Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/4/2008 2:15:36 PM EDT
Link Posted: 10/4/2008 2:51:40 PM EDT
[#1]
This the one with the rail and no internal firing pin block?
Link Posted: 10/4/2008 3:14:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/4/2008 3:40:02 PM EDT
[#3]
yep, thats the one.  Weekend before, I was at the range with a S&W rep and shot one.  It held a tight group, but the trigger was heavy and creepy.  The rail wouldn't let me install the x200 on the picatinny rail even though it was equipped with the P bar.    ( bar used in the picatinny rail applications)  Rep said the rail is to 1913 spec.  The pistol felt nice but I didn't like the external extractor, learned my lesson with the kimber, and I didn't like the trigger and that the rail didn't allow me to lock in my light.  
Rep said this model is without any internal firing pin block safety and would only be sold to Police, something about lawyers and liability.

If it were me, and it will be shortly, I think I would just get the springfield MC operator.  The one I shot was much nicer than the S&W and shot like a dream from the box, of course it is a $1100 gun and the S&W is supposed to go for about $800.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 10/4/2008 4:26:18 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
yep, thats the one.  Weekend before, I was at the range with a S&W rep and shot one.  It held a tight group, but the trigger was heavy and creepy.  The rail wouldn't let me install the x200 on the picatinny rail even though it was equipped with the P bar.    ( bar used in the picatinny rail applications)  Rep said the rail is to 1913 spec.  The pistol felt nice but I didn't like the external extractor, learned my lesson with the kimber, and I didn't like the trigger and that the rail didn't allow me to lock in my light.  
Rep said this model is without any internal firing pin block safety and would only be sold to Police, something about lawyers and liability.

If it were me, and it will be shortly, I think I would just get the springfield MC operator.  The one I shot was much nicer than the S&W and shot like a dream from the box, of course it is a $1100 gun and the S&W is supposed to go for about $800.

Hope this helps.

What he said....
Link Posted: 10/4/2008 4:45:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Had one, traded it in on a Springfield.  The trigger was gritty and inconsistent, it choked on some of the JHP's I tried, and I was not impressed with the accuracy.

I really like S&W revolvers and their AR's seem pretty good, but they need to stay the hell away from 1911's.  JMHO.
Link Posted: 10/4/2008 5:25:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/4/2008 10:54:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Smith triggers have a lot of creep and wobble side to side from my experience. The springfield triggers are much nicer at retail condition without anything after market done, and they don't have the external extractor that some people don't like. If lightweight 1911's are your thing, you can't go wrong with a smith wesson PD. Otherwise whoever brought up the MC Operator in my opinion is hitting the nail on the head. For a little bit more (or less in some places) the MC Operator is probably the better choice. It has a beautiful retail trigger.

You must take my word at face value though, I haven't had real range time with either, I work part time in a store that happens to have both springfield and smith lines so I get to tinker with them a bit and can really only honestly remark on the quality of both fresh from the box. I do realize that sometimes a budget and whats available in the area is a very large factor for departments etc. From my limited experience other then the already remarked on cons the pd is a very solid platform.

The only reason I venture to this section is because I do volly firefighting. I hope my input was of value.

Link Posted: 10/6/2008 5:16:35 AM EDT
[#8]
I had one and will never have one again. During training mine broke, the houseing that keeps the pin for the safety broke off. I returned it to the factory and they fixed it. When I got the gun back it did the same thing about a week later. I have a Springfield loaded now.  
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 5:59:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Mine has been a flawless ejector with factory ammo. Not so for most of my old style ejectors. Never had any problems, but the trigger leaves something to be desired in the wobble area. I have the 1911 PD Commander. Never had the Springfield, I believe it to be a nice pistol from handling it. It's probable that both would be a nice pistol, I would put both thru a torture test before I trusted someone else's life with it... My experience tells me pick smith, but in your situation it might not be the perfect choice.
Kael
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 5:50:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top