Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2004 7:50:41 PM EDT
I saw an interesting PBS documentry on Operation Wetback from the 1950's.  I saw this and was shocked at how our border was actually at one time actually protected.  Anyone remember this time period?  and what caused the shift away from secure borders to where we are now?  
BTW lets please keep this thread free from the usual racist poo.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:52:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Mexicans are not a Race, they are a Nationality.

"Racist Poo" is merely Nationalistic Pride.

And no I dont remember the Op.

But I've been down on the Border and witnessed firsthand, the civilians doing whatever they can, knowing that Tonk-loving Sheriffs want to find a reason to arrest them...being shadowed by the FBI lest they "violate someone's rights".

...completely overwhelmed BP agents who LOVE what they do, but are hamstrung by politically aspirant Station Chiefs and A-Chiefs who are either Hispanic themselves, or so stinking PC, they undermine their own Patrol Agents.

...a beautiful area of AZ, completely trashed by invaders with no regard for their own safety, the safety of children they drag along, or the beauty of an incredible area of the country.

D.
AZEX
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:52:59 PM EDT
[#2]
I had never heard of it.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:13:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Let's just say I'm old enough to remember it being "recent history."

More info here: www.tsha.utexas.edu/handbook/online/articles/view/OO/pqo1.html
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:31:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Pinchi mojados
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 11:52:10 PM EDT
[#5]
I would love for them (BP) to try it again, I would put a stop to it with my AR or I would try to stop it.  When Operation Wetback was implemented hundreds if not thousands of legal immigrants were deported too.  

Aztlan  
MLAhug.gif
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 11:55:41 PM EDT
[#6]

Aztlan

Link Posted: 9/9/2004 12:12:55 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I would love for them (BP) to try it again, I would put a stop to it with my AR or I would try to stop it.  When Operation Wetback was implemented hundreds if not thousands of legal immigrants were deported too.  

Aztlan  
MLA

No you wouldn't, but maybe you would die trying.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 12:29:55 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Aztlan  
MLA

I'm a first generation Mexican-America, and I used to think, much like you probably do, that it wasn't much of a big deal in having illegal Mexicans coming over.  Yes, most of those people are hard workers, like my father, but, you know, not all of them are good people.  So, now that I'm a little older and wiser, I've come to realize that the US needs to protect its border from undesirables.  Now, don't get me wrong, a part of me does feel bad for some of these people because they are just looking for work, but, c'mon, I don't think it's cool for them just to come over without having the right paperwork or whatnot.  I think the US and Mexico need to set up some kind of program that'll let a certain amount of people find work here, but then return when it's done.  The Bracero program comes to mind, but for some reason there is a lot of opposition to it.  

This is a tough one for 1st generation Mexican-Americans, because they can identify with the struggles of the illegals trying to come across, but they gotta take into consideration that it's also important to limit the amount of undocumented people that are trying to come across.  But, to tell you the truth, as long as Mexican nationals continue to provide cheap labor for agriculture I don't think the U.S. is really gonna try and stop the flow of illegal immigrants.  Heck, you should see the percentage of DAIRY WORKERS that are Mexican.  A lot of them don't get paid much and don't receive much in the way of benefits. But, I digress.

Aztlan, you're in America and it wouldn't be the same if it was still Aztlan.  I sure as hell don't want it to be like Mexico.  I enjoy the rightst that I have here and the opportunity to make as much dinero as I want by working hard.  Oh yeah, I also like the fact that I can own weapons, too!

Edited to add:  IIRC, you are right that a lot of legal immigrants were deported, but Mexicans haven't been the only people to get jacked by the government.  Unfortunately, crap like that happens.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 12:31:25 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Aztlan  
MLA

Sure you would hermanito.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top