Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/13/2005 3:31:10 PM EDT
I looked on edmunds and the reviews that some people gave said it was great, others said the car was a quality crapshoot. My wife found one she really likes and the price is right. Fully loaded 2001 for $7k.

It's a beautiful car but it has so many gizmos it could be a nightmare to upkeep.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 3:35:13 PM EDT
[#1]
It's the Caddy that zigs......
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 3:38:25 PM EDT
[#2]
My mechanic told me it's based on an Opal design.  Has a frame under it like an Abrams tank.
I've owned 2 Caddies and loved one.  Both were very espensive to maintain, however.  I had an Eldo and a Deville.  The Deville got milage I wish I was getting now, the Eldo didn't.  The Northstar rocks.  
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 3:40:42 PM EDT
[#3]
It is the sport edition and has all the toys. I just dont want to get her a car that is going to spend more time in the shop than in the garage.... some of the reviews hinted towards some real spotty QC.

BTW Stay FAR AWAY from any Dodge or Mitsubishi! My wifes stratus is in the shop with a blown head gasket from overheating. It is on it's 3rd engine, the previous 2 blew their guts. Mitsubishi has HORRIBLE engines.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 5:34:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Ja, basically a rebadged opal as previously said. Caddy's ain't cheap when they get a few years old. Everything costs $$$. Rebadged it might be but start looking for opal parts. The Cimmeron of the 21st century.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 5:39:55 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Ja, basically a rebadged opal as previously said. Caddy's ain't cheap when they get a few years old. Everything costs $$$. Rebadged it might be but start looking for opal parts. The Cimmeron of the 21st century.

Ahhh the Cimmaron, Cadie's Cavalier
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 5:42:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Buddy of mine financed one a few years ago, the engine took a dump on him and his only way out was to lease a civic for 3 years.

Based on his experience I would not get one. Hell I don't know why anyone would buy a gm car anymore.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 5:49:05 PM EDT
[#7]
I took one for a ride the other day that a fella was selling. 1999 with 50,000 miles.
Engine didnt have any misses, even with the air on, but the tranny had some shifting problems.

He was wanting to trade for my wifes GMC Jimmy with 96,000. I had to decline.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 5:52:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Caddy's are like any other "luxury" car. All the doo-dads will get you in the end. BMW and Mercedes are also $$$$$$ intensive after a few years. Owners of these cars understand that, caddy owners do not. Buick is still the best car GM makes, the late 90s early 2000s had very good ratings as far a dependability goes. Go figure.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:20:56 PM EDT
[#9]
The Catera is anything but a luxury car. It's a rebadged Opel Omega, which is a large four-door, but not even the top of the Opel line at the time. (That was the Opel Senator, which is the same thing, but better!). In its day, the Omega was a very popular vehicle, but it began to fall by the wayside when people decided that conventional large four-doors were too boring.

The Omega is the most common 'new' large car in Iraq right now. If the same logic behind all the Toyota trucks applies, (They won't die, even in the third world), it says good things for the Omega's reliability.

NTM
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:29:32 PM EDT
[#10]
My (2nd) Eldorado lasted 14 years before I sold it (still running, see it about once a week) although it did have to have the power antenna replaced. The one before that lasted 9 years, and was a little hard on front brakes. Other than that, no problems.

Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:49:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Nice cars but their one weakness is their electrical systems.  Supposed to be lots of bugs and many TSBs for electrical problems.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top