've got two and now we don't even have a VCR hooked up to our TV. It has definitely changed the way I watch television.
Top Top