[#1]
It's on my wish list.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:36:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:39:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:46:44 PM EDT
[#4]
The Ducati's are sweet bikes. I live way to far from a dealer to have one though. They require alot of dealer attention.  Kinda like a thouroughbred race horse needs good stable and trainer
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 9:14:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Need a lot of maintenance which is far from cheap. The desmodromic valve acuation can be a real PITA. But they are great bikes. They sound beautiful, look beautiful and handle awesomely. However for what they are they are slow and overpriced in most cases compared to their Japanese counterparts. The Suzuki SV650 is a far better bike than the Monster but it aint no Duc. I had a chance to buy one of these a few years back at a great price brand new as a dealer leftover. Man I wish I bought and kept it.
98' Ducati 900SS FE
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:38:12 AM EDT
[#6]
From Ebay:  (i love this bike)

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:31:14 PM EDT
[#7]
If you get a Ducati you have to get one with a dry clutch. The combination of the desmo valvetrain and a dry clutch make it sound like the engine is crushing rocks. People will ask if there is something wrong with your bike.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:51:51 AM EDT
[#8]
When I was in basic at Lackland AFB there was a TI that rode a Duc Paso all the time. I used to get my @ss chewed because when we were in formation he always seemed to ride by and I'd have to turn my head and look!
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:02:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 4:42:02 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
A CO I know has an older Ducati. I have no idea what year or model as I've only seen a picture of it. It has the small wrap around fairing with the small windshield.
something like this.
www.ducatimeccanica.com/Ron_Verweij/SFC-Sport-900ss.jpg

I think the orange one is a Pantah, and the next one is a 750SS
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:31:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:35:36 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Need a lot of maintenance which is far from cheap. The desmodromic valve acuation can be a real PITA. But they are great bikes. They sound beautiful, look beautiful and handle awesomely. However for what they are they are slow and overpriced in most cases compared to their Japanese counterparts. The Suzuki SV650 is a far better bike than the Monster but it aint no Duc. I had a chance to buy one of these a few years back at a great price brand new as a dealer leftover. Man I wish I bought and kept it.
98' Ducati 900SS FE
gallery.thevboard.com/showpic.php?dispsize=Original&album=yelloov&pic=Ducati-900SS-FE.jpg

i agree w/ the slow and overpriced part.  ive never been a big Duke fan.  i'm just not a V-twin kinda guy. but they ARE pretty bikes.  unmatched styling.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:37:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 10:27:30 AM EDT
[#14]
I want one of those Dark models too.  The flat black looks so sweet on them.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 10:51:26 AM EDT
[#15]
I admit I have a thing for their superbikes.  Wouldn't buy one as they're so damn expensive and uncomfortable.  My back started to hurt after about 12 seconds on it.  It's a race bike that was adapted for the street, footpegs up and back way too far to be comfy on long rides.  They just sound so purdy.  Ever hear a 999R with a 102Db exhaust?  Scary, but nice.  MJD
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 12:54:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Just sold mine, kinda wishing I hadn't. Ducs are kinda like that, when you have em you wanna sell em then when they're gone you miss em. At first I had a problem with the clutch, then a wiring problem, then another wiring problem, then a rear suspension problem. Sold it too cheap and I think the bastard that bought the bike just sold it too (at least I hope he did, he almost dropped the bike getting it down the street).
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:05:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Almost.......presently going through my mid life crisis...was looking for a sportbike to keep my Softail company...Located a couple of nice 900SS's. they wouldn't budge on price, so I bought  a 2001 honda 929RR instead.....
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:38:16 PM EDT
[#18]
I haven't ever owned one but if i ever have the money and after about 5 more years of experience this is my bike www.ducati.com/bikes/my2005/ducatiModel.jhtml?family=superbike&modelName=999R-05

You have to be paying attention on that bike.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:19:05 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Almost.......presently going through my mid life crisis...was looking for a sportbike to keep my Softail company...Located a couple of nice 900SS's. they wouldn't budge on price, so I bought  a 2001 honda 929RR instead.....

Good choice. The 929 will hand a 900SS it's ass in any situation. The 900SS is a beautiful bike though.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 10:29:55 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good choice. The 929 will hand a 900SS it's ass in any situation. The 900SS is a beautiful bike though.

couldn't agree more!!!!that blood red ducati got my blood boiling but they wanted about $2,000 more than bluebook. And, they refused to do a service on the bike before selling it!!!!!WTF?????????????
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 10:36:06 PM EDT
[#21]
NO, but watching Trinity riding it in her suit was a turn on though
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 11:01:41 PM EDT
[#22]
A guy where I work has one
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 12:37:35 AM EDT
[#23]
A woman here at work just bought a 750 Monster.  It's her first street bike.  When I told her that most people don't usually choose that as a first street bike her response was "Most people don't have the experience I have.  I've been riding dirt bikes since I was a little kid".  When I told her about the extensive maintenance they require she said "That's OK, I'll probably ride it like a little old lady so it won't need much".  We've got a name for people like this... organ donors.

It has more to do with one-upping her soon-to-be-ex, he bought a motorcycle after they split so she had to get one a little better.

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 1:02:05 AM EDT
[#24]
Beautiful bikes! I certainly wouldn't mind getting one. With gas prices the way they are (and will be) they're looking better and better every day.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 4:26:30 AM EDT
[#25]
I've got a Monster 750 (well actually it's the wife's, but no need to split hairs) and I love it.  I haven't really found it needs an unreasonable amount of maintnence, but then again I do most of it myself.

The only thing going against the monster is the lack of a fairing makes long trips on the interstate an uncomfortable experience.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 4:51:31 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Beautiful bikes! I certainly wouldn't mind getting one. With gas prices the way they are (and will be) they're looking better and better every day.

I dunno about that, my Duc gave me about 20-25 mpg, which isn't bad if you're driving a F250. My tank would be empty wayyyy too often
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:25:38 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I dunno about that, my Duc gave me about 20-25 mpg, which isn't bad if you're driving a F250. My tank would be empty wayyyy too often

...thats pretty nasty gas mileage for a bike. What Ducati was it? My cousin has a Suzuki SV1000 and if he rides it hard he gets about 35 miles to the gallon and if he stays off it gets around 40 lowest 45-50...SV1000 is one heck of a powerful bike. My cousin also had a SV650 before the 1000 and he got 55-60 mpg.  
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:30:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Well, I drive a Jeep and am lucky to get about 15mpg. 20-25 sounds pretty bad for a bike, but it's a sight better than what I'm doing now.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:42:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:52:45 PM EDT
[#30]
It's the one I have pictured up, it's a 748R. Not that I'm justifing the horrible gas mileage, but I did run the bike fairly hard (kept the revs up so I wouldn't get run over in traffic), but it was fuel injected and I honestly expected better gas mileage. The best mileage I got from the bike was the couple of times I took the bike on a couple of long trips (100 miles which is long for a Duc) and got probably around 35-40 mpg (more on the lower side of that).

Honestly the sound of a V-twin on a dry clutch is something you never get over
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:31:39 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
It's the one I have pictured up, it's a 748R. Not that I'm justifing the horrible gas mileage, but I did run the bike fairly hard (kept the revs up so I wouldn't get run over in traffic), but it was fuel injected and I honestly expected better gas mileage. The best mileage I got from the bike was the couple of times I took the bike on a couple of long trips (100 miles which is long for a Duc) and got probably around 35-40 mpg (more on the lower side of that).

Honestly the sound of a V-twin on a dry clutch is something you never get over

My 88ci Harley gets 42 mpg, but my Honda XR650L gets about 40.

When I installed a cam in the Harley I had to rejet the carb a little leaner which gave me about a 2 mpg increase across the board.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:00:20 PM EDT
[#32]

The bike I want right now is the new MV Agusta F4-1000 in the traditional red/silver racing colors.

MV Augusta? Aiming low huh? Personally in Italian bikes I like the Aprilia RSV MIlle R.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:29:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Well ya gotta love an MV Agusta, I've seen some great deals to be had on some late model MVs; definately tempting to pick one up.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 4:31:01 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 10:21:29 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Yeah, I'm an Italian bike junkie.

In addition the the three older Ducatis that I mentioned above, I have also owned a '77 Laverda 1000 Jarama(180 degree crank, early model triple cylinder), which had the 1200cc kit installed when it was new, and it also hade the bigger carbs with screened velocity stacks, 13:1 compression, and the racing cams.  It needed 104 octane gas, or it wouldn't start. That thing was a "white knuckle" bike! It ate Kawasaki Z-1's for breakfast!

Also, I've had a '78 Benelli 750SEI six-cylinder which was a very cool bike, that got alot of looks. I had the model with the stack of 3 chrome mufflers on each side(6 total) that really looked cool! I also had the 6-into-1 header in flat black, if I felt like putting it on. Mine was red/black, and it was a very cool and exotic bike. It was designed by Alejandro de Tomaso, and was produced when he owned that company. Of course, most people know de Tomaso from his popular  Pantera  sports car design with the Ford engine. But he also was responsible for the Benelli 750SEI.

Out of all of them, I liked the '73 Ducati 750SS the most. It was exotic, and handled great, and looked like a dream. The Scarab brake hydraulics were shit, and I replaced them with Girling brake hydraulics. Kept the originals for collector purposes. Also, the Veglia instruments were shit, too. But I kept them on there anyway. I always shift by feel, so I didn't really need them anyway. And for fuel gauge, my gas tank had the clear strip on the side so I could see the fuel level. As far as I know, all the real 750SS bikes had that gas tank. I sold that bike 20 years ago. Wish I still had it.

WOW, I can only imagine some of the bikes you've rode.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 10:30:57 AM EDT
[#36]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top