Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 1/6/2002 9:55:57 PM EDT
My insurance company told me I can't stack firewood along the back wall of my townhouse. I have a small, non-fenced yard and need to think of a different means of wood storage. Thinking about either building or buying some type of shed. Problem is, I liked having it really close so I could just lean out the back door and grab a couple of logs. I like to keep a cord on hand, just in case.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 10:57:21 PM EDT
i have been burning wood since i don't remember when, if you own your own home why would you want a kindling box right next to your most prized thing! maybe it is that you don't have a fence . just drive a tee-post in the ground and about 8 feet away drive another tee-post, stack your wood in between the posts and you got a rick of wood. you buy or cut it seasoned and no matter how much snow or rain it gets it will still burn good. it'll be 8x8x4ft tall, get you a good log rack next to your fire place or wood burning stove, carry your wood in as needed. you can store good two-three days wood at a time. its a lot of work hauling ashes, wood ect, but nothing in the world not central heat wall nor floor furnaces can warm you like a good wood fire.. hope i have been some kind of help ..
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 11:19:10 PM EDT
You also don't want the wood next to your house due to bugs that could get into the framing. Avery simple rack can be built, I have one that when empty is very easy to move.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 3:40:24 PM EDT
One word: TERMITES
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 3:58:18 PM EDT
Another word to go with that is diazinon (crystals). Do this and the post thing with a tarp to keep the rain and snow off. Nothing like 85 F. in the living roon with the windows opened.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 4:00:45 PM EDT
What DeerSlayer said. Termites are bad news for sure. Believe me it's worth it to walk to walk a few feet to get the wood. And you can always keep a little bit indoors so you don't have to go out everytime you want a little wood. I've burned wood exclusively for a few years now (don't even have a back up furnace). It is a pain in the ass sometimes, but overall I really enjoy it. To be honest with you, I wouldn't even bother building anything for stacking. I set all mine right on the ground, and stack up from there. If it rains or snows I sometimes tarp it. Works for me.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 4:14:37 PM EDT
Not a preach, but just a reminder to clean out your chimney. I say this because I had a chimney fire a few days ago that could have been bad, but had a good respose from the FD. I keep my wood in the garage which is a little further to hual inside.
Top Top