Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/13/2005 5:17:17 AM EDT
Well, do you?
I have a new obsession for this. I need to know more from an actual owner.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 5:21:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Why not just go with a 20mm?    MJD
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 5:35:48 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm not an owner, but a local range owner told me of a guy who came in with one.

He was so proud of his new rifle.  

However, it was more brutal than he expected.  After firing two rounds he decided to sell it.

BTW, have you priced ammo for that thing?  
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 5:36:27 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I'm not an owner

+1
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 5:39:13 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Yeah, no kdding.  check this out -

A-Square Ammunition 700 Nitro Express 1000 Grain Monolithic Round Nose Solid Box of 5

5 rounds = $364.95
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 5:47:18 AM EDT
[#5]
do I own a 65,000 to 150,000 dollar rifle? nope. don't care for it either. If it had 100k i'd find a whole host of other things to buy with it.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 5:48:44 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, no kdding.  check this out -

A-Square Ammunition 700 Nitro Express 1000 Grain Monolithic Round Nose Solid Box of 5

5 rounds = $364.95

just get a .50BMG !  it's cheap to shoot compared to the 700!
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 5:58:05 AM EDT
[#7]
I have talked to an ex-employe of Rigby rifles, Who I have done blueing for. According to him it kicks LESS than a 460 Wby Mag! The most recoil he has shot was the 577 Nitro. He described it as brutal!

Are you thinking of getting it in a double? and not a bolt action? I would go with the double gun due to the added weight. About 20 ish pounds total for the gun. This and the stock design aid in reducing the recoil.

If your looking for more info let me know and ill dig up some links..
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:00:44 AM EDT
[#8]
I've got a .416 Rigby, and that is quite honestly all the recoil I care for (especially with hot handloads..).

Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:02:21 AM EDT
[#9]

Anyone here own a 700 Nitro Express rifle?

Probably cheaper and less painful to just go ahead and get the penis enlargement surgery.

Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:19:25 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Probably cheaper and less painful to just go ahead and get the penis enlargement surgery.

+1  
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:21:53 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I've got a .416 Rigby, and that is quite honestly all the recoil I care for (especially with hot handloads..).

for what? I'm not being sarcastic ... I'm truly curious what you use that monster for in TN

I want a "large game" rifle for Elk, Moose and bear if I ever go out west or up north. A 338 Win mag(had a Tikka and sold it) or 338-06, maybe even a 9.3x62. A 416 seems a bit large! you going to Africa?
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:22:02 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

enlist in the Army and shoot howitzers from your shoulder.

I'm not sure I fixed it, but there.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:24:37 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

for what? I'm not being sarcastic ... I'm truly curious what you use that monster for in TN

I want a "large game" rifle for Elk, Moose and bear if I ever go out west or up north. But I had considered a 338 Win mag(had a Tikka and sold it) or 338-06, maybe even a 9.3x62.

large game works fine with a 7mm mag or better. One of my former coworkers took a very nice elk here in CO with his 7mm mag rifle, and I'd hazard to guess that moose and bear will respond similarly.

7mm vs .700

hrmmm..... BIG FREAKING DIFFERENCE
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:31:11 AM EDT
[#14]
You very much need to read "A Gun for a Dinosaur" by L. Sprague deCamp before you try buying one of these......"Employment" is another good story by him concerning big guns and the people who try to take big critters with them.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:33:52 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I want a "large game" rifle for Elk, Moose and bear if I ever go out west or up north. But I had considered a 338 Win mag(had a Tikka and sold it) or 338-06, maybe even a 9.3x62.

large game works fine with a 7mm mag or better. One of my former coworkers took a very nice elk here in CO with his 7mm mag rifle, and I'd hazard to guess that moose and bear will respond similarly.

7mm vs .700

hrmmm..... BIG FREAKING DIFFERENCE

My main hunting rifle now is a 7mm mag, I forgot to mention above that I have considered it enough and might fore-go getting a 338. I have a good load using 175gr bullets in the 7mm.

Down here, I always find myself grabbing the 308 instead of the 7mm mag anyway.

<I guess I will stop hijacking this thread now ... sorry>
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:34:22 AM EDT
[#16]
.700 NE is way too much gun for most shooters. If you want a DG rifle, .416 Rigby would be a more reasonable choice. Even if you want more power than that, I would not go any farther that .577 Tyrannosaur. Have yu not seen the video clips of the skinny little Hadjis shooting the .577 T-rex? It knocks most of them on their ass, and the gun flies out of their hand, and it is not as powerful as .700NE.

For me, the largest caliber that I would care to shoot  often is .300 Win Mag.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:39:34 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I want a "large game" rifle for Elk, Moose and bear if I ever go out west or up north. A 338 Win mag(had a Tikka and sold it) or 338-06, maybe even a 9.3x62. A 416 seems a bit large! you going to Africa?

Africa would be way beyond cool - but if I ever get to go, I doubt it would be for hunting - nevermind that a safari has been a dream of mine since I was a little kid.

But back when I had time to shoot for fun, I enjoyed shooting big stuff - .460 Wby, .378 Wby, .416 Rigby.

I don't think I've shot the .416 in 6 or 7 years - it's just a Ruger #1, nothing fancy.

I'll never forget the first time I shot it - I wasn't expecting it to kick so hard, and the forend came out of my hand when i shot it. Once you get used to it, though, it's not really bad - more of a big push than a sharp jolt. But it's right at my recoil threshhold with factory ammo.

Handloads that go even slightly hotter than factory ammo are more-or-less painful.

Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:46:54 AM EDT
[#18]
There are always a few that feel the you have to justify a firearm purchase.  Kinda bugs me.
If the man wants a 700NE so what. If we have to start providing valid reasons for each gun we own, we ALL have some splainin to do!

Ask the guy in AZ with the Howetzer what he needs that for

BTW, I would love to have a 700NE! VERY COOL GUN!
CH
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:57:55 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What for? Simple. Dangerous things. You know, Moby Dick, dinosaurs, buildings, tanks, asteroids etc etc.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 7:00:21 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1  

Link Posted: 9/13/2005 8:34:17 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

At this point you'd have to be a complete eunuch.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 8:42:49 AM EDT
[#22]
 That guy belongs to my hunting club here in jersey.  We have that pic hanging up on the wall in the club to but without the caption.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 8:46:10 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 8:55:01 AM EDT
[#24]

what's the weapon he's holding?
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 9:32:16 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
usera.imagecave.com/heyheybooboo/fun3rtygh.jpg]usera.imagecave.com/heyheybooboo/fun3rtygh.jpg

what's the weapon he's holding?

I do believe that's a Lahti.  Originally they came in 20mm...but many were converted into .50bmg from what I understand.

We need a pic of a Solothurn in this thread.

Henry Bowman?  You out there?
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 9:39:08 AM EDT
[#26]
I shot a A-Square Hannibal in .577 Tyrannosaur once, and I will never do it again...
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 9:46:48 AM EDT
[#27]
I don't think people own a .416 rigby to shoot it.  They own these guns so they can watch their friends shoot em.  And laugh their asses off.

TXL
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 9:50:07 AM EDT
[#28]
Well TxLewis, I know deep down in my heart that you are right.... But I also know that if someone at the range handed me one I just couldnt help by try it once....

So since I know already whats gonna happen does that still make me gullible
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 10:08:48 AM EDT
[#29]
That rifle would be cool to shoot for a couple of rounds, but after that it would be a mantle piece for sure.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 10:27:21 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I don't think people own a .416 rigby to shoot it.  They own these guns so they can watch their friends shoot em.  And laugh their asses off.

TXL

So true! I loved watching my best friend's skinny little wife shoot my 12 gauge loaded with 3" mag slugs. She just popped one off and decided it was enough. She didn't like my snubbie .44 mag with hot loads much either. Glad I tortured her though... she just left her husband of 20 years and family because she wants to screw around with high school kids. Can you say Mary Kay LeTourneau? She's a teacher too! Maybe I should've told her that the muzzle was the scope!
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 10:31:19 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

TXL

Speaking from experience?  
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 11:10:01 AM EDT
[#32]

There are always a few that feel the you have to justify a firearm purchase. Kinda bugs me.
If the man wants a 700NE so what. If we have to start providing valid reasons for each gun we own, we ALL have some splainin to do!

CH

You know how it goes. Some people around here think that they need to be asked so they can give their approval before someone shows interest in something.
Just some some of you knuckle heads know, I want to speak with someone about it to see they performance,recoil etc, etc.. of this rifle. This rifle intrigues the crap out of me.
And as far as why do I want it, well because I can.
It is TN that I live in not CA.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 11:16:31 AM EDT
[#33]

50 cal is enough for some people.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 11:18:02 AM EDT
[#34]
As soon as i can find a manufacturer of two 4 bore blanks Im on to my next project!
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 11:18:54 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
As soon as i can find a manufacturer of two 4 bore blanks Im on to my next project!

nice, I want one too
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 11:20:51 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

There are always a few that feel the you have to justify a firearm purchase. Kinda bugs me.

CH

You know how it goes. Some people around here think that they need to be asked so they can give their approval before someone shows interest in something.
Just some some of you knuckle heads know, I want to speak with someone about it to see they performance,recoil etc, etc.. of this rifle. This rifle intrigues the crap out of me.
And as far as why do I want it, well because I can.
It is TN that I live in not CA.

As far as I remember...

I read an article about the infamous 700NE awhile ago, and the story goes that some wealthy firearms enthusiast learned of the 600NE and wanted something even more ridiculous just to outdo everyone else.  He contacted Holland and Holland and convinced them to do a custom job for him...and they ended up doing an extremely limited run on the rifle.  I think it was a dozen or less.  Six sticks in my mind.

Lemme see if I can dig it up....
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 11:21:15 AM EDT
[#37]

I would not mind funding said project. Oregon is not that far from me via plane. I have enough frequent flier miles to come visit you for years to come.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 11:24:57 AM EDT
[#38]

As far as I remember...

I read an article about the infamous 700NE awhile ago, and the story goes that some wealthy firearms enthusiast learned of the 600NE and wanted something even more ridiculous just to outdo everyone else. He contacted Holland and Holland and convinced them to do a custom job for him...and they ended up doing an extremely limited run on the rifle. I think it was a dozen or less. Six sticks in my mind.

Lemme see if I can dig it up....

I saw where this heppend in my recent searches. I know there has to be someone somewhere that has one. I want to talk Fat_McNasty into doing a Arfcom project rifle. It has been done off of a 50 BMG plaform as a bolt gun.
700 NE
It is f'in awesome.
You have to love a round that can be sholder fired with a 1000 grain bullet driven by 255 grains of powder.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 11:26:46 AM EDT
[#39]
Well, here's a tidbit anyway...

www.gunsandammomag.com/gun_columns/cooper/0507/

Shooting Master John Gannaway introduced us to the .700 Nitro Express recently. This cartridge, developed by Holland & Holland of England, is said to be the brainchild of the factory staff in response to the opinion of a customer who once said that the reason he packed a .600 when hunting elephant was simply that "They don't make a .700." Well, now they do. The .700 Nitro starts a .70-caliber, 1,000-grain bullet at 2,000 fps. The custom-made single-shot piece has a falling-block action, and at 16 pounds per unit, it is presumably best used in pairs since a double for this round would be too cumbersome to pack afield.

When we raise the ubiquitous query about what it is for, we do not get a convincing answer. "To have and to hold" is probably the best attempt, but that is true of a whole regiment of small-arms offerings.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 11:28:20 AM EDT
[#40]
Zippy_The_Wonderdog, check out my link aded to my last post.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 11:29:32 AM EDT
[#41]

700NE would be a fun one to have.

I really want a 470 NE double rifle.  But the 10K keeps slowing me down a bit.

I really like my 416 Rigby.  It is the Ruger Safari, a bolt gun, and is really nice for a production rifle.  The quarter rib is machined integral to the barrel and the wood is a pleasant, straight grained walnut.  I picked up it up for less than $1000 and it was LNIB.

I want to work up some light loads with 350gr Speer softs and take a deer with it this year!!!

Good luck on the 700NE.

Link Posted: 9/13/2005 11:32:21 AM EDT
[#42]
I will say this though...you know you are a Mr. FancyPants when you look at the ready availabilty of .50bmg arms to choose from...and think to yourself...

"Self, that just isn't enough..."

Link Posted: 9/13/2005 11:33:20 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
You have to love a round that can be sholder fired with a 1000 grain bullet driven by 255 grains of powder.

That makes my 410gr Woodleighs with 100gr of powder look downright weak!!!
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 11:34:57 AM EDT
[#44]

I will say this though...you know you are a Mr. FancyPants when you look at the ready availabilty of .50bmg arms to choose from...and think to yourself...

I was alway taught, "NEVER SETTLE JUST FOR WHATS AVAILABLE, ALWAYS WANT WHAT IS NOT".
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 11:38:24 AM EDT
[#45]
The story behind the .700 NE is...

H&H only produced so many guns in the Large calibers. (I.E. .600 NE) A rich Dr aproched H&H to make a .600 NE for him. They said that they could not. They have ran there limit. But... We could make a .700 NE for ya..

So the .700 NE was born!

Tesnevo. If your serious.. Lets talk....

Link Posted: 9/13/2005 11:42:40 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

I was alway taught, "NEVER SETTLE JUST FOR WHATS AVAILABLE, ALWAYS WANT WHAT IS NOT".

Well, if you want one, here you go.  You seem to act as though you have the means for such a purchase.

I present to you a Holland & Holland Double, apparently available.  Who knows how long the lead time is.

www.hollandandholland.com/~newyork/newguns/royal-double-rifle.htm

By today's FX rates, it would cost roughly US$227,824.87.

So there you go.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 11:46:47 AM EDT
[#47]
Let's see, a 1000gr bullet going at 2000fps, propelled by 255gr of powder, out of a 16lb rifle, works out to 202 lbs of free recoil!!!

By comparison, a typical .308 out of an 8lb rifle will produce 15 lb of free recoil.

I think I'll pass...
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 11:48:33 AM EDT
[#48]

Let's see, a 1000gr bullet going at 2000fps, propelled by 255gr of powder, out of a 16lb rifle, works out to 202 lbs of free recoil!!!

By comparison, a typical .308 out of an 8lb rifle will produce 15 lb of free recoil.

I think I'll pass...

BULLSHIT! You would shoot it just like the rest of us just to say you shot it.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 11:55:53 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

I think I'll pass...

BULLSHIT! You would shoot it just like the rest of us just to say you shot it.

True! I hear prosthetic shoulders are fairly good these days.
OK, I would fire the thing once, just to say I did, then go back to plinking soda cans with a .416 RM
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 11:58:08 AM EDT
[#50]
OR...if you don't quite have the means for such a Phallus (Advertising...NOT Compensating!!!!) of a firearm, there IS this little number which has always caught my eye...

Pedersoli Kodiak Express Double Rifle 72 Caliber

Quite a bit more affordable for us commonfolk....and OOOOOhhh...lookee...she's on sale.

Temptation...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top