Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/2/2015 6:07:40 PM EDT
My customer (outside the USA) is paying me periodically via wire transfer.  Every payment has ~$50 deducted for intermediary bank fees, plus my bank charges me an additional ~$15 for receiving a wire transfer.  

I have no problem paying my bank's fees.  

Question: who normally pays these intermediary bank fees?  

In my view, it's up to the customer to get the funds to me.  They can send a check, cash, wire transfer, or whatever.  But if some intermediary banks make a deduction from their payment, it's up to my customer to cover it.  

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 6:16:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Just add the Intermediary bank fees to future invoices.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 6:18:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I've both sent and received wire transfers, but only from US banks.  USAA charged me $20 to send a transfer, but did not charge to receive a transfer.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 6:19:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Price it into your product. Most banks charge a fee to receive wires, though a few don't. Check your customer agreement for your bank's list of charges.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 6:19:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
My customer (outside the USA) is paying me periodically via wire transfer.  Every payment has ~$50 deducted for intermediary bank fees, plus my bank charges me an additional ~$15 for receiving a wire transfer.  

In my view, it's up to the customer to get the funds to me.  They can send a check, cash, wire transfer, or whatever.  But if some intermediary banks make a deduction from their payment, it's up to my customer to cover it.  
View Quote

Agree with you.

They are sending you a specific amount, so they are are responsible for the fees in getting the payment to you.   They have other options.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 6:27:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Agree with you.

They are sending you a specific amount, so they are are responsible for the fees in getting the payment to you.   They have other options.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agree with you.

^ This.

The only other thing would be if there is a currency conversion going on. It is possible that the conversion rate the bank is using is slightly different than the market trend.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 6:32:04 PM EDT
[#6]
is he paying you because he owes you money or is he still buying product?
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 6:38:45 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

is he paying you because he owes you money or is he still buying product?
View Quote

He's buying services, but his bank is in London.  

I really don't like paying ~$65 per transaction in bank fees.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top