Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/2/2008 6:53:45 PM EDT
Just curious if anyone has any first hand experience moving trees with a tree spade?  I am interested in moving/potting some very big trees and wanted some advice from someone that has done it before.  Thanks
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 3:56:49 AM EDT
[#1]
After college I was working for a landscaper and wewere using a skid loader with the tree spade attachment. they can be moved and moved successfully. I do not know how big of a tree that you can actually pot, but my advice would be to contact a landscaper or an arborist(maybe at a local university) to find the best method and the best time of the year to do this.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 4:47:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the input.  I have a area that was allowed to grow up naturally and has thousands of different varieties of hardwoods that are from 10 to 30 feet tall but are too thick and was curious if I could possibly transplant them to pots to sell them.  Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 7:33:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Prep work is needed over a year or so to prepare larger trees for moving.

Crown pruning and root pruning are needed to try and get a compact root ball.

Keep in mind the normal root spread is considered to match the crown spread.

While a spade truck can remove a decent volume, it often is still smaller than the crown.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 10:00:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 5:33:06 PM EDT
[#5]
I appreciate the honest advice,  At least I will not waist my time.  Thanks
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top