Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/26/2006 1:05:57 PM EDT
When I was a young'n, the cap pistols were all the rage.   In addition to the traditional cheesy ones that used paper caps and the 8 shot "red plastic" ring revolvers, we had a bunch by an Italian company called Edison that used a long strip of caps.   On some you'd actually load one of these strips into a detachable magazine, others you slide the caps into a an opening.  

I had one from Edison called the "Falcon" that had a clip.   This thing was unreal.   With each shot, it threw sparks from the firing o the plastic caps out of the ejection port, and each successive shot "cut" the previous cap off and "ejected" it from the gun.  

(no kidding).

Others I had were an Uzi pistol, a Tommy Gun, a 1911 clone, and several others.

Different world back then.

Info here

Link Posted: 2/26/2006 1:08:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I had that kind, and also had the ones with the paper rolls of caps.

I used to take the entire roll and hit it with a hammer, for great justice.

Link Posted: 2/26/2006 1:11:53 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

+1.  Ahh, the kids of today just don't have the same kind of fun we did.  The P.C. situation in this country is just driving us further into the ground

--VT
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 1:12:01 PM EDT
[#3]
I had 3 or 4 different ones.

One was a rifle with a pistol grip, stock and fore end.  

My brother and I played ARMY all day with those things.

Now our toys are just a little more robust and more expensive.

You are right, kids today are missing out big time and would get into trouble if they play with guns.

Link Posted: 2/26/2006 1:19:15 PM EDT
[#4]
When we were kids we had the little ones with the flat hammer that fed and exploded the paper rolls of caps, those were great

Later, I also got a silver one about the size of a Walther .380 that fired a red plastic string of caps from a removable magazine(still have it)
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 1:41:56 PM EDT
[#5]
    We had something similar, maybe Edison. they used a little red cap similar to a muzzle loader percussion cap.
  They had two models, a little Chief special type snub nose and a Webley looking break action.

We loved those things and could even carry them in school unless we caused a disruption in class. It all came to a screeching halt one day when a kid stomped on a whole strip of caps and made a loud BANG. The teacher flipped out and banned them.

My other favorite gun was the Mattel M-16 but that would be a thread hijack.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 1:47:06 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I used to put them in a vise.  The bang was huge!
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 1:51:19 PM EDT
[#7]
roll them up tight and beat them with a brick all the time as a kid.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 1:54:21 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Ah, the fun that it was. In the garage with a hammer from dad's workbench, whacking the hell out of strip of red paper.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 1:56:44 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ah, the fun that it was. In the garage with a hammer from dad's workbench, whacking the hell out of strip of red paper.

yep ... and when we had no red strips of paper, we borrowed books of matches, or handfuls of strike anywhere matches to hammer on.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 2:15:39 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I used to put them in a vise.  The bang was huge!

yep did that to suprised I can still hear since why time i wacked the hole box u know strips to a roll one roll to a box 5 boxes or so to a pack of caps. ear range for hours irc.

also had a strip cap gun that looked like a berreta
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 2:20:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Had one that was a C-96 Mauser or Astra 900, detatchable mag version.  Not sure if was made by Edison.  The "magazine" actually came off & served as storage for more cap strips, the caps being fed in from the rear IIRC.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 2:41:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Yeah I had one!  What I always hated was how it slipped sometimes and wouldn't advance the strip, or it'd advance it too far and it'd strike in the middle, between two caps and wouldn't go bang.

I remember my Grandpa would take me to the drugstore where he bought coffee and he'd hand me a couple bucks to go buy something, which was always either Silly Putty or caps for my gun.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 2:44:13 PM EDT
[#13]
*possible hijack*

Not sure if it's the same thing, but I had a toy 1911 from Toys R Us in the 80's. Heavy thing, all metal - slide worked on it too, with the barrel staying in place while the slide came back, just like the real thing.

I seem to recall there being a lot of different models from that company sold by Toys R Us back in the 80s - anyone know what I'm talking about?
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 2:45:12 PM EDT
[#14]
I must've had 4 or 5 diffrent Edison's. One "Lugeresque" with silencer, a Falcon, one that looked like a Beretta target .22, and an "Uzi-esque" carbine.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 2:47:37 PM EDT
[#15]
I had one that looked like a Beretta 92.  It used a plastic strip of caps and ejected spent caps out the top.  
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 2:48:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Still have an old fanner 50 that I played with at my grandparents house, all the other various cap guns are long gone
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 2:48:49 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

You too?  
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 3:00:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Do you remember those snap thingies? (you know the ones, you throw em on the ground and they *SNAP*, and they looked like little papper bags with tiny rocks in them)

When I was younger and more recently, my friends and I have been known to empty upto 250 of those into film containers and *BOOOM* they are quite fun but the proccess is a bit tedious and a bit nerve racking at times.
  One time in my living room, as I was loading a couple hundred of these buggers into tissue paper to later be transprted to a more sturdy container, one of the ones I was emptying apparently caused a little too much friction and........I lost my hearing for the better part of an hour
  We called them ''cockaraoch bombs'' because they were highly effective ''from orbit'' on things of the sort!
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 3:04:56 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

yep ... and when we had no red strips of paper, we borrowed books of matches, or handfuls of strike anywhere matches to hammer on.

Really?  You don't say?  Books of matches and a hammer?

*(tilts head, sticks toungue out of the corner of mouth, and commences to dig in pocket for a book of matches and my tool box key)*
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 3:15:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 3:20:17 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Really?  You don't say?  Books of matches and a hammer?

*(tilts head, sticks toungue out of the corner of mouth, and commences to dig in pocket for a book of matches and my tool box key)*

Be sure to give us a range report.

Link Posted: 2/26/2006 3:29:44 PM EDT
[#22]
A friend had one, and I thought it was the coolest thing ever.  My cap guns were usually the paper roll kind.

One day I sat in the corner of the garage, took the entire box of 5 rolls attached together, and smashed them with a large rock.  My face was all of 24 inches away.  I remember the flame that shot out the sides, and that was the beginning of my tinnitus - my ears began ringing for life.  Mom wasn't too happy about the scorch marks on the new concrete, either.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 3:35:47 PM EDT
[#23]
The red paper caps were actually two strips of paper with whatever glued in little dots. Somewhere around age five, I started harvesting the all little dots from a bag of caps into one large mega cap.

That stuff had a high enough brisance to shatter concrete.

My father did not approve...
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 3:41:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Talk about back in the day! A semi-auto cap pistol PLUS the roll of caps was 100 rounds. Now that's a high-cap mag!
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:58:45 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
*possible hijack*

Not sure if it's the same thing, but I had a toy 1911 from Toys R Us in the 80's. Heavy thing, all metal - slide worked on it too, with the barrel staying in place while the slide came back, just like the real thing.

I seem to recall there being a lot of different models from that company sold by Toys R Us back in the 80s - anyone know what I'm talking about?

I had a plastic 1911 from the 60s, it was magazine fed and it shot plastic bullets(IIRC 10-15 feet)
I still have it, but I lost all the ammo for it within a couple of months, it probably still works though
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:14:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Shit, I still have all my cap guns.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:24:37 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Damn, can you even find the red rolls of caps anymore?

Ive seen em at walmart in the toy section.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:31:03 PM EDT
[#28]
I had this one:
http://www.wonderlandmodels.com/index.php?option=Prod_detail&product_id=315471
it was great until I fell off my bike with the gun in hand and trigger finger in the guard - it broke the internal trigger mechanism and never fired again...but I still played with it...it was my favorite....I miss it...
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:59:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Damn, I miss those things...
My favorite was this thing that looked a cross between a Desert Eagle and a Beretta 93R...
Damn fire, lost most 'em...
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:12:03 PM EDT
[#30]
when i was little i remember taking a whole roll of the red flat caps and putting them under the tires of cars that stopped at the intersection.  i was pretending to be on special ops demolition type of missions.

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 10:15:57 AM EDT
[#31]
I had the "jaguaramatic" back in the day:

http://www.wonderlandmodels.com/index.php?product_id=315442&option=Prod_detail&image_id=96406
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 10:16:58 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I had this one:
http://www.wonderlandmodels.com/index.php?option=Prod_detail&product_id=315471
it was great until I fell off my bike with the gun in hand and trigger finger in the guard - it broke the internal trigger mechanism and never fired again...but I still played with it...it was my favorite....I miss it...

I had one of those as well... awesome toy guns.

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 10:17:38 AM EDT
[#33]
i remember being able to buy cap guns that looked pretty damn real, and this was as late as '88 or so!  Now they're all orange plastic pieces of crap!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top