Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 1/2/2012 10:37:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/2/2012 10:47:56 PM EDT by yekimak]
I want to have a little more robust sound from my new truck but not sure what exhaust system will sound the best. Usually I am a fan of just straight pipes off the cat but the wife unit is resisting my attempts at sawzalling this time around.

Is there a particular brand I should be looking at? I don't know much about them and what I should look for. I know the cheapie exhaust on my Dodge sounded alright right up until it fell off after only being on it for a couple years. That was a cheapie Midas dual exhaust so I am pretty sure I am going to not get any work done there.

My other concern is that I like the sound of a V8 but have never really heard a V10 with an upgraded exhaust and am wondering if it is still going to have the same .......American...sound to it.

Of course I have been checking youtube.....

I don't care for the sound of this set up, but I am not sure if it is because of the flowmasters or if there is something about the V10 that makes it sound like a middle aged guy impersonating a 7 year old boy making engine revving noises.

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 5:17:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/3/2012 5:51:10 AM EDT by Engineer5]
I went through the same dilemma when I had my V10 F250. Due to the V10's design it makes a unique exhaust sound. I did lots of looking for an exhaust system that would make it sound better. I came to the conclusion that no such thing exist. Every system I heard was not that appealing. Most of them actually sounded worse than stock. I finally gave up and kept the stock exhaust. That was back in 2005 so I don't know if anything different has come on the market since.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 5:27:35 AM EDT
Ford V10 is nothing but a castrated bull!!!! God I hate that engine in my Excursion!!!
Don't waste your money on that turd. Buy ammo.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 6:10:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/3/2012 6:13:31 AM EDT by fook]
Originally Posted By Slug-O:
Ford V10 is nothing but a castrated bull!!!! God I hate that engine in my Excursion!!!

An excellent, well thought out response to the OP's question.

The Flowmaster 50 series with a single 3" inlet/outlet is just loud enough to hear at highway speeds, but does not have the 'drone' or excessive resonance when not under a load. Depending on the year of your truck, it might have the three inch tubing from the factory. A cat back system is available to replace the duals you have now.

Unlike smaller sized Flowmaster's, it will not sound like a garbage truck or a Harley.....

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 8:00:14 AM EDT

Originally Posted By fook:

The Flowmaster 50 series with a single 3" inlet/outlet is just loud enough to hear at highway speeds, but does not have the 'drone' or excessive resonance when not under a load. Depending on the year of your truck, it might have the three inch tubing from the factory. A cat back system is available to replace the duals you have now.

Unlike smaller sized Flowmaster's, it will not sound like a garbage truck or a Harley.....

Dad has that i think on his 05 with the 5.4 and it sounds alright.
No droning and a halfway nice bark to it.

Think the stock muffler weighs 50#.

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 8:14:48 AM EDT
Originally Posted By akcaribouhunter:

Originally Posted By fook:

Dad has that i think on his 05 with the 5.4 and it sounds alright.
No droning and a halfway nice bark to it.

Think the stock muffler weighs 50#.

You can't compare the 5.4 V8 to the V10. They sound completely different.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 8:32:21 AM EDT
V10 with pipes sounds like a elephant getting raped.

I had one with one of the quiet flowmasters. It sounded ok but not great. They definitely have a unique tone
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 8:52:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/3/2012 8:53:40 AM EDT by metroplex]
Get Flowmasters only if you're a redneck. Honestly, those mufflers are fucking shit. You're replacing OEM 409 stainless (possibly 304 polished stainless tips) with aluminized junk if you go through with this. I've yet to hear a single Flowmaster setup sound nice, and if you live in a state that uses salt for winter road conditions, don't expect longevity from the Flowmasters.

If you're serious about an exhaust system, get Magnaflow, Borla, or any other stainless setup. But all it will do is just increase drone and volume. I tried a set of Pypes on my 07 Mustang GT and went back to stock after 6 months. The drone was unbearable. The drone-free aftermarket systems (if they exist for your application) are usually 2-3 times more expensive due to money spent on NVH testing to reduce/mitigate the drone. Redneck engineering is less expensive, essentially slapping on a pair of Flowmasters and making a grin while permanently losing your hearing.

Here's my take on the Ford V10:
It is just a 5.4L V8 with 2 extra cylinders. It cannot rev high enough to make more power and take advantage of extra valves in the cylinder heads. It also guzzles gas like crazy. While it is a V10, it is not the same as a Lamborghini or Dodge Viper V10 engine and you won't get that sound of the Ford.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 9:57:24 AM EDT
In my experience 9 times out of a 10 a magnaflow will sound better then a flowmaster muffler...Most of the time it won't be as loud, but it will sound better, I would check into those....
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 10:57:42 AM EDT
I've never heard a v10 with modified exhaust that sounded like anything other than ASS

At best they end up sounding like two sick 6cyl engines in tandem.

Save your $$ and thank us later once you hear one of these ungodly pagan cylinder count engines firsthand
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 4:43:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/3/2012 4:47:53 PM EDT by Infallible]
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:

I had one with one of the quiet flowmasters. It sounded ok but not great. They definitely have a unique tone

You should hear my M5, its like the whole herd at once and I love it.
Originally Posted By Krochus:
I've never heard a v10 with modified exhaust that sounded like anything other than ASS

Save your $$ and thank us later once you hear one of these ungodly pagan cylinder count engines firsthand

Apparently youre not a formula one fan or have any experience with vehicles other than trucks.
V10 Goodness
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 5:36:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/3/2012 5:39:39 PM EDT by Krochus]
Originally Posted By Infallible:

We

Apparently youre not a formula one fan or have any experience with vehicles other than trucks.
V10 Goodness

Well seeing as this thread is about v10 heavy duty trucks and not the eurotrash version of NASCAR.....then yeah pretty much
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 8:34:04 PM EDT
My co worker has a V10 with a single 3" Magnaflow(replaced the factory set up due to it rusting out).

Sounds about as good as the unique sound a V10 makes can get.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 8:36:27 PM EDT
Thanks guys. I went through a bunch of youtube vids last night and they all sounded like an angry kazoo which isn't more appealing than the one-long-inhale sound that it currently has.

I realized just last week that every car or truck I have ever owned had had the exhaust cut, replaced, or modified somehow.....damn I hate to break a streak.

The beefiest sounding motor surprisingly was the Chevy 2.8. Those things were really low toned and bassy.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:25:09 AM EDT
Originally Posted By yekimak:
Thanks guys. I went through a bunch of youtube vids last night and they all sounded like an angry kazoo which isn't more appealing than the one-long-inhale sound that it currently has.

I realized just last week that every car or truck I have ever owned had had the exhaust cut, replaced, or modified somehow.....damn I hate to break a streak.

The beefiest sounding motor surprisingly was the Chevy 2.8. Those things were really low toned and bassy.

In my opinion, stick with a single outlet exhaust. For some reason odd number cylinders don't sound good(i.e. splittling 10 or six into duals).

Funny you mention the 2.8 as sounding good. I had a 2.8 S10 that sounded nice through a single 2.5 inch Magnaflow.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:17:41 PM EDT

See this part here? Yeah this part acknowledges what I state below.

We

V10 Goodness

Well seeing as this thread is about v10 heavy duty trucks and not the eurotrash version of NASCAR.....then yeah pretty much

Well seeing as how you have the inability to either comprehend or construct a viable first statement, its no wonder why you have such a difficult time in actually knowing what you speak of. As for the Eurotrash Nascar comment, all I can do is laugh in your face. Name me another fullsize 4 door sedan that can approach 200mph with little to no modifications.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:20:26 PM EDT
this is how it should sound

We

V10 Goodness

Well seeing as how you have the inability to either comprehend or construct a viable first statement, its no wonder why you have such a difficult time in actually knowing what you speak of. As for the Eurotrash Nascar comment, all I can do is laugh in your face. Name me another fullsize 4 door sedan that can approach 200mph with little to no modifications.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:40:39 PM EDT

After watching more vids it is beginning to sound like (haha Punny!) straight pipe off the cat is the most robust sounding.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:51:53 PM EDT

We

V10 Goodness

WOW! A BMW driver getting all bent out of shape over a perceived slight that really doesn't involve them.......suprise suprise

The eurotrash NASCAR comment refers to F1 racing you walking stereotype.

What's the difference between a BMW and a porcupine? ???????

Wait for it

Wait

A little longer

Ready?

The BMW has its pricks on the inside!
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 8:00:13 PM EDT
own a "turd" for nearly 10 years.

spec'ed it, had it shipped to AK, have 100K+.

not one lick of trouble. 4x4, crew cab, 3.73 short box.

the engine exhaust tricks out there just don't sound right.

keep it stock and run the hell out of these "turds" for 400k+ mile engines before rebuild.

and i get nearly 12 in the city and almost 17 highlway.... yeah they really suck!
Top Top