BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/2/2007 6:11:57 AM EDT
I just heard about this from a friend... Wiki-GeoCaching

Sounds kinda cool.
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 6:13:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes, been a cacher for about 4 years. Fun hobby, great to take on vacation or Sunday drives.
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 6:40:55 AM EDT
[#2]
It was a lot more fun back when people used ammo cans for the cache. You are supposed to trade some junk you bring for some junk you find in the ammo can. Some folks took that to mean that you could take the ammo can and trade a cheap disposable plastic food container for the ammo can. How many of you guys go Geocaching just to steal the ammo can?
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 7:08:31 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
It was a lot more fun back when people used ammo cans for the cache. You are supposed to trade some junk you bring for some junk you find in the ammo can. Some folks took that to mean that you could take the ammo can and trade a cheap disposable plastic food container for the ammo can. How many of you guys go Geocaching just to steal the ammo can?

LOL. I was thinking if I got into it and buried my own I would make something out of PVC pipe. Ammo can't didn't occur to me although they would be perfect.
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 7:20:36 AM EDT
[#4]
You are not supposed to bury the cache. You can camo it with moss or tree bark so that it is nearly invisible or stick it down an armadillo hole but you are not supposed to dig a hole and bury it.
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 7:21:56 AM EDT
[#5]
IM sent.
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 7:25:17 AM EDT
[#6]
We're just getting into it, we picked up a Garmin Etrex at the last fun show.
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 7:27:04 AM EDT
[#7]
www.geocaching.com/

Been doing it and off for about 4 years.  The kids really like it.
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 7:29:49 AM EDT
[#8]
It's a lot of fun. Also an excellent way to familiarize yourself with your GPS.

Some Cachers are VERY creative when placing their object. I prefer winter time ... no ticks!
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 7:32:32 AM EDT
[#9]
The kids like it.
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 7:38:16 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
You are not supposed to bury the cache. You can camo it with moss or tree bark so that it is nearly invisible or stick it down an armadillo hole but you are not supposed to dig a hole and bury it.

Damn!!! No wonder I can't find any Geocaches in Oregon...I haven't been looking in armadillo holes
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 7:43:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Does anyone make "hides" for geocaching?  Commercially available containers designed for concealment?
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 7:47:03 AM EDT
[#12]
No burying? How often does this result in the cache being stolen by a non-participant who just sees it sitting there and takes it?
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 7:47:35 AM EDT
[#13]
height=8
Quoted:
Does anyone make "hides" for geocaching?  Commercially available containers designed for concealment?

Yea, Tupperware seems to. That's what I have usually found.
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 7:51:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Tried it a bit on Mackinac Island this year.  My wife's family vacations there every year, so with this being my 6th trip it was nice to do something a little different at a familiar place.
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 8:08:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Happens every once in a while.  I've never experienced it though.

There was one cache that was found accidentally by a clearing crew.  They ran over an ammo can that was hidden and broke it up pretty well.  The guys on the clearing crew saw it and wrote a note about what happened to it and left it near the location.  A geocacher went to find it and when he did, he posted pictures of it.  It was pretty cool that they left it there and explained what happened.

Link Posted: 10/2/2007 8:10:42 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
No burying? How often does this result in the cache being stolen by a non-participant who just sees it sitting there and takes it?

Not very often. The cache is usually far enough off the actual trail and covered with dead branches, rocks, forest dabree etc. that it would not be noticed by someone casually walking down the trail.

It is getting to be popular to hide micro-caches. This is usually a 35mm film container or pill bottle or even something smaller. These can be very aggrivating to try and find.

The worst are hidden by devious MFs who take a bolt to a machine shop and have it hollowed out on a lathe and hide it in bridge timbers.

The last really challenging one I found was in a swampy area that had lots of trash that had washed in during the last flood cycle. The water line was several feet above the ground. I kept looking for some sort of container that would not have washed away. Something that would be attached to a log or something. Finally I saw a plastic apple up in a yaupon bush. The apple was hollowed out.
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 8:16:00 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
The last really challenging one I found was in a swampy area that had lots of trash that had washed in during the last flood cycle. The water line was several feet above the ground. I kept looking for some sort of container that would not have washed away. Something that would be attached to a log or something. Finally I saw a plastic apple up in a yaupon bush. The apple was hollowed out.

Holy crap... people really go out of their way to make it difficult.
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 8:18:26 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geocaching

You should try it, the only downside is that some of your "treasure" find will be the 99cent store stuff kind. On the upside, you'll be up for some challenge and whatnot.

It doesn't cost you more than the price of the GPS to get started on a fun hobby....

Good luck.

:}
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 8:25:55 AM EDT
[#19]
I like to leave "Where's George" dollars.

www.wheresgeorge.com

Link Posted: 10/2/2007 8:35:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Getting on winter time here in Montana....but plan on starting it in the spring.
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 8:42:14 AM EDT
[#21]
Some of them are a very small cache hidden in or near a playground in a neighborhood park. Imagine you by yourself wandering around the playground with kids playing and you are holding a GPS that could easily be mistaken for a digital camera. Guess how that looks to the mommies? Thats right. Hello 911, there is a creepy man with camera lurking around the playground. No thanks.

I mostly stick to the ones that are off in the woods and require some hiking to get to.

As to trading, I can only remember one time that I found something worth taking out of a cache. It was an interesting key chain. So I left a cigar and a couple of rounds of .45 out of my spare Sig. magazine.
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 5:14:51 PM EDT
[#22]
If you are an experienced land navigator it will get boring after a few.

I've used it as a fun way to teach my nephews a bit about it. We put the coordinates on a trail map. Then I have them use the map alone to get us close. Then we use the GPS and compass to move the last 200M or so. After you get within 20M the GPS is normally useless. It becomes a straight shot treasure hunt. Bring a flashlight even in the day, the caches are usually under rocks, logs, etc.
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 5:18:14 PM EDT
[#23]
A couple friends and I geocache once or twice a month by bike, usually in a larger town/city.
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 5:20:46 PM EDT
[#24]
I have found them on archaeological sites- then I would throw the contents away and keep the ammo can.  Keep them away from the burials and such folks.
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 5:21:58 PM EDT
[#25]
I hit up about six or seven geocaches when I lived in North Carolina. They can be fun to search for.
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 5:30:23 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Holy crap... people really go out of their way to make it difficult.

You have no idea...  Some people are experts in hiding things right out in the open. It is often hard to retrieve the cache without being noticed.

We have done several that having a calculator would have been handy as they were multi caches that included some pretty serious math at one clue to get to the next clue.  One of them took my wife and I four tries to finally find.  Not only were the clues them self difficult to figure out, they were hid well too.
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 8:38:04 AM EDT
[#27]
Has there ever been a reported incident of some sick twist boobytrapping a cache to hurt the person who finds it.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 6:55:38 PM EDT
[#28]
My wife and son tried out about a dozen caches this weekend.

We had about an 80% success rate.  (The smallest cache we found was in a green container just slightly larger than a multivitamin and hanging from a tree branch.)

It was fun.  We'll do it again.

Link Posted: 10/7/2007 7:16:06 PM EDT
[#29]
edited - account locked ~ 82nd
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 7:19:33 PM EDT
[#30]
www.geocaching.com

I use the same s/n there as I do here. Ive only gone once but it was fun!
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 7:22:49 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Has there ever been a reported incident of some sick twist boobytrapping a cache to hurt the person who finds it.

haha i just had a great idea. im gonna make a cache that just has a note in it that says "BOOM - if i didnt like you, you would be dead right now"

really make people think
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 7:26:00 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

haha i just had a great idea. im gonna make a cache that just has a note in it that says "BOOM - if i didnt like you, you would be dead right now"

really make people think

Make people think what?....that you're a freaking loon?
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 7:34:29 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

really make people think

you mean you dont find that funny? its been almost 10 minutes since i posted that and im still laughing about it.

i mean, you go around searching for boxes people post about on the net, for all you know someone could set one up just to stalk you / hurt you when you show up to do one. people need to really THINK about what they are doing.

if it wasnt called "geocaching", would you go walking through the woods with a GPS and some cords some dude on the internet told you had a box full of "candy" around it?

its almost scary.

edit: would make a great scary movie plot!
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 7:42:29 PM EDT
[#34]
We haven't gone in a while, but now that it is cooler, I think I will break out the GPS again. My wife and I like doing it because we can find a hiking trail, and I can usually plot a few geocaches on the hike. Turns the hike into a treasure hunt.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 7:54:43 PM EDT
[#35]
Did it in gym class a year or 2 back, can't remember. I thought it was pretty boring myself.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 8:38:40 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

no one has found the body yet, that bouncing betty did quite a bit of damage.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 8:41:41 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
edited - account locked ~ 82nd

Damn, what'd I miss while driving home from work?
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 4:57:58 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

really make people think

you mean you dont find that funny? its been almost 10 minutes since i posted that and im still laughing about it.

i mean, you go around searching for boxes people post about on the net, for all you know someone could set one up just to stalk you / hurt you when you show up to do one. people need to really THINK about what they are doing.

if it wasnt called "geocaching", would you go walking through the woods with a GPS and some cords some dude on the internet told you had a box full of "candy" around it?

its almost scary.

Uh...yeah.  Great idea.

Here's one.  Why don't you drive around town putting postcards in people's mailboxes.  On each postcard you could write "You would be dead right now if I didn't like you."

Ha-ha.  Isn't that great?

That would really make them think.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 8:48:26 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

really make people think

its almost scary.

Uh...yeah.  Great idea.

Here's one.  Why don't you drive around town putting postcards in people's mailboxes.  On each postcard you could write "You would be dead right now if I didn't like you."

Ha-ha.  Isn't that great?

That would really make them think.

i see someone has no sense of humor.

and i would do the mailbox thing, if it wasnt a felony and all. and it would make me laugh. just the thought of it. they would open their mail box, notice a note, and start reading. you would see them suddenly freeze in fear. maybe throw a few glances around them to see if anyone is watching then rush into their house. i would be laughing my ass off if i watched it.

btw, i liked how you turned me hiding a box in the woods (that someone has to voluntarlly come look for) as a joke into me comminting a felony. really got your point across!

i stand by my intent. marching through the woods looking for some package someone hid in the woods whom you dont know is STUPID. hell, why go and kidnap someone and drag them out their  for who knows what when you can have them come right to you?

edit: this is NO DOUBT the reason so many of them are doing the "hidden in plain sight" thing. so that they are in populated areas, where stuff like this cant happen.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 3:17:56 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
i see someone has no sense of humor.

and i would do the mailbox thing, if it wasnt a felony and all. and it would make me laugh. just the thought of it. they would open their mail box, notice a note, and start reading. you would see them suddenly freeze in fear. maybe throw a few glances around them to see if anyone is watching then rush into their house. i would be laughing my ass off if i watched it.

If that really strikes you as having a sense of humor, I don't even know how to start addressing your other points.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top