Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/26/2005 2:31:53 AM EDT
I have some recurring pain the last few months with the base joint in my big toe. Hurt a lot but generally went away in a week. Then I started to get pain (same leg) in the heal. Docs told me it was bursitus. To be fair that was my self diagnosis.

Saturady I wake up and my ankle hurts so bad I can't even walk. I've been in excrutiating pain. Last night about 1:00AM I had the thought it may be gout. Looked it up and sure enough I have the symptoms.

Here arew the Q's:

Should I ride it out or go to the Dr.?

What kind of Dr.?

What do you do for the pain?

How are you preventing it from reoccurance?

Thank-you......very much in pain...Bomber
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 2:36:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/26/2005 2:41:05 AM EDT by MatterhornMonkey]
Can you get Voltaren in the USA? That helps ALOT!

Just found it: Link
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 2:39:18 AM EDT
A friend of mine says that NOT eating fried foods or red meat helps the most, sorry
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 2:42:27 AM EDT
Here's the rub. I'm in pretty good shape 6' 195lbs proportional. I don't eat fried foods but I do love my red meat.

I cannot believe the pain with this.

Bomber
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 2:44:44 AM EDT

Originally Posted By MatterhornMonkey:
Can you get Voltaren in the USA? That helps ALOT!

Just found it: Link

I'm going to see if I can get it locally....thanks!

Bomber
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 2:49:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/26/2005 2:59:05 AM EDT by zeekh]
A friend of mine swears that eating cherries helps his gout. Don't know if it really works. My brother gets it also. From what I hear it hurts like crazy. I would go to the doc

Edited to fix spelling of cherries I'd be really embrassed if I spelled it wrong again
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 2:54:03 AM EDT
Yes, I've had in both toe joint and in my right ankle but not my heel. My general practioner perscribed Vicodin and Ibuprofen for the pain. I don't recall what the name of the medication he perscribed to reduce the Uric Acid.

Reduce your intake of salt, red meat, shell fish and beer.

Increase your consumption of water, fruit(especially cherries) and vegetables.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 3:28:26 AM EDT

Originally Posted By zeekh:
A friend of mine swears that eating cherries helps his gout. Don't know if it really works. My brother gets it also. From what I hear it hurts like crazy. I would go to the doc

Edited to fix spelling of cherries I'd be really embrassed if I spelled it wrong again

Go to a health food store and get non-homoginized, non-pastuerized, Black Cherry juice. It will amaze you how quick it works and how if you drink a glass daily, it will keep the symptoms in check. Doctors tend to give alot of meds that don't really help with gout.

I used to hunt at a farm of a family friend. On one visit, I noticed him hobbling around. When I found out what the problem was, I brought him a bottle of Black Cherry juice. He called me the next day and told me that it was the first full night of sleep that he had experienced in years. He still drinks an 8 ounce glass every day.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 3:35:44 AM EDT
I feel your pain. I am taking a trip to the Rheumatologist tomorrow. Every single joint in my body aches. Sucks ass.

BTW do you eat lots of meat or drink a lot of alcohol? The combination of the two can cause gout.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 3:38:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/26/2005 3:40:50 AM EDT by zanthope]
Go to the doc & get a prescription for Colchicine - it will give you the screaming shits for a day or so, but it knocks out the gout within 24 hrs.

Lay off all the above mentioned foods, but especially heavy dairy, shellfish, and organ meats (livers, hearts, etc)

Start working out.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 3:45:31 AM EDT
I've had it bad before. Get a blood test from yourt doc to be sure. Uric acid crystalizes in your lower joints.

Hurts bad, like a real bad sprained ankle.

Not much makes it stop. Indomethicin for swelling and pain, sometime vicodin.

When it stops get allopurinol from your doc. I take 300 mgs every day, and haven't had a flare up in 5 years.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 4:10:35 AM EDT

Originally Posted By zanthope:
Go to the doc & get a prescription for Colchicine - it will give you the screaming shits for a day or so, but it knocks out the gout within 24 hrs.

Lay off all the above mentioned foods, but especially heavy dairy, shellfish, and organ meats (livers, hearts, etc)

Start working out.

Thanks for the input and sorry if this sounds defensive, but I am in good shape and eat a reasonable diet. I will admit to the red meat and alcohol. I don't drink during the week at all but I do drink on the weekends. I never drink to the point of being drunk. May be some heredity going on here as well. My brither gets attacks.

Great input all....thanks!

What kind of Dr. is best to treat this. GP, Ortho, Rheumatologist, Internal?

Thanks

Bomber
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 4:20:32 AM EDT
Good advice from all of the above. I took allopurinol for about six months and haven't had to take it since. I have also had Colchicine for an occasional flareup. The cherry juice works good too.

Go see your GP and he can take care of it. I have also heard stress can also influence flareups.

Watching what you eat is the number one way to prevent it. I can eat beef liver and can guarantee an attack the next day.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 4:40:58 AM EDT
Do you eat a lot of poultry? That will make it flare up. Gall stones sometimes cause gout, before you even know there are gall stones.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 4:54:51 AM EDT
I suffered with gout for over 3 years. I would go to the doctor when the pain was unbearable and he would say it's an old foot injury I had acting up, back and forth back and forth. About a year ago my doctor retired and I went in for a physical with my new one. He said heya, do you have pain in your foot normally in the morning? Yes I do sometimes, hmmmmm your chart shows you have high Uric (sp) acid levels. lets try allopurinol. After about two weeks, no more attacks, and no more foot swelling. Gout is caused by uric acid crystals in the blood that collect in the joints of lower extremities. One of the actual worse foods to eat is peas as it has alot of pyrines, which turn into uric acid. Go get your Uric acid levels checked.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:14:17 AM EDT

guy i worked with for years had it.

easily controlled with propper diet.

that is all i know.

Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:17:33 AM EDT
Along with all the other foods mentioned stay away from peanuts.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:20:39 AM EDT
I was diagnosed with gout at the ER last sunday.
Had no problems prior, and woke up with excruciating pain in my right big toe..

GP says I'm too young... 36, not in the greatest shape (PC potato 5+years - 6' 210 flabby)...

He thinks it's pseudo-gout. Same symptoms, but is caused by calcium pyrophosphate crystals instead of uric acids.

I just called in for results of my blood tests this morning, and they said uric acid levels were fine... checked for a couple other things, but the nurse said she didn't see calcium pyrophosphate listed.....

Still hurts, but I can get around, slowly.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:54:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/26/2005 5:56:46 AM EDT by raven]
I got it for the first time about 6 months ago. Two months before the attack, I broke my right big toe. Then my OTHER big toe started hurting as much or worse, but for no reason. I couldn't figure out how my toe could hurt so damn much when I hadn't broken or sprained it in any way. Looked up the symptoms on the internet, and came up with gout. I had been eating very little for a week, and I read that can bring on an attack.

It SUCKED. I couldn't sleep, the pain was so bad. I figured it was the result of beer consumption catching up to me (even though I hadn't had any to drink for about a month). I endured for another week, then said "Fuck it" and got really drunk on beer. The pain completely evaporated.

About a month ago, I got another attack after laying off beer for a few weeks, except this time it was in my foot and it swelled up like it was broken or something. Like with the first attack, drinking a half rack made it go away. I guess it's a sort of beer withdrawal syndrome. I don't eat the purine-rich foods that are supposedly the cause of gout, and I drink at least a gallon of water a day, even before the gout came on.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:56:54 AM EDT
Tagged.

I suffer from gout also, it's reoccurring and usually attacks my ankle.
It's quite painful, my ankle feels like glass when it occurs.

Amazing what the body does when you reach, or approach forty something.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:02:57 AM EDT
Believe it or not I had gout in my right foot when I was about 6 years old. I don't remember a lot about it other than it hurt really bad and was either swollen or stiff. I think it might have been a little red or blue looking.

Doctory said it was the darndest thing and that maybe I shouldn't eat so many hamburgers.

I think it went away after a week or two.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:13:19 AM EDT
Anything with beef bouillon would set off an attack in my Grandpa. That means soups, some packaged foods, lots of things have it as an ingredient.

Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:19:22 AM EDT

Originally Posted By wildearp:
Anything with beef bouillon would set off an attack in my Grandpa. That means soups, some packaged foods, lots of things have it as an ingredient.

Probably the yeast in it. Boullion cubes are mostly yeast, and yeast's about the most purine-rich thing you can eat.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:33:21 AM EDT
I have had a couple of attacks of the Gout. Unbelievable pain.
I went to the GP and he gave me a script for a green pill,
forget the name. Took two doses and was 100% cured, both
times. Had enough of the script left for the second attack
6 or so months later, and still have some left for the next.

DanM
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:19:14 AM EDT
Just got back from the doc. He says it sounds like gout. Didn't seem concerned. He said based on my level of physical conditioning and general state of health, he doubted it was all food related. Preached moderation and indicatged heredity could be playing a role (brother gets gout).

They took some blood to test for the uric acid levels and prescribed a Naprosyn and Ultram.

Bomber
Top Top