Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/24/2001 6:15:04 PM EDT
a DPMS or Bushmaster (Yankee Hill) stand alone sight on their flattop? (not the flip ups)  I am considering on of these on my flattop so I can mount my Aimpoint on also.  Looking for a pic of the whole rifle (from rear sight to front sight)so I can decide if thats what I want to do.  Thanks in advance.
[beer]

Ghillie
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 6:19:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 7:35:35 PM EDT
[#2]
OH YEAH!  Thanks Paul, I will be calling DPMS first thing in the morning!

Ghillie
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 7:50:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Question: why would someone opt for this set-up?

This is not a flame, I'm serious. I want to know. This is why:
1) The Aimpoint is made for both eyes open shooting. To focus correctly on the front sight tip, which you will by nature want to do because you're looking thru an aperture, won't you defeat this advantage?

2) The Aimpoint allows off-center target acquisition. If you've got a fixed rear sight and aperture in the way, how do you take advantage of this? I.E.: big metal thing in the way of your Aimpoint?

3) Is this set-up intended to be used as an iron sighted rifle, with the Aimpoint acting as some sort of illuminated front sight post? The sight is parallax free, so won't that hinder correct POA/POI, like the stories of guys trying to use the aiming dot as the front sight, and the aperture as the rear?

Happy (occluded-eye) hunting,
havoc
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 8:03:33 PM EDT
[#4]
On my airsoft M4A1 (which I have 2 carry handles for) I bought a red-dot sight and wanted to do the same thing.  I took one of hte carry handles, took a hacksaw to it, sanded it down, painted it, and it looks alot better than that sight above, becasue it looks like it was really made for the gun. (so does that one, but you know waht I mean)  So, if you want to get creative...I would post a picture if I could, but Im sure you know waht I am talking about.
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 9:07:41 PM EDT
[#5]
I intend to replace the aperture with one from Ashley.  It is bored center on the same plane, and the large hole is bigger than the 0-2 original.  This acts more as a ghost ring, allowing you to focus on the red dot.  One of my ARs is laser accurate with Black Hills 55gr. soft point, my favorite coyote load.  I want to be able to have the Aimpoint on/off the gun at will without having to mess with the sights at all.  Besides, I do not trust anything with glass or batteries...Mr. Murphy will get you every time when you might actually NEED your rifle.  A rear sight in this configuration is much better than the A3 carry handle you left at home.

Ghillie
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 9:19:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Mm14 sez, "I took one of the carry handles, took a hacksaw to it, sanded it down, painted it, and it looks a lot better than that sight above."

I did the same thing for my M4 that has an Aimpoint Comp M on a GGG cantilever mount.  If the batteries go away at a bad moment the irons are always there.  The dot sits right on top of the front post and both sights are aligned.  It's real easy to remove the rear sight when I want to install the PVN14 Viper.  Don't understand why this simple mod isn't seen more often.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top