Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 2/22/2006 7:46:00 AM EDT
Four or five times for me, desolate and isolated. I love it! Beautiful and tropical. Lots of history too!
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:46:35 AM EDT
I've flown over it.

Does that count?
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:48:38 AM EDT

Originally Posted By SmilingBandit:
I've flown over it.

Does that count?

No you gotta be there and experience the island..
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:51:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/22/2006 7:51:45 AM EDT by dugedug]

Originally Posted By Valkyrie:
Four or five times for me, desolate and isolated. I love it! Beautiful and tropical. Lots of history too!

Once. Brighter than crap there and 80 degrees at 1000. Had to get my UWI t-shirt though. Dropped by comming back from okinawa (kadena) on the way to Hawaii (hickam). Kinda weird looking on both sides of the runway and seeing ocean. Alot of WWII junk still lying around.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:52:16 AM EDT

Originally Posted By SmilingBandit:
I've flown over it.

Does that count?

No you gotta be there and experience the island..

It was a waypoint on the way to Guam. Looking down it didn't look like there was much to it.

I love the CIA worldbook description of the size "about 11 times the size of The Mall in Washington, DC."
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:52:34 AM EDT
Only been there in BF2
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:59:57 AM EDT

Originally Posted By dugedug:

Once. Brighter than crap there and 80 degrees at 1000. Had to get my UWI t-shirt though. Dropped by comming back from okinawa (kadena) on the way to Hawaii (hickam). Kinda weird looking on both sides of the runway and seeing ocean. Alot of WWII junk still lying around.

We usually stop there on transit for WestPac detachments. Got the UWI shirts too! They have a fishing boat to charter for $25 a man, 6 man limit. It's always been chartered or broke when I was there but they catch lots of fish, yellowtail and ono it seems are the ususall types. Was there last fall and a USMC KC-130 crew was there and they chartered the boat and caught about 150 lbs worth of tuna and ono. They invited us to dine with them at the Drifters Reef Club. The Thai contractors grilled the fish for everyone and we ate fresh fish till the wee hours!
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 8:13:26 AM EDT
I was there in Feb of 2000 on a trans-pac home from Okinawa. Was with VMA-211 at the time. There were eight or nine of the original Wake Island Defenders there to greet us. I bought a copy of Col Devereux's book and got them all to sign it for me. We also did a wreath laying ceremony at the memorial with them. What an honor it was to do that with them. Also the manager of Drifters Reef rolled the prices on beer and mixed drinks back to 1941 prices. I think it was 15 cents for a beer and 45 cents for a mixed drink. That only lasted about an hour or so though because we were drinking them out of house and home. And got my UWI t-shirt too.

Does anyone know if Charlie the eel still hanging around?
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 8:58:56 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Dover:
I was there in Feb of 2000 on a trans-pac home from Okinawa. Was with VMA-211 at the time. There were eight or nine of the original Wake Island Defenders there to greet us. I bought a copy of Col Devereux's book and got them all to sign it for me. We also did a wreath laying ceremony at the memorial with them. What an honor it was to do that with them. Also the manager of Drifters Reef rolled the prices on beer and mixed drinks back to 1941 prices. I think it was 15 cents for a beer and 45 cents for a mixed drink. That only lasted about an hour or so though because we were drinking them out of house and home. And got my UWI t-shirt too.

Does anyone know if Charlie the eel still hanging around?

The island sheriff said there are two big eels that hang by the old bridge to Peale Is. nowadays. I swim there and snorkel every time I get there and haven't seen any eels. I dont think they are aggressive anyway. They did say that a few months ago a BIG Tiger shark came into the lagoon with the tide and hung around for a few days.. Next trip I'm gonna take some light tackle and try to catch some of the bigger fish in the lagoon over by the old sea plane piers.. I'm more worried about UXO than sea creatures in the lagoon.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 9:01:13 AM EDT

Originally Posted By johndel:
Only been there in BF2

yup, thats the first thing i thought of
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 10:05:32 AM EDT

Only been there in BF2

Roger That (+1)
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 10:05:58 AM EDT

Only been there in BF2

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 10:08:47 AM EDT

Originally Posted By darwindog:

Only been there in BF2

Roger That (+1)

+1, I thought this was going to be a question of how accurate the map is...

Kharn
Top Top