Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 8/1/2009 3:07:40 PM EST
We just got back from a vacation in NC and my Daughter found
an emerald at one of the gem mining places. The staff seemed excited
when she found it.They advised they could cut it and it would be at least a 4 carrot stone
worth at least $2400. The cost to cut is $240. I am a sceptically person
and was wondering if this is a type of scam? Does anyone know anything
about this. Here is a poor pic of the stone.

Link Posted: 8/1/2009 3:09:47 PM EST
I can't see the pic because I'm at a computer at the armory, but if the emerald is milky or if it has lots of flaws inside it I doubt it would be worth much. I have lots of emeralds, some quite large (like a half a cubic centimeter), but they're not worth cutting.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 4:21:55 PM EST
there are some very knowledgeable gem industry people here. i'm sure you can get some good advice.

i'm not familiar with any particular scams, but in this day and age having someone "seed" the fields with large low quality stones so they can then profit from the cutting seems perfect for a tourist based business.

i'm surprised i hadn't thought of it myself.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 4:25:20 PM EST

didn't they have the place on the travel channel once?

it was a show hosted by that hot red head.

Link Posted: 8/1/2009 4:33:25 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/1/2009 4:33:47 PM EST by Max_Mike]
I have a friend that has several nice emerald out of NC mines or outfits she visited in NC, they were very nice once cut.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 4:38:12 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/1/2009 5:25:00 PM EST by GonzoAR15-1]
Here's what a high quality emerald looks like uncut. I'm not sure from your picture if you've got this kind of clarity. If yours is "milky" once you get the rest of the ore brushed off, it probably will not be a very good stone to cut from a monetary worth perspective.

But letting your daughter have a necklace (or a set of earings) made from an emerald SHE found may have much more "innate" worth to you and your family. I say go for it! She'll remember it forever.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 4:54:43 PM EST
Hey, nice find there!

I was just up in that area a few weeks ago, spent a few hours at a mine but didnt find anything, but about 20 ticks found me!

I'm no expert on gemstones, but I would be thrilled to find something of that size! Tell her good job!
Top Top