Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/10/2014 6:01:35 AM EDT
Every so often the mag pops out of my CW45 while it is in it's holster.

Anyone here have issues with something like this?

UPDATE:  I think I figured out what is going on. I raised the belt loops so that it would sit about an inch lower in my waist line and my belt now crosses the weapon at a poing where if I sit down, it presses the mag release against my hipbone. Gonna raise it back to normal and see
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 6:04:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

View Quote

I pocket carry a keltec. In the last 7 years, I've noticed my magazine was out maybe 5 times.
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 6:06:00 AM EDT
[#2]
I think your pistol is trying to tell you to get a different holster.

ETA: That should NEVER happen.  

Link Posted: 3/10/2014 6:06:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote

What holster are you using?
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 6:08:10 AM EDT
[#4]
revolver
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 6:08:17 AM EDT
[#5]
My SW 39-2 in a cheapie nylon holster used to do that a lot.  My P01 in a Crossbreed Supertuck never has.

The Smith was a real problem since it had a mag disconnect.  I was constantly checking to make sure it was fully seated.
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 6:09:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Never. (M&P 9c in a Crossbreed Supertuck)
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 6:11:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Never, but I don't use shit holsters.
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 6:11:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Never

G19 in a Galco Kingtuk.
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 6:18:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Once or twice over the years. If it happens twice the holster either gets replaced or modified for clearance depending on cost/availability of replacement.
Same with finding safety off, either modify leather for Clearance or replace safety/plunger spring.
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 6:22:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Never with any of my guns. All use a Foxx hybrid (Crossbreed supertuck clone) or a Comp-Tac M-TAC.
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 6:22:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Never.

Redact my never to "Never since replacing hybrid leather/kydex holsters with all kydex holsters."  It would happen occasionally with my TRP in an MTAC.  I only carry in C-TACs and Infidels now, and it's never happened with them.
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 6:23:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Get a gun with a Euro style heel release?
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 6:25:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Truth spoken here.
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 6:32:05 AM EDT
[#14]
I had that problem with my M&P45 fullsize in a Crossbreed Super Tuck. My issue is that the mag release button was right on the inside against the leather on my hip and would get pushed in at times if I sat down or leaned on a seat etc pushing the button in.

I marked the area on the leather where the mag release button rested, took a 60d nail, dampened the leather slightly, placed the nail HEAD on the leather and drove it on the leather with a hammer to the point (so upside down basically). It created a perfect circular recessed area and I haven't had it happen since. That was probably 3 years ago or more now. Good to Go.
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 6:35:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Does this happen when seated? I had this issue with several of my CCW pieces, but only when driving/in a sitting position. 2 things helped: a) a better holster and b) putting the holster in a place (approx. 4 o'clock position) where my hip bone doesn't depress the mag disconnect.
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 6:36:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yep!  It happened to me once when I adjusted my CTAC IWB to ride lower and the top of my belt could depress the mag release.  I ended up having a new holster made that shielded the mag release with a little bonus kydex "wing" or nub.
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 6:38:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I pocket carry a keltec. In the last 7 years, I've noticed my magazine was out maybe 0 times.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I pocket carry a keltec. In the last 7 years, I've noticed my magazine was out maybe 0 times.

fixed for me
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 6:38:54 AM EDT
[#18]
baby glock 26 with comtac holster IWB the mag woks its way out about once in a year.
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 6:41:25 AM EDT
[#19]
For some reason it has happened with two  guns in quality holsters. I use crossbreed super tucks and  my 1911 and glock19  both had mags pop out every time I wore them. I called crossbreed and they said to find spot release touches holster, wet that area and press it in with a tool. I used a piece of dowel rod.

Problem solved.

I am guessing it was due to me having very little body fat, being all lean muscle and my hip bones are right under my skin.

Most of you guys have a good amount of padding around your midsection.
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 6:41:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 3/10/2014 6:42:39 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Exactly this.

Link Posted: 3/10/2014 6:43:39 AM EDT
[#22]
Never happened to me.  Even when I carry my 1911 in a cheap Galco IWB holster.
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 6:46:17 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 6:47:26 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

Holster problem. It's depressing the magazine release.

Either get a new holster or cheer up the mag release.
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 6:49:46 AM EDT
[#25]
No, I don't have that issue because of that stupid mag release HK uses.
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 6:50:08 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not necessarily a shit holster (though probable).

I've seen several cases of this with Glocks @ IDPA events.  That big Gen4 release can cause it to happen.  Best one was when a really good shooter started a stage with the gun on a table.  He depressed the release as he snatched it up and the mag went flying.  The penalty cost him the match.
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 6:52:49 AM EDT
[#27]
Used to happen to me when I molded the kydex over the mag release.

Since making a little cut out around the release it hasn't happened.
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 6:53:23 AM EDT
[#28]
NEVER.

G26 or G19 in a Comptac MTAC
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 6:53:56 AM EDT
[#29]
My S&W BG380 does that if I have it in my back pocket.
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 6:55:19 AM EDT
[#30]
The magazine occasionally pops out of my pocket carried Kel-Tec, but it's only a backup gun.  No issues with any others.  You probably need a new holster as the one you have is depressing the magazine release.  Alternatively you could try a stiffer magazine release spring, or shrink the release a bit.  You could also try carrying something with a heel release, but the holster is probably your issue.
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 6:57:07 AM EDT
[#31]
When I pocket carried a Kel-Tec P32 in an Uncle Mike's holster in my left, front pocket, I would occasionally find the mag had released. That's one of many reasons I stopped carrying that gun and holster combo.
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 6:58:48 AM EDT
[#32]
A quality holster choice is as an important as picking the right gun.
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 7:02:29 AM EDT
[#33]
Update in OP
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 7:11:00 AM EDT
[#34]
Never.

Ruger SR40c in an Old Faithful hybrid IWB holster.
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 7:21:12 AM EDT
[#35]
Never. I don't need an expensive holster, either. I'm at a loss that anyone seems to think that this is okay.

Quoted:
Once or twice over the years. If it happens twice the holster either gets replaced or modified for clearance depending on cost/availability of replacement.
Same with finding safety off, either modify leather for Clearance or replace safety/plunger spring.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/10/2014 7:26:21 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Never. I don't need an expensive holster, either. I'm at a loss that anyone seems to think that this is okay.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Not this gun just in general.
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 8:24:01 AM EDT
[#37]
My 92F pops mags when driving, in an IWB Crossbreed at 5:00.
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 8:33:34 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

UPDATE:  I think I figured out what is going on. I raised the belt loops so that it would sit about an inch lower in my waist line and my belt now crosses the weapon at a poing where if I sit down, it presses the mag release against my hipbone. Gonna raise it back to normal and see
View Quote

Get a better holster.
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 9:18:03 AM EDT
[#39]
Had that issue with my p228 while carrying in a crossbreed super Tuck.   Since switching it to the MTAC I haven't had a single issue
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 9:59:22 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
No, I don't have that issue because of that stupid mag release HK uses.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/10/2014 3:29:22 PM EDT
[#41]
I moved it to 3:30- 4:00 and the issue stopped. Wearing it at 5:00 and it popped every time I sat down
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top