Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/8/2006 8:47:28 PM EDT
I'm looking to buy a couple silver .357 Magnum bullets from the Bullet Forge. I need them loaded hot, but not too hot.

As it turns out, while jacking off may ward off ghosts and evil spirits, apparently it doesn't work for all supernatural/undead critters. Now I've got scratches on parts of me that should never have to deal with hostile creatures.

Incidentally, anybody know when the next full moon is?

On a serious note, if I ever did blow $40 on a silver bullet for some hare-brained reason, is there anyone who reloads his own stuff on a regular basis who might do a freebie for me?
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:49:01 PM EDT
Now THIS is an interesting topic.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:49:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/8/2006 8:50:48 PM EDT by sling_blade]
I can load em.

And thanks for the excuse for punchin the clown.

ETA: jmdz4 shot some of my .357 reloads yesterday. No way in hell could he empty the 50cal ammo can full, though.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:51:07 PM EDT

KILL IT WITH FIRE
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:51:19 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:52:35 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Napoleon_Tanerite:
www.michaelmoore.com/_images/splash/mjthriller.jpg

KILL IT WITH FIRE

That's a lot more frightening than anything I had planned on using that bullet against.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:55:00 PM EDT
You know?
I keep a mag loaded for just about any eventuality. Silver bullets would be a grin.
I have about 4 calibres I'd like them in... Sometimes fun is more important than money.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 9:00:38 PM EDT
Sure as long as you don't go shooting your self with them...
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 9:02:10 PM EDT
Shit, I could cast them for far less than that. Silver casting grain is usually about $10-15 per oz. troy. I bet that'd at least get you one bullet.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 10:00:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/8/2006 10:01:25 PM EDT by arrgr]
Why can't you just fill hollowpoints with melted silver?

Is that too half-assed to kill true supernatural critters???

Ironically, my dog is going crazy right now...chasing "something" around the house...of course I'm getting the goosebumps when I go tell him to shut up...must be the shadow ppl...

My parents don't like the fact that I live in a house with a cemetary over the next hill...
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 10:06:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/8/2006 10:09:28 PM EDT by AROKIE]
i want titanium rounds. that would be some bling yo'
or this gold hollowpoint with a pretty stone in it!!

Link Posted: 4/8/2006 10:17:00 PM EDT
If you're gonna spring for the Silver, I'll load em for ya, at 95% of max that Hodgdon lists for HS-6. Assuming you let me keep one for Curio purposes.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 11:28:55 PM EDT
Winchester silvertips worked for me in the past!
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 6:53:49 AM EDT

Originally Posted By AROKIE:
i want titanium rounds. that would be some bling yo'
or this gold hollowpoint with a pretty stone in it!!

www.bulletforge.com/images/silver_bullets/9mm_hp_silver_bullet_jewelled.jpg

Wouldn't titanium ruin your barrel?
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 7:03:07 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Swindle1984:

jacking off may ward off ghosts and evil spirits, apparently it doesn't work for all supernatural/undead critters. Now I've got scratches on parts of me .

Time to trim your fingernails no doubt
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 7:16:10 AM EDT
I just paint mine with silver paint.

That way you can just hold one up and say "Don't even think about it pal"

Creatures of the dark are usually easily fooled and will move on to somebody
else who is less prepared.

GM
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 7:18:16 AM EDT

Originally Posted By chrome1:

jacking off may ward off ghosts and evil spirits, apparently it doesn't work for all supernatural/undead critters. Now I've got scratches on parts of me .

Time to trim your fingernails no doubt

That was a good one
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 7:57:10 AM EDT

Originally Posted By goodmedicine:

GM

But one should dispatch the creatures of the dark rather than allow them to prey on innocents. You big meanie
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 8:06:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/9/2006 1:59:44 PM EDT by DonOhio39]
Don't try casting any of those with normal equipment meant for lead. Silver melts at a much higher temp and the standard gear just doesn't make the cut.

Easier to get a bar of silver and turn them on a lathe. At least that's how I see it. YMMV.

Don in Ohio
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 1:13:58 PM EDT

Originally Posted By MagKnightX:

Originally Posted By goodmedicine:

GM

But one should dispatch the creatures of the dark rather than allow them to prey on innocents. You big meanie

Eh, he just points them toward DU. No harm done.

Originally Posted By DonOhio39:
Don't try casting any of those with normal equipment meant for lead. Silver melts at a much higher temp and the standard gear just doesn't make the cut.

Easier to get a bar of silver and turn them on a lathe. At least that's how I see it. YMMV.

Doon in Ohio

I think most of us could figure that out. Especially since we're talking about buying a silver bullet and loading it, rather than casting a silver bullet and loading it.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 1:23:32 PM EDT
Isn't silver very brittle? Would it even survive being fired?
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 2:09:34 PM EDT
Originally Posted By DonOhio39:

Don in Ohio

Swindle1984 replied

I think most of us could figure that out. Especially since we're talking about buying a silver bullet and loading it, rather than casting a silver bullet and loading it.

MagKnightX mentioned casting. "Most of us" doesn't equal "All of us"

Don in Ohio
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 1:10:53 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Steve_T_M:
Isn't silver very brittle? No.Would it even survive being fired? It has before.

Gold and silver bullets have been used for centuries, mostly as collector's items or ceremonial duties. People have been shot and killed with silver bullets, including several incidents in the 21st century. Silver doesn't expand as well as lead, but it isn't any worse a material for bullets than copper.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 3:19:32 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 5:21:17 PM EDT
Haven't read the whole post but Winchester makes Silver Tips in every cal. that I've looked for .223 , .357 , 30-06 , .308 ....ect.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 5:24:25 PM EDT
tag
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 5:27:01 PM EDT
Does it have to be a silver bullet that would actually kill a werewolf because of the damage it does, or would just a silver pellet kill it?
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 5:46:45 PM EDT
If you could find some .454 diameter silver balls, you could just load them in a .44 black powder revolver.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 5:51:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/10/2006 5:53:43 PM EDT by madmann135]
Calling Van Helsing That's the complete article.

Now all I need is a heater that can reach 2000*F, graphite moulds and silver then I can make Silver bullets cheaply.

With just about 7 bucks for an ounce of Silver I can make some nice and shiney bullets.

With those bullets I can kill werewolves and possiably vampires.

Is it true that Silver is slightly softer than the copper jackets that modern day smokeless powder weapons use?
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 5:51:21 PM EDT
Arn't silver bullets for vampires not warewolves?
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 5:53:59 PM EDT
They work both ways.

I need some copper jacketed .50 AEs...
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 6:03:36 PM EDT

Originally Posted By clement:

It all depends on who your talking to.

Silver and Iron are both considered magic metals.

Silver for Shapeshifters some creatures of the night/evils (IE vampires) and Other Worldly creatures (IE poltergeist, evil spirits, demons).

Iron for magic based creatures IE fae Folk and farries.

Some say that a Silver bullet through the heart is the only or the best way to kill a shape shifter (werewolf).

Some say that Silver is a toxic metal to them.

Some even say that SilverNitrate is deadly to werewolves.

If you want to be sure buy Silver bullets, load them and use them to your heart's content against shapeshifters, otherworldly creatures.

like I said, it all depends on who your talking to.

I think the wooden stake through the heart started out of poor people's beliefs. The rich used Silver bullets to deal with dules.

would kinda suck to be shot by a silver bullet now adays.
I mean the guy would have to think your a werewolf or vampire of some sort.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 6:09:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/10/2006 7:47:01 PM EDT by _DR]
what about liquid silver nitrate encapsualted in a metal bullet, like in Underworld, so their Lycantrope buddies can't dig out the rounds and save them, the liquid gets in the bloodstream. At least it did in the movie.

I don't care if it works or not, Kate Beckinsale was doing it, so it must be cool.

Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:13:18 PM EDT
I was seriously considering giving silver bullets out as groomsmen's gifts.. Could someone load two dummy and two live?

I was talking to a jeweler friend, and he seemed quite interested in putting the bullets together. I scribbled out a little back-of-envelope weight calculation, and I think it worked out to $10-15 a bullet for .45ACP standard ball.

Standard casting molds are out then?
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:24:03 PM EDT
Never loaded silver before. I am not aware of loading data for silver bullets, so if I did want to do it, I would think for safety purposes, it would be a good idea to work up the loads. That would require several bullets to do properly.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:25:11 PM EDT
Could you put some silver solder in the hollow point?
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:47:38 PM EDT
Group buy potential?
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 10:03:59 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Mojo_Jojo:
Never loaded silver before. I am not aware of loading data for silver bullets, so if I did want to do it, I would think for safety purposes, it would be a good idea to work up the loads. That would require several bullets to do properly.

I don't see how it would be any less safe than all-copper bullets of the same grain.

Somewhere is a novelty/collector's Colt .38 Special revolver. It's intricately engraved with vampire scenes, crosses, roses, etc. and the rampant colt is even standing on a coffin. The box the revolver comes in is shaped like a coffin, has a mirror in the lid, a "holy water" vial, a small crucifix, and six (live) cartridges loaded with silver bullets carved to resemble the head of a vampire. One round has been fired. There are several silver bats tacked onto the grip as kill marks.

It's quite unique and whenever it gets sold to a new owner it inevitably shows up in all the gun rags.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 10:14:07 PM EDT

Originally Posted By clement:

Depends on the legends. Historically, silver bullets kill werewolves deader than dead. Some versions say that ONLY silver can kill a werewolf, while others hold that any type of bullet (or sword, knife, spear, etc.) can kill a werewolf but if the wound isn't instantly fatal, the werewolf will heal when it transforms back to human form- unless the wound was made by silver.

Most legends about vampires don't say anything one way or another about silver harming them. More recently, stories have begun featuring silver killing vampires (Van Helsing, Hellsing, etc.) but usually a wooden stake through the heart, decapitation, inceneration, direct exposure to sunlight, or even more mundane means of execution will off the blood-suckers.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 10:23:04 PM EDT

Originally Posted By _DR:
Group buy potential?

I'm in.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 10:33:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/10/2006 10:34:00 PM EDT by thedoctors308]
Silver is identified with the moon, hence its reputed use against lunar shapeshifters.

Swindle, I like the idea.
When I get a .357 Magnum, I'm going to get a speedloader with silver rounds.
Why?
Always be prepared.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 3:23:33 PM EDT

Originally Posted By thedoctors308:
Silver is identified with the moon, hence its reputed use against lunar shapeshifters.

Swindle, I like the idea.
When I get a .357 Magnum, I'm going to get a speedloader with silver rounds.
Why?
Always be prepared.

Hey, if you're gonna be ready for anything, be ready for ANYTHING.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 3:30:15 PM EDT

I don't see how it would be any less safe than all-copper bullets of the same grain.

Somewhere is a novelty/collector's Colt .38 Special revolver. It's intricately engraved with vampire scenes, crosses, roses, etc. and the rampant colt is even standing on a coffin. The box the revolver comes in is shaped like a coffin, has a mirror in the lid, a "holy water" vial, a small crucifix, and six (live) cartridges loaded with silver bullets carved to resemble the head of a vampire. One round has been fired. There are several silver bats tacked onto the grip as kill marks.

It's quite unique and whenever it gets sold to a new owner it inevitably shows up in all the gun rags.

I saw this gun in Guns N Ammo or something like that 10 years ago. It is one of the best looking and best done custom engraved guns I've ever seen.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 3:38:08 PM EDT

As it turns out, while jacking off may ward off ghosts and evil spirits, apparently it doesn't work for all supernatural/undead critters.

SOOOOO that's why I've never seen of ghost before!

On a serious note, if I ever did blow $40 on a silver bullet for some hare-brained reason, is there anyone who reloads his own stuff on a regular basis who might do a freebie for me?

Link Posted: 4/11/2006 3:39:05 PM EDT
I reload all kinds of crazy shit but this is the best.

LRT's house of Shizzle bullets.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 4:44:55 PM EDT
Looking at that site gave me some ideas. Now I'm thinking silver .45ACP HP's with a gemstone in the pit for the groomsmen.. Maybe Tom's got a line on a couple of nice lab grown rubies or something.

Maybe take a mold off a Pow'R'Ball, replace the ball with a pearl?

Link Posted: 4/12/2006 10:57:19 PM EDT

Originally Posted By crazyquik:

I saw this gun in Guns N Ammo or something like that 10 years ago. It is one of the best looking and best done custom engraved guns I've ever seen.

Yup. It really is a handsome firearm. It's a shame there isn't a whole lot of info about it on the net.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 10:59:55 PM EDT

Yup. It really is a handsome firearm. It's a shame there isn't a whole lot of info about it on the net.

That thing was badass...

.38 isn't exactly what I'd wanna use on anything though...

I need some silver 000 buck shot and slugs...
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 11:19:19 PM EDT

Originally Posted By NME:

That thing was badass...

.38 isn't exactly what I'd wanna use on anything though...

I need some silver 000 buck shot and slugs...

I always hear stories about how farmers used to load up dimes in their shotgun shells instead of buckshot or slugs. Considering that dimes were made of silver then and that you'd have to use quite a few to make a decent shell, sounds to me like that's a pretty expensive way of making a crappy shotgun round when the same amount of cash could buy you a ton of good ammo.

Maybe they had werewolf problems too.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 11:42:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/12/2006 11:42:54 PM EDT by mimikamimi]
From the website. Gold is for zombies! ! ! !
....................................................................................................................................................
Silver bullets have been made famous by the Lone Ranger

John Breeding of Denver Colorado offers this insight In point of fact, the Ranger used silver bullets for a couple of reasons

He did indeed have access to a silver mine (jointly owned by himself, his brother and a retired ranger named Jim Blaine) His other was killed by Butch Cavendish, so Jim Blaine was given the mine to work. It was Jim who actually made the Ranger's bullets for him. Jim was also the only other person besides Tonto who knew the Ranger's real name.

The Ranger wanted silver bullets to become a symbol of law and justice in the west.
The "humane" argument isn't true, simply because the Ranger never shot to kill,
only to disarm. These come from the very first Lone Ranger TV episode,
"Enter the Lone Ranger" from 1949.Silver Bullets -Vampires

I always thought that you needed sunlight, wooden stakes or holy water to do in a vampire Movie after movie seems to have silver bullets doing the job. Is this just hollywood? Anyway, to be safe you should order a hollowpoint silver bullet with holy water in it.

Silver Bullets - Werewolves (Lycanthropes)

Let's see if I can get this correct, lycantrhope hunters please help Originally it wasn't silver that did the werewolves in, but Silver Nitrate, a strong anteseptic Either that or quicksilver (mercury) also toxic. Might be a good custom bullet, 44mag hollopoint filled with silver nitrate!

Sab writes
Silver and iron are both considered magic metals so before silver it was iron as an iron sword for werewolves
and silver bullets also and as well vampires yet u have to shoot the vampire in the heart to kill it and if
its a full moon and the vampire looks at the moon after being shot in the heart with the silver bullet
the moon revitalizes the vampire and infuriates it making it harder to kill.
Gold Bullets

I'm probably really out in left field here, but I think that you use them to shoot zombies

I've lost the email, but one person wrote in to tell me about Gold Bullets and Dr. Who. Please remind me of the info. Something about gold dust being toxic to some alien's breathing apparatus.

Also just reported, in the Wallace and Grommet movie, curse of the WereRabbit, gold bullets play a prominent role!
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 12:32:49 AM EDT
This sounds like a job for........

http://s12.invisionfree.com/STUDDevelopment/index.php

- Clint
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top