Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/2/2009 1:50:34 PM EDT
On the weekends we usually invite some people over, and have a bonfire. No one ever bothers us, pretty much the whole area leading up to my house you can see people having fires. Do people actually get permits to have a fire? I know no one around here does. I've got a shitload of pallets to break up and some mother nature to fuck over tonight, bring on the midnight bbq and bonfire.

ETA - Damn didn't notice this was 6000, oh well.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 1:54:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Inside the city here open fires are prohibited, step across the city line and you can have a fire as big as you want as long as you keep it contained. I've been to several fires that were so big the local Vol. Fire Dept. has shown up thinking a barn was burning due to the glow in the sky. They would usually hang out until the fire was smaller and tell us not to put a ton of pallets on at once.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 1:55:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I live in an apartment and I think they would frown on me starting a bonfire in the parking lot.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 1:57:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Inside the city here open fires are prohibited, step across the city line and you can have a fire as big as you want as long as you keep it contained. I've been to several fires that were so big the local Vol. Fire Dept. has shown up thinking a barn was burning due to the glow in the sky. They would usually hang out until the fire was smaller and tell us not to put a ton of pallets on at once.

Yeah, I don't have fires THAT big, but we have pretty decent sized ones. Certainly bigger than a camp fire, we keep it well contained though.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 1:59:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I don't have fires THAT big, but we have pretty decent sized ones. Certainly bigger than a camp fire, we keep it well contained though.

Do you break up the pallets or toss them on intact?
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 1:59:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

We had fires like that at 4 Mile beach in Santa Cruz when I was growing up. There's nothing like having 30+ pallets going in a fire at once.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 2:00:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you break up the pallets or toss them on intact?

It depends on the pallet. The stack I got today only has three boards across, probably be a better fire with them broken up good. Generally we just throw them in.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 2:01:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Are you talking about the time I set fire to my couch while I was sleeping on it?  Or weekly dinners which, during the cold month, involve a fire pit?
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 2:02:07 PM EDT
[#8]
where i live a fire must be in a chiminea or other outdoor pit. no bonfires but that doesn't stop my neighbors.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 2:03:02 PM EDT
[#9]
heh, yeah 6000 posts in under a year, I wouldn't imagine you would have time for a bonfire.

How big is your lot?
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 2:04:25 PM EDT
[#10]
I have fires here pretty regular.  The fire department only asks that we let them know when we're having a big one.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 2:06:48 PM EDT
[#11]
its too hot in texas for fires
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 2:06:59 PM EDT
[#12]
If you want a really good fire put a old tire on it
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 2:11:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
heh, yeah 6000 posts in under a year, I wouldn't imagine you would have time for a bonfire.

How big is your lot?

Couple acres total.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 3:00:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
If you want a really good fire put a old tire on it

Haha, that's what the Fins do up here, "peck a rippin tire fire aye".
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 3:01:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Not on purpose.

I'm going to fire up the grill in about 45min. so maybe.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 3:02:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I live in an apartment and I think they would frown on me starting a bonfire in the parking lot.

You could try... Burn some tires and wear an Anarchist T-shirt. That's bound to get you on the local news!
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 3:06:14 PM EDT
[#17]
I don't know about local rules per state, but even in ohio, there is ways around the no fires in city rule... Because most city ordinances here will you allow you to have a small fire within city limits if it is for cooking food... So whenever we have a fire, we just keep some hotdogs nearby just in case the cops come although that has never happened since there is plenty of property to safely have a small campfire and we keep the noise under control when it starts getting late.

It's kind of like fireworks on the fourth on the july... technically it's against the law but rarely enforced and many many people do it and as long as it is being done safely on property big enough to contain them (ie. rockets NOT landing on neighbor's roofs)  and without any other complaints.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 3:06:28 PM EDT
[#18]
I live in a little community and I do it all the time

Had the fire dept called on me once, boy was THAT a funny story

ETA, yeah I know it's not a real "bon fire", but it's still cool. This was New Years.

Link Posted: 5/2/2009 3:39:14 PM EDT
[#19]
All I can say is DAAAAAAAAAMN 6000 posts in 6 months? Where will you find the time to light a fire brotha?
I thought I was a post whore.

ETA 36 posts per day WTF !!!
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 3:42:34 PM EDT
[#20]
We've done them occasionally.  We have one of those metal fire pits.

Quoted:
I have fires here pretty regular.  The fire department only asks that we let them know when we're having a big one.

ROAD TRIP!
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 3:46:15 PM EDT
[#21]
I live in the country, but there are still laws. From like August to I am guessing Nov. no fires unless in approved container.(Barrel) Cannot burn with wind blowing above certain MPH.. Laws or rules like that. Can't allow fire to start neighbors house on fire.
Etc.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 3:49:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Yep, all the time in the summer months. My neighbor had a connection on 24in steel semi wheels, they make a pretty bitchin fire pit. There are several in the neighborhood, and some nights we have "bucket parties". Roaming the neighborhood with a bucket full of margaritas.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 3:49:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Things are a bit more restrictive here in CA. For obvious reasons.

eta But yeah, recreational fires are permitted with some restrictions.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 4:01:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
All I can say is DAAAAAAAAAMN 6000 posts in 6 months? Where will you find the time to light a fire brotha?
I thought I was a post whore.

ETA 36 posts per day WTF !!!

I"m setting aside a few hours tonight for some grilling and fire starting. Then tomorrow i'll set aside a few to go shooting.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 4:21:36 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ROAD TRIP!
Anytime.  I had to go shoot some pics.

Here is the main fire pit.  The large tractor rim in the background is usually in the pit because the fires were splitting all of my rocks.

Here's my feeder pile that will probably be torched whole this coming Winter.

I've got a metal fire pit in my wife's covered chill area on the other side of the back yard.

Link Posted: 5/2/2009 4:28:01 PM EDT
[#26]
All the time.  Friends, fire, beer, music, food.  Can't beat it.

No permits required 'round here.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 4:30:18 PM EDT
[#27]
We have a small fire pit on the back patio that we use during the summer months when we have get-togethers at our place.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 4:35:30 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

ROAD TRIP!
Anytime.  I had to go shoot some pics.

Here is the main fire pit.  The large tractor rim in the background is usually in the pit because the fires were splitting all of my rocks.

http://www.k9operations.com/arfcom/fire01.jpg

Here's my feeder pile that will probably be torched whole this coming Winter.

http://www.k9operations.com/arfcom/fire03.jpg

I've got a metal fire pit in my wife's covered chill area on the other side of the back yard.

Man, I wish I had a yard that big

Link Posted: 5/2/2009 4:37:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Yeah, I have one of those free standing metal fire pits that has a mesh screen all around it and a top with a vent. It puts out some great heat on the patio. I usually burn any wood I can get my hands on....old pallets, 2x4's, scrap wood, etc.......

In the old days, when I was a kid, we had a 55 gallon drum in the back yard that we would burn pretty much anything in, garbage, leaves, junk wood, etc....they don't let you do that around here anymore though....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top