Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Durkin Tactical Franklin Armory
User Panel

Posted: 4/22/2007 9:30:01 AM EDT
My 2 year old Toshiba PSU took a shit on me, I'm debating between replacing the psu($80shipped) or just buying a new laptop. I have no complaints other then battery life on the Toshiba, but I know with my luck something else will go after I get the PSU.
Jerkit city has an Acer that sounds good for $569 after rebates Laptop in question
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 9:34:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes, they're awesome. The only problem I've had with mine is that I tried prying a couple keys off to change it to a Dvorak layout, and couldn't put them back on properly, and that's my own stupid fault.
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 9:37:49 AM EDT
[#2]
No, but this guy jackass sent me a box full of Anus laptops.
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 9:38:03 AM EDT
[#3]
I got mine last fall in a Circuit City deal with a lexmark printer, D link wireless router and CA software for $250.  I couldn't be happier.  (Aspire 3610)

I screwed up a .dll in there somewhere and it crashes on me about once every 2 weeks, but other than that... and that was my fault.  It runs great, does my graphics for our laser engraving company just fine, and plays all my games fine with the stock memory.

My only complaint about Acer is that they don't automatically include the OEM Windows restore CD.  You have to order it from them seperately.
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 9:45:08 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

My only complaint about Acer is that they don't automatically include the OEM Windows restore CD.  You have to order it from them seperately.

No recover cd's included at all? Damn usually the first thing I do when i get a new PC is get rid of any partitions and reformat to do an install w/o all the extra bs programs that come bundled
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 9:45:51 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I got mine last fall in a Circuit City deal with a lexmark printer, D link wireless router and CA software for $250.  I couldn't be happier.  (Aspire 3610)

I screwed up a .dll in there somewhere and it crashes on me about once every 2 weeks, but other than that... and that was my fault.  It runs great, does my graphics for our laser engraving company just fine, and plays all my games fine with the stock memory.

+1 about the operating system.  What the fuck is the point of selling somebody a computer without an operating system?  Oh yeah, thats right, to make more money off them.  And the savings aren't getting passed on to you either.  

I have an ACER and a Dell.  While the issue is really model and requirements dependent, I very much prefer my dell.  I did get my wife a pretty cheap ACER and it was a decent deal.  At least until she fucked her system up and now requires a clean install of windows.  By the time I purchase another windows liscence I could have gotten her a better system WITH a liscence.

Not providing an OS disc is a shitty way of taking advantage of non-techie people.  They think, wow look what a good deal!  Then when they eventually need the disc/liscence, they don't have one.

If anyone can correct me on this feel free.  I don't like it.
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 9:47:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Brother worked for them in the spare parts departement. I wonder if that has something to do with him NOT owning any Acer PC`s?
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 9:49:25 AM EDT
[#7]
3003lci model user

I bought it because after rebates it was 500, it turned out to be so good, I use it for every thing.

There not bad, oh yeah the whole CD thing sucks. It does bring reformat CD's, were windows is bundled into them and Norton anti virus
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 9:52:50 AM EDT
[#8]
I have one thats a few years old and I don't have any complaints. I noticed yesterday that walmart has a few of them for a pretty decent price.
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 9:53:53 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Brother worked for them in the spare parts departement. I wonder if that has something to do with him NOT owning any Acer PC`s?

The same could probably be said for many companies.
There are several restaurants I won't eat at because I've seen their kitchens.

That being said, I've got no complaints with my almost 2 year old Acer Aspire.
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 9:54:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 9:55:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Santa brought me one last dec.

I couldn't be happier with it... except for the key thing.

The baby (18 month old boy... named john moses btw) brought a handful of keys out to the garage for me.  

Now I have a flag for a tab key.

But the thing is really fast, and the family would rater use it than the desktop.

And I can arfcom at the firehouse with impunity.
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 9:57:45 AM EDT
[#12]
I love my Acer
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 10:00:20 AM EDT
[#13]
I bought an Acer Aspire 5100 laptop last week..same processor as yours but 80gb and 512mb RAM and Windows Home Basic..I paid 499 but had to buy another Gig of RAM and upgrade to Home Premium (about 150 total) I'd say you are getting the better deal but I hate mail in rebates..as far as the laptop? runs like a champ so far
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 10:01:13 AM EDT
[#14]
I have an Acer TravelMate C314 tablet PC.  It's a good computer.  It runs well and can easily handle demanding programs like Photoshop CS2.  The paint on the case is worn off where I place my hands to type, and the rubber feet came off.  I had to replace the AC adapter recently as it burned out.  Aside from other minor external issues, there have been no major hardware or software problems.
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 10:06:29 AM EDT
[#15]
For you guys who havem, do they give you a price on buying the Vista cd from them or do they want you to buy the regular full price box?
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 10:09:47 AM EDT
[#16]
mine is going one year with out a problem, and my dog likes to knock it off the couch on to the floor. mine came with the ability to make its own restore disks, took 10 or 11 cds ( iirc ) but its been great for second computer and for travel. the only issue i have is the battery only lasts 2 hours

btw it was a 500 dollar walmart model
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 10:16:12 AM EDT
[#17]
One note the battery some models bring can be bad (only 1 hour on a charge) but you can get an after market, I just keep mine plugged in. Their customer service is good, they sent me a new hard drive very fast.

I haven't been contacted by Acer for a Vista upgrade, but Microsoft contacted me to see if I wanted to buy a Vista Upgrade at a (so called) discount price.

On a budget Acer is the way to go, it's made me wonder if I should look into their desktops.
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 10:17:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 10:20:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Acer Ferrari  5006

Woot!!
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 10:23:45 AM EDT
[#20]
Yes I do, and the are CRAP

The following is a ture story... on a 2200$ (2600 w/ three year total protection) Tablet PC (C303)  

In early April 2006, my laptop broke for the 4th time in two years. I call texas and waited 45 minutes (no joke) and it was shipped to them. At theri request, I sent the power brick with tit as well. I got it back two weeks later, they forgot the power brick, and I could not test it. When I got another power brick three days later, it was still NOT FIXED - it would not even boot up. Called and waited another 45 minutes, and they told me it would be shipped next day to Texas, the next day FedEx came and picked it up, and it was shipped two day, not the next day service they said. So, I wait three weeks this time, and I get it back, and it still doe not work. Again, I called and waited 45 minutes, and got it sent back in. I finally got it back the next week and it worked.

I would note that it was scrached in several places, but they would not cover it.

So, a few weeks later, I decide to reinstall my OS, and the CD's that came with it did not work. I called and waited one hour this time, and they sent me the wrong CD's - I called and wiated thirty minutes this time, and they finally sent me the wrong CD's again. I called and wiated another 30 minutes, and they finally sent me the right CD's

In short - stay far far away from Acer. They are SHIT.    

Oh, and the rubber feet came off in the first month of use and the paint on it showed excess wear with very little use.

Link Posted: 4/22/2007 10:26:11 AM EDT
[#21]
ive treated mine like shit for 2 yrs..  hell I dont think its EVER been on a desk..  its in the truck .. couch.. shitter..  warehouse floor but no desk...    < its on the bed right now >

so when this dies.. i will be buying a new one..
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 10:28:44 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

The following is a ture story... on a 2200$ (2600 w/ three year total protection) Tablet PC (C303)  

In early April 2006, my laptop broke for the 4th time in two years. I call texas and waited 45 minutes (no joke) and it was shipped to them. At theri request, I sent the power brick with tit as well. I got it back two weeks later, they forgot the power brick, and I could not test it. When I got another power brick three days later, it was still
NOT FIXED - it would not even boot up. Called and waited another 45 minutes, and they told me it would be shipped next day to Texas, the next day FedEx came and picked it up, and it was shipped two day, not the next day service they said. So, I wait three weeks this time, and I get it back, and it still doe not work. Again, I called and waited 45 minutes, and got it sent back in. I finally got it back the next week and it worked.

I would note that it was scrached in several places, but they would not cover it.

So, a few weeks later, I decide to reinstall my OS, and the CD's that came with it did not work. I called and waited one hour this time, and they sent me the wrong CD's - I called and wiated thirty minutes this time, and they finally sent me the wrong CD's again. I called and wiated another 30 minutes, and they finally sent me the right CD's

Keyword in your statement TABLET PC

Their still working kinks out of tablets. When they came out their had to be over 50 tablets or more on the market. look up how many models are still around.
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 12:13:26 PM EDT
[#23]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:

In early April 2006, my laptop broke for the 4th time in two years. I call texas and waited 45 minutes (no joke) and it was shipped to them. At theri request, I sent the power brick with tit as well. I got it back two weeks later, they forgot the power brick, and I could not test it. When I got another power brick three days later, it was still
NOT FIXED - it would not even boot up. Called and waited another 45 minutes, and they told me it would be shipped next day to Texas, the next day FedEx came and picked it up, and it was shipped two day, not the next day service they said. So, I wait three weeks this time, and I get it back, and it still doe not work. Again, I called and waited 45 minutes, and got it sent back in. I finally got it back the next week and it worked.

Keyword in your statement TABLET PC

Their still working kinks out of tablets. When they came out their had to be over 50 tablets or more on the market. look up how many models are still around.

Granted on the Tablet PC. However, the service was poor - to say the least. I was w/o a computer for over a month. That in my book is poor service.

My Dell was fixed and back to me in 94 hours.
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 12:26:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 12:41:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Acer 9411, has a 17 inch screen so when I'm travelling I can play my hunting dvd's without the tiny pictures. Runs well, only problem I have is connecting with some wifi's. Sometimes it works great other times it can't find the signal even if I go sit right next to the wifi set up.
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 12:48:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Typing this on an Acer now.
Had it for over a year, bought the cheapest one I could find and added RAM, works like a top.
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 9:07:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Thanks for all the replies, in the morning I think ill take a ride over to jerkit city and check it out in person, I'll either get it or wait till Dell has one of there $300 off online coupons again and go that route.
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 9:13:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Here is an idea... find the Acer and Dell support numbers, call both, and see which gives you a quicker reply time. Just a thought, since you don't want the PITA if it was to break. Acer might have changed in the last year, I don't know, but when I dealed with them, they gave very poor service and had massive wait times.

Link Posted: 4/22/2007 9:17:50 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
No, but this guy jackass sent me a box full of Anus laptops.

and from what i hear anus in the laptop only costs $1 + 1 $5.00 can of beer at the local gentleman's club!
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 9:20:22 PM EDT
[#30]
My wife bought an acer laptop in November and it has been really good.  Less problematic than my intel iMac has been.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top