Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/18/2017 11:06:08 AM EDT
I'm interested in trying one how do you like yours? Any pics of your build?

I think I want a side charging 7.62x39 rifle...
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 11:09:24 AM EDT
[#1]
I've got one in 300blk. From palmeto. I been here for years and still don't know how to post pics.

I havnt noticed anything special about it.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 11:28:41 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a JP PSC-11 that is a gem to shoot. It took all of 5 seconds to fall in love with the side charging system. It's faster, smoother and natural operation is unbelievable compared to the standard forward assist. Warning, it does cost more but once you've used it you won't care.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 11:30:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 11:32:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 12:00:12 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a Noreen BN-36. Does that count?Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 12:01:28 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a Gibbz on my 9mm Colt AR pistol:

Very nice and seals the back end up nicely.

Thirtycal
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 12:02:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Side Charging AR?

Link Posted: 2/18/2017 12:03:41 PM EDT
[#8]
I am also interested...
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 12:03:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote

For when they want to eliminate the best thing about an AR15 - not being exposed to the elements.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 12:06:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

For when they want to eliminate the best thing about an AR15 - not being exposed to the elements.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Do you have any experience with JP's side charger?  Your comment suggests you do not.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 12:07:52 PM EDT
[#11]
I've wanted one to build a LMG upper for my M16, just been on the back burner the last couple of years.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 12:24:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Do you have any experience with JP's side charger?  Your comment suggests you do not.
View Quote

It's a good system, probably the best of it's type - but you're still starting to subvert the sealed receiver. The ones with the huge AK style cutouts make me cringe when I think about mud and bolt slowdown
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 12:32:24 PM EDT
[#13]
View Quote

Being a FAL guy and right handed I like being able to keep the weapon in my right hand and just reach over and rack it with my left [ETA which is what you can do with an AR so why screw with a working system]. Not sure I buy into a right-side charger. On the other hand, I dont like the FAL charger knob poking my solar plexus when tightly cinched up. Pros and Cons. Saive vs Stoner...
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 12:32:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

It's a good system, probably the best of it's type - but you're still starting to subvert the sealed receiver. The ones with the huge AK style cutouts make me cringe when I think about mud and bolt slowdown
View Quote

I get what you're saying, but I think it's an overblown issue. I've Opr8d fairly hard in my time, and I've never once had my weapon caked in mud or dirt where a side charger would cause a problem.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 12:44:03 PM EDT
[#15]
a left side charge with a standard dust cover would be optimal. The only left side chargers I've seen lack this though
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 12:49:24 PM EDT
[#16]
I have an NFA side-charger.

Really like it.

Link Posted: 2/18/2017 12:50:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't disagree with your latter point.  I guess we might be splitting hairs, but the JP system eliminates any blowback, is nonreciprocating, and is fully enclosed with sand cuts.  I don't see how it significantly alters the reliability of the system.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 12:52:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
a left side charge with a standard dust cover would be optimal. The only left side chargers I've seen lack this though
View Quote

JP has you covered.

ETA:  Assuming you mean a right side standard dust cover
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 12:54:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

JP has you covered.
View Quote

You're the man!

They are quite pricey tho
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 12:56:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Gibbz and X products make one.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 12:56:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Yup.  From Spikes years ago.  Cool blue/purple anodized.  It's OK.  Nothing that special, just wanted something different.  Left side and I think dust cover if I recall.  Probably haven't dragged it out in 10 years..
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 1:00:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

How many people actually get their guns that filthy though?

It's not like the average person is going into battle. I've managed to sink a shotgun in a swamp while duck hunting, it had a lot of mud inside it, but I washed it out and it still worked, and even that case was extreme for the average person.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 1:05:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

You're the man!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

JP has you covered.

You're the man!

Very true.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 1:05:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I get what you're saying, but I think it's an overblown issue. I've Opr8d fairly hard in my time, and I've never once had my weapon caked in mud or dirt where a side charger would cause a problem.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Never had problems with FAL, Thompson, M1A, SCAR, Bren, ARX160, AK, Galil, MP5, Tavor or any of a dozen other side chargers. And that includes taking a tumble downhill, rolling ass-over-teakettle for a good 10 or 12 yards through mud with the FAL.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 1:13:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Very true.
View Quote

The spartan is almost $700 cheaper but... No dust cover
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 1:16:22 PM EDT
[#27]
The ASA side charger has a dust cover and a deflector. It's legit.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 1:17:00 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm doing a 45ACP SBR build and going to do a side charger.

Waiting for QC10 to release theirs. The others on the market such as x products all look like the same upper just with different branding. Prices are outrageous but I guess it's niche and takes up machine time.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 1:20:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very true.

Buy once, cry once.  At least with JP, you KNOW it will work.  And work very well.  Whatever value that is worth is up to each of us.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 1:21:30 PM EDT
[#30]
After Bradders did that thread showing how he builds AR uppers as straight pull bolt actions, I've thought that would be a fun project to try.

I've got one of the DPMS slick side (or whatever they call it) upper receivers laying around, that would probably perfect for that (just mill a slot for the new charging handle).  Main problem would be making the charging handle and getting it properly angled.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 1:33:55 PM EDT
[#31]
View Quote

In 7.62x39...... hummm an Ak would be a lot more reliable and affordable option
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 1:36:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 1:52:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Side chargers are not milspec, YOU GONNA DIE !
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 1:59:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 2:12:14 PM EDT
[#35]
6.5 Grendel

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 2:16:16 PM EDT
[#36]
JP LRP-07

The charging handle is a little gimmicky, but it works fine.
More importantly, it's an accurate rifle.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 2:23:34 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Alexander Arms?
View Quote

Mega Arms with a Young Manufacturing bcg.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 2:30:14 PM EDT
[#38]
No reason for me to build a rifle with a huge port to let dirt and crap into it.  I have never felt handicapped by rifles that keep dirt out.

The chaucat (sp) machine gun of WW1 was a dismal failure because it's open magazines allowed too much dirt and crap into the system.  Same theory applies to side charging AR's, unless someone has come up with a way to keep the raceways for the charging handle sealed against incoming debris.  However, for a rifle that is only intended for a safe queen, plinking, or only shooting from benches, or other non-critical applications, I suppose it might not be a big deal to those folks.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 2:37:00 PM EDT
[#39]
I have a New Frontier Armory side charging upper for my 9mm pistol AR. I got it mainly for the lrbho function. Having the charging handle on the left is nice, not sure I'd like it if it was in the right.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 2:41:38 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
After Bradders did that thread showing how he builds AR uppers as straight pull bolt actions, I've thought that would be a fun project to try.

I've got one of the DPMS slick side (or whatever they call it) upper receivers laying around, that would probably perfect for that (just mill a slot for the new charging handle).  Main problem would be making the charging handle and getting it properly angled.
View Quote

You and I are on the same page. I want a straight-pull, bolt action sbr, in 9mm or 45.
I think it would be stupid quiet and perfect for backyard pests.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 2:53:59 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
No reason for me to build a rifle with a huge port to let dirt and crap into it.  I have never felt handicapped by rifles that keep dirt out.

The chaucat (sp) machine gun of WW1 was a dismal failure because it's open magazines allowed too much dirt and crap into the system.  Same theory applies to side charging AR's, unless someone has come up with a way to keep the raceways for the charging handle sealed against incoming debris.~
View Quote

You mean like this ?

Link Posted: 2/18/2017 2:58:58 PM EDT
[#42]

NOT BAD!!!  Now that I could live with.  Yeah, who makes that?
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 3:01:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Gibbz arms
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 3:02:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I have a Gibbz on my 9mm Colt AR pistol:
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x21/clutterbugg/9MM%20AR/glamour1_small_zpsjawse1gf.jpg
Very nice and seals the back end up nicely.

Thirtycal
View Quote

I have the strangest boner right now.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 3:10:57 PM EDT
[#45]
Gibbz Arms has new upper with Forward Assist & Dust cover.

Gibbz Arms MG4 Upper
Due to popular demand, we have developed a full mil-spec version of our side-charging upper. It's got all you need in a AR, like a forward assist, dust cover, 7075 alloy, and the most awesomely innovative side-charge tech ever!!
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 3:13:10 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
JP LRP-07

The charging handle is a little gimmicky, but it works fine.
More importantly, it's an accurate rifle.
View Quote

All gimmick.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 3:16:32 PM EDT
[#47]
My 556XI is side charging with the ability to move the handle to left or right side. Still waiting for my form 1 to come back so I can cut the barrel down, should be a nice compact package with the side folding stock.. No issues with mine, plenty of rounds down range.

They're available in 7.62x39, looks like grabagun has them at a decent price.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 3:19:37 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
My 556XI is side charging with the ability to move the handle to left or right side. Still waiting for my form 1 to come back so I can cut the barrel down, should be a nice compact package with the side folding stock.. No issues with mine, plenty of rounds down range.

They're available in 7.62x39, looks like grabagun has them at a decent price.
View Quote

Well thing is I have a complete AR lower I don't know what to do with and already have enough "regular" AR's so looking for something different.

I'm also looking at 6.5 Grendel.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 3:19:43 PM EDT
[#49]
I bought two BCA Side Charging Uppers in the EE a couple of months ago.  Haven't done anything with them yet though.

I do have an XCR-L and XCR-M though if those count.  

Link Posted: 2/18/2017 3:25:29 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

If one there was a couple hot links posted on this 1 page thread....
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top