Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 12/7/2003 9:59:04 PM EDT
I really have the bug for one suddenly. I realize they are not Springfields, as all the A3s apparently were made by Remington or Smith Corona and it seems that CMP only has Remingtons. I saw one at a local fun store and someone had 3 on consignment for about $750. They were all Smith Coronas, but CMP has the Remingtons for $400.

Is there any reason this guy has his Smith Coronas priced so high compared to the Remingtons, or is he just too proud of them??

I definitely like the sights better on the A3 and they are all WWII manufacture, plus any you find, it seems, would have been used very little, especially from CMP.

Any reason why I should get an 03 rather than an 03A3?

Also, on the CMP website, the A3 seems to have a different front sight. It seems to be a loop or ring rather than a blade. That is what it appears, but the picture is pretty small. The A3s at the store had the blade, so is that inaccurate insofar as authenticity?
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 10:07:58 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 10:14:20 PM EDT
Originally Posted By SteyrAUG: Basically the 03A3 is a mass produced 03. Many stamped vs. milled parts, etc. I don't know that S&Cs are more desirable than Remingtons.
View Quote
It sounds if you don't really care for the A3. If you had a choice of the 03 or the 03A3, which would you choose. The thing that caught my attention was the rear sights, I like the A3 ones better. Is there a big difference in quality from the 03 to the A3? And do you know about the front sights that I mentioned?
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 10:15:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/7/2003 10:18:40 PM EDT by pogo]
Supply and demand. There are just not that many good springfields out there anymore that Bubba missed. I saw a guy pay about 900 bucks for a nice rock island 1903 with a 1905 bayonet. Oh yeah, CMP sells rifles under the civvie market value. Sometimes way under, like the H&R M12's. Free rifle with the purchase of sights. Next time you see ANY Garand for the price of a Danish on the CMP site, buy it and flip it. I might just have to buy a 1903 now that I saw them on the site. My CMP 03A3 appears new, not rebuilt. The good thing about them is the adjustable receiver sight. Mine has a habit of slipping notches - a common problem - when the rifle is fired. But DAMN! It is a mix of blued and parked parts. Rough milling, sloppy fitting compared to a 'tween war 1903. Based on asthetics I would rather have a nice prewar 1903. BUT the prices are beyond my reach now. That loop on the front sight is a sheet metal cover, removable if you want. The 1903 and the A3 have the same front sight.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 10:30:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/7/2003 10:33:26 PM EDT by LARRYG]
Pogo, if given a choice for $400 of either the 03 or the 03A3, which would you choose? On the CMP website, they say that quite a few 03s (not A3) have WWII barrels, which would indicate not that much usage. In fact, they say that some of them are brand new barrels. And what is a Mark I? On the PDF, they mention that a Mark I has special parts.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 10:49:46 PM EDT
I've been looking also because I want a Garand. I read too many posts saying the CMP 03s are not even worth $400 so I decided not to get one.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 11:00:36 PM EDT
Don't do what I did and by one of each. Or maybe do so. What can I say, I am an addict. At least I resisted buying the Enfield - but sometimes I regret not doing so. The Mk1 has a mod to the reciever to accept an experimental semi-auto loading device. Few such devices are still in existence - one is at the Ordnance museum in Aberdeen, MD.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 11:01:44 PM EDT
Originally Posted By SUPERSPORT: I've been looking also because I want a Garand. I read too many posts saying the CMP 03s are not even worth $400 so I decided not to get one.
View Quote
Do you have any links? I would like to read those posts.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 11:07:24 PM EDT
Which one..... Depends on your taste. I haven't seen any of the CMP 1903's, but the CMP is eager to please. If you get a real dog, talk to them. The 1903's come from different places. Veterans oraganizations turn-ins, and a couple years ago they were Greek military assistance program returns. The Greeks never took them out of the crates.... If you are serious about getting one, check out jouster.com. Those guys know the CMP and US Service Rifles. You can get a good answer there. The 1903's are finished better, the 03A3's have better sights. You won't easily find one of these rifles for 400 bucks in the civvie world. The mark 1 is the 1903 with the oval hole in the left raceway meant for the Peterson device. I seem to recall the special parts were the modified trigger/sear, and a little notch in the stock to accomodate the oval hole (?). Really no functional difference between the mark one and the 1903. Only if the "special parts" included the same serial numbered Peterson device with magazines. I would buy one then. [:)]
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 11:08:04 PM EDT
I have been looking all over for the last month so I can't say for sure. I know I did a search here for "1903". Sorry I didn't keep track of 03 stuff because I was really looking for Garand info.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 11:08:56 PM EDT
The 03 A3 has the best rear sight,and what nobody here has addressed is that the 03A3 if in the right serial numbers has the right hardened reciever to fire the 1906 /30/06 round! I would love to have one of these kind of like mausers,but thats all they are! A good 03A3 reminton bolt would go for about 575/00 to as much as a good M1(750.00) or as little as you can pay! The original 03 was not designed to fire the 30/06 round! Punch in remington 03 and then read the pros and cons! It's mostly all pros! Bob[:D]
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 11:40:36 PM EDT
To my mind the issue is whether are not you intend to shoot it much. If you’re looking for a shooter, the 03A3 – as you’ve already mentioned - definitely has a better rear sight (especially for us old guys!! [:D] ). OTOH, it is also roughly finished and has an incredibly ugly (to me) stamped trigger guard with a blind magazine well. The 03 is prettier (again, to me!).
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 11:55:35 PM EDT
No M1903 is as pretty as a Krag. If you want pretty AND a shooter, go Krag or go home (you will pay a lot more, though).
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 12:15:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/8/2003 12:16:47 AM EDT by R-32]
I got a NICE O3A3 from CMP, only prob was that it has a 1 inch crack behind the tang, This thing is AWESOME, but it hurts my feelings to have to take it in to be pinned. I did not send it back because the metal was in such great shape, the stock looks great otherwise.... I will now be buying a regular O3, and picking up another Garand. If you can go CMP, otherwise be ready to pay more.... Adam, I wish I would have gotten the Enfield, but I did hear that they were all mix masters, and at the time I was not thinking...
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 5:28:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/8/2003 5:44:44 AM EDT by rebel_rifle]
Originally Posted By bobbyjack: and what nobody here has addressed is that the 03A3 if in the right serial numbers has the right hardened reciever to fire the 1906 /30/06 round! The original 03 was not designed to fire the 30/06 round! Bob[:D]
View Quote
Wrong. *ALL* 1903A3's had the proper heat treating. It was the *1903's* that some were properly heat treated and some were not. There are web sites that give the serial number breakdowns for the good heat treating of 1903's, but ALL 1903A3's have the proper heat treating. The original round for the 1903 was called the .30-'03. The bullet was later changed and all 1903's will chamber and fire the .30-'06 round. Only Smith Corona and Remington made 1903A3's with Remington making quite a bit more than S/C and that is why most S/C's bring a premium, but $750 is a bit much IMHO unless it is absolutely pristine. I have one of each and both shoot just the same. If a shooter is all you want then the Remington is the way to go. The 1903's had most of their parts forged and milled whereas the 1903A3 had a lot of stampings to save time and money. The rear sight is the biggest difference of the two with the 1903A3 having it closer to the shooter and thus a longer sight plane than the 1903. It also utilizes a peep rear sight whereas the 1903 has the sight forward of the chamber and uses a ladder sight as well. The thing you saw on the front sight that makes it look different than the 1903 is called a sight protector. It is to be removed when shooting, it is not a sight hood. These protectors will fit 1903's as well. It just clamps onto the barrel and protects the thin blade from dents and breaking.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 5:41:29 AM EDT
I have a Remington 03A3. I hunted for a good one for years and finally found this one at the big Houston Gun Show. It was like NIB. As far as I could tell, it was unfired. The barrel is perfect. The sights on an 03A3 make them better shooters. And I am only interested in shooters. Smith Coronas are priced higher due to being more rare than the Remingtons. I don't believe there is any quality difference. Mine shoots great. It is more accurate than I am. Get one.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 5:49:57 AM EDT
the a3 was a massed produced rifle. Having said that they are FAR above anything mass produced today. I have an A3 that frankly has outshot most people that have tried it with good ammo. Even a rough 03A3 is usually a decent shooter it if has been taken care of. Outside the CMP 600.00+ seems to be about the going rate. mike
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 6:16:53 AM EDT
I have 2 03A3's and they are great. I wanted a 03 type rifle, but I do not care about collecting wall hangers, I want shooters. That means that I am unwilling to pay excessively high bucks for a rifle that has probably seen who knows how many rebuilds and rough treatment, likely has a shot out or nearly shot out bore just so I can say I have a Springfield. Instead I ended up with one pristine A3 and one nearly pristine A3. The first one looked like it hard hardly been shot (bore, bolt face, very stiff bolt action, etc...) and it is a tack driver. The second one was pretty clean, and shoots ok, if not a bit high. I have been working on that one a bit to unbind the handguard area and fit a taller front site, and it is better, but nothing like the first one. I paid $425 for the first one and $400 for the second. I also scraped up a 1917 (called by many other names like Enfield, but it is an Eddystone) in pretty good shape for $425. It has a 2 groove bore and shoots about like the second A3. I need a decent M1 carbine to round out my WWI to present "nothing but shooters" US military rifle collection (2 A3's, 1 1917, I M1 Garand that shoots poorly, 2 M1a's, 2 AR-15's). I am constantly amazed that 50, 60, and 70 year old rifles are still around and in many cases still shoot as well or better than rifles you can buy today. Buy an A3 and take it to the range and shoot it. You'll like the sights better than an 03(rear sight looks just like the carbine site to me) and if you get a decent one, it will surprise you with how well it shoots. Ray
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 6:29:02 AM EDT
just for the record not ALL A3's had stamped trigger guards and parts. They used whatever was available and many of the the early a3's had the same milled parts as the 03's. the later ones were all stamped as all the milled parts had been used up. mike
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 7:00:44 AM EDT
Some A3 rifles came with the older 4 groove barrel which sometimes are more expensive and desired by collectors. Most A3 rifles like my Remington have the 2 groove barrels which were easier to mass produce. Mine shoots well and is wonderfully balanced.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 7:52:30 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Adam_White: No M1903 is as pretty as a Krag. If you want pretty AND a shooter, go Krag or go home (you will pay a lot more, though).
View Quote
Nope, I want an 03.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 7:57:50 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 9:14:11 AM EDT
Originally Posted By krazy_karl: Some A3 rifles came with the older 4 groove barrel which sometimes are more expensive and desired by collectors. Most A3 rifles like my Remington have the 2 groove barrels which were easier to mass produce. Mine shoots well and is wonderfully balanced.
View Quote
There were even some that had 6 groove barrels. Most, if not all, were only Smith Coronas that had the 6 grooves but most had 4 groove barrels. With the Remingtons you see 4 groove and quite a few 2 groove barrels that were produced later so as to save time and money. You have to remember, the 1903A3 production was only started just after the war started and they were producing them to make up for the lack of Garands that were still coming off the production line. Later, as the production of Garands increased, the 1903A3 was slowly tapered off altogether. At Guadalcanal the Marines used 1903's whereas the Army did have the brand new M1 Garands. Not even the 1903A3's made it to a whole lot of the war.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 9:33:37 AM EDT
I bought a Remington back in 1980 for like a $100 bucks and then re-sold it shortly after so I could go on vacation....Hell, the thing was like brand new...It still had some grease on it... I should have blown off vacation and kept the rifle...I have the urge to buy one now but have a problem laying out what they are commanding today...
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 9:51:33 AM EDT
I started a few years ago and ended up with a Spring. 1917 03, a 1918 Eddystone, a 1944 Rem 03A3, a 1944 M1 Carbine, and a 1944 Garand. I can really do well with all but the 03 cause of the rear sight placement. Just can't see it as well. While figuring out which to use as a deer rifle this season I put at least 200 handloads through the 03 and never could get it into acceptable parameters. The other 30.06s were very acceptable, all about the same. Really like shooting all of them. rk
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 10:05:21 AM EDT
Great, now I have to get an 03. Thought I had it on the back burner for a while.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 11:24:11 AM EDT
if yore really lucky like me, you may find one at the gun shop in brand spanking new condition (as in i honestly think i put the first round through this thing since 1944.) for $365.00. it shoots almost MOA at 100 yds. if i am haveing a good day. [url="http://www.hunt101.com/?p=71239&c=500&z=1"][img]http://www.hunt101.com/img/071239.jpg[/img][/url]
Top Top