Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/13/2011 5:52:18 PM EDT
Long story short, I have a 6" titanium plate and six screws in my left tibia (shin, right above the ankle). I was more or less freerunning a few nights ago with some buddies, and in the morning I notice some dull pain, and a "bulge" right above my ankle, where the bottom of the plate makes a small "L" and has three screws. It's felt wierd ever since. Kind of a dull pain, and feels wrong. Last night my foot was tingling; this morning the top of my foot, down to my big toes feels asleep. Not full numb, but just the skin. Seeing my orthopedic surgeon ASAP, but what says the hive about my boring story?

So you don't have to:

I was more or less freerunning a few nights ago with some buddies

^ Well there's your problem...

Link Posted: 8/13/2011 5:58:24 PM EDT
[#1]
I had it happen with a pin that was in my upper arm (near my shoulder).  Roughly 13 years after it was put in, it started sliding out and getting caught in my shoulder muscle very once in a while.    

People really look at you funny when your in the grocery store, reaching for a shelf, you freeze, grimace, and reach with your opposing arm to push a 'button' on your arm so you can lower it again. Lol

If your case is like mine, they'll remove the hardware and you'll be GTG.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 5:59:02 PM EDT
[#2]
how old is the plate and work?

i would assume a while or slap yourself for running, and if that is the case the bone should have grown around the screws by now

Link Posted: 8/13/2011 6:06:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Tingling , asleep feeling is nothing to mess with , that's nerve damage starting.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 6:13:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 6:15:43 PM EDT
[#5]
i have them in me , but not yet and really don't won't it to happen.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 6:17:48 PM EDT
[#6]
My dad had a plate and a screw shear in his neck. You need to get it looked at as it will not get better on it's own.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 6:19:44 PM EDT
[#7]
They took the screws and plate out of my son's leg after 1 year , that's the reason doc gave.  

I know an older guy who has a screw floating around just under his skin on his forearm
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 6:21:53 PM EDT
[#8]
I had a tibial plateau fx and have a titanium plate and a lot of screws. I also know run in mud runs and such but I also train on an elliptical and limit my road runs to once very other week.

This is also the product I sell and my business the last eight years.  Surgeon will take an xray, see if it's broken or if others are lose. Should be a simple stab incision and a screw driver and take the rest out if not broken.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 5:54:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks! The part that sucks is I have an olympic distance traithlon on the 25 I feel good enough to do it right now, but if the doc finds, then I guess that's higher in priority. I've had the plate and screws for about 6 years now- Run a lot, Crossfit, biking, triathlons.
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 6:15:04 AM EDT
[#10]

Link Posted: 8/14/2011 8:33:16 AM EDT
[#11]

An orthopedic surgeon told me that, back in the day, fractured clavicles typically got metal rods inserted in them. They quit using that treatment because the rod would work its way along the length of the bone and protrude into the chest cavity.

He had removed one that was 2" from a guy's heart.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top