Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/25/2006 10:16:26 PM EDT
Specifically about the maint and yearly trimming/pruning?
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 10:33:38 PM EDT
[#1]
You trim them back to two active growth buds, it's really harder to explain than to do. If you've got a grape and it's running rampant you'll need to hack it back significantly, but you'll never make it right. Cut off about half of its sprouts every year until you're down to two to four tips is the best you can do.

There's a reason they're called vines and not shrubs, if it's been pruned badly, or not pruned at all, it tends to start looking rather shrublike...

It's late to be pruning now, sap is up.

Link Posted: 3/25/2006 10:36:23 PM EDT
[#2]
my parents house in NYC had a grape vine in the backyard and I don't remember them ever doing a thing to it. Yielded plenty of fruit too.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 10:39:09 PM EDT
[#3]
We planted it last year and it has three main vines that are 3 to 4 foot long and each of those have a few little new vines sprouting off of them. Do you cut off all the small sprouts?
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 10:53:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:21:52 AM EDT
[#5]
What are canes and what are vines?
We have a small thick base that I would call a trunk that is only a few inches tall and then we have 3 long things I would call vines coming out of the sides of the trunk.
We have tied these off to the rope line 6 foot off the ground.
The vines dont reach the line so we have support lines of para cord going down from the big line to the vines to hold them up trying to train them to go up where we want them to eventually be.
So next year do we cut the vines that come off of these vines off except for the few we want to be growing grapes or are these three vines we already have going to be growing grapes? Is the vines we have going to be the "base" or trunk of the plant and then the fruit bearing vines will grow off of them and then once they bear fruit then that fall we cut those vines off?
My wife thanks you all for all the help.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top