Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/24/2004 5:07:53 AM EDT
www.pennwarranty.com

Anyone ever have or currently have a Penn Warranty on a vehicle?

Link Posted: 8/24/2004 5:24:14 AM EDT
[#1]
I briefly sold vehicle extended warranties for a company called Warranty Direct, they are also the same company as Warranty Gold. The majority of purchasers never use one bit of it, But this company did pay up when required. The *best* part of the warranty was the 'wear and tear' clause which would provide replacement for parts that would wear out, not including "consumables" such as brake pads/rotors, tires, fluids. It mostly seemed like a scam. I never felt the need to buy something like it as I take good care of my cars.

Boat motors are a different story, as they get ridden hard and put away wet, are pushed really hard at high RPM'S and generally can grenade at any time.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 6:09:41 AM EDT
[#2]
I ask this as I am buying a 98 Explorer and it comes with a 3year/45k mile warrant from Penn Warranty.

Link Posted: 8/24/2004 6:13:39 AM EDT
[#3]
aftermarket warranties are usually bullshit,  when the time comes they never want to pay out always citing that you caused it by not proper maintance
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 6:20:05 AM EDT
[#4]
It's a used car, take what you can get. I wouldn't spend cash to buy an extended warranty though.

You're should spend a few bucks and have a carfax done to make sure it wasn't in a major accident, if you aren't knowledgeable what to lok for.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 8:25:34 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
It's a used car, take what you can get. I wouldn't spend cash to buy an extended warranty though.

You're should spend a few bucks and have a carfax done to make sure it wasn't in a major accident, if you aren't knowledgeable what to lok for.

I'm not spending any extra cash on it...the vehicle is the same price with or without it.  

On the Carfax thing.... I for one have ZERO faith in carfax.  I had a 1996 explorer that was actually wrecked twice (once by me and once by wife) and the carfax showed clean on it the day we traded it in.  The insurance paid on both accidents adn it was repaired by a body shop.

Carfax is only good if the agencies report the damage... in my dealings... most don't.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top