Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/16/2005 9:43:58 PM EDT
I have a very nice job offer from an old highschool friend in this field. He seems very happy owning his own franchise in this field, and I know he makes well over 150k a year. He is also only 24. He does primarily new home loans and some business loans. I know that the home sales sector is still doing very well, but I am just curious about the long term.. How do you like working in this field? I would be working out of my home, so no commute seem very nice. What do you all think? Should I go for it and see what happens?
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 9:48:40 PM EDT
[#1]
The mortage business is tough.  I know a lot of guys who have tried it.  Not many last.  

Would you be walking away from a good paying job that you like?  If not, try it and see.  The worst that will happen is a few wasted weeks of your life.  Your friend is not bullshiting you about the money.  100k+ is very acheivable in sales.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 9:50:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I am barely making any money right now, so I really have nothing to lose. I have known him for about 15 years, and he said I would be very good. I guess I will see...
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 10:13:48 PM EDT
[#3]
If you are a pro pilot, or wish to be one, you owe it to yourself to explore any and all alternate forms of employment.

There are thousands of AMR,UAL,DAL pilots that became realestate agents, and mortgage brokers after 9-11.

It always pays to learn a new trade, and that is true no matter what you do.  

I work in the industry (sort of)  and I can tell you this.  Home sales are still booming like never before, even if refi's are down.  Mortgages are a very competitive business, but there is a need for people who can put together complex financial packages and get the deals done.

At worst, you will learn knowledge that will help you with your own investments later.  Do it!
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 10:18:26 PM EDT
[#4]
I did for a month.  Cold calling is not fun.  As long as you aren't doing that, I say go for it.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 10:19:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Yea, I am an aspiring pro pilot. I instruct, but make dick doing it. My father, an AA pilot, is really pushing me to try something else, and make flying more of a hobby or a part time job. Maybe this is the oppurtunity I need.

EDIT for above post, no cold calling.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 10:44:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Dear ole Dad may well be right.  On the other hand, many people will try to steer you away from flying.  The ones that really can hurt you are the ones you look up to.  The head flight instructor at one FBO I worked at was the Warden at a large jail.  He wanted to help get me a job as a 60 thousand a year guard, instead of a 10,000 a year CFI.  I stuck with the flying, and 15 years later, I'm getting paid well and don't have to worry about getting shanked.

Flying for a living ruins you for other work.  You are probably already ruined.  If you can stand to do another job that pays well, then do it.  If not, then tell Dad to stop dispensing advice and start calling his connections.

I tried the AA thing, and was not impressed.  The jobs like your Dad's are not coming back, and he knows it.

However, there are more jobs now then ever before, and more opportunities for pilots who want to fly good equipment, and make an upper-middleclass salary.  60-100,000 per year.  As I like to say. "It's better then digging ditches"

Joke for dad:    What's Black, 12" long and hangs in front of an Asshole?

- The Captains Tie.  

(he's heard that one a few times- an oldie, but goodie)

How many pilots does it take to change a lightbulb?  

One.  He holds the lightbulb, and the world turns around him.    
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 10:48:23 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I have a very nice job offer from an old highschool friend in this field. He seems very happy owning his own franchise in this field, and I know he makes well over 150k a year. He is also only 24. He does primarily new home loans and some business loans. I know that the home sales sector is still doing very well, but I am just curious about the long term.. How do you like working in this field? I would be working out of my home, so no commute seem very nice. What do you all think? Should I go for it and see what happens?

im not specifically in that business , but i can tell ya right now from my knowlege of finance etc that when interest reates go up at least half of the people will be out of jobs.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 6:37:58 AM EDT
[#8]
btt
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 6:43:56 AM EDT
[#9]
it is great. I doubled my income the first year, tripled it the second and third year and last year I made 10 times what I was as a union machinist. No bullshit. You must have drive and remember it has NOTHING TO DO WITH INTEREST RATES! Really! Read "rich dad, poor dad" I teach my clients to be investors like me. I own 13 properties now and recently I bought an $8,000 semi M2hb for my own Christmas present. God has blessed me! Good luck! IM me for info and we can chat.

47 the aquabumper
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 9:48:04 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
it is great. I doubled my income the first year, tripled it the second and third year and last year I made 10 times what I was as a union machinist. No bullshit. You must have drive and remember it has NOTHING TO DO WITH INTEREST RATES! Really! Read "rich dad, poor dad" I teach my clients to be investors like me. I own 13 properties now and recently I bought an $8,000 semi M2hb for my own Christmas present. God has blessed me! Good luck! IM me for info and we can chat.

47 the aquabumper

Ok. I did read that book, and its great. I am going to go for it, the industry up here is great.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top